Surveillance bill includes internet records storage

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3101 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The internet activity of everyone in Britain will have to be stored for a year by service providers, under new surveillance law plans.

Police and intelligence officers will be able to see the names of sites people have visited without a warrant, Home Secretary Theresa May said.

But there would be new safeguards over MI5, MI6 and the police spying on the full content of people's web use.

Mrs May told MPs the proposed powers were needed to fight crime and terror.

◾Follow the latest developments on our live page

The wide-ranging draft Investigatory Powers Bill also contains proposals covering how the state can hack devices and run operations to sweep up large amounts of data as it flows through the internet, enshrining in law the previously covert activities of GCHQ, as uncovered by whistleblower Edward Snowden.

The draft bill's measures include:

◾Giving a panel of judges the power to block spying operations authorised by the home secretary

◾A new criminal offence of "knowingly or recklessly obtaining communications data from a telecommunications operator without lawful authority", carrying a prison sentence of up to two years

◾Local councils to retain some investigatory powers, such as surveillance of benefit cheats, but they will not be able to access online data stored by internet firms

◾The Wilson doctrine - preventing surveillance of Parliamentarians' communications - to be written into law

◾Police will not be able to access journalistic sources without the authorisation of a judge

◾A legal duty on British companies to help law enforcement agencies hack devices to acquire information if it is reasonably practical to do so

◾Former Appeal Court judge Sir Stanley Burnton is appointed as the new interception of communications commissioner

BBC

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is only a Bill like any other from this edited Government agenda

Its all about control of the population through fear mongering

This Snoopers Charter Mark 2 will be slung out just like the last one

And it was Shami Chakrabarti who stopped detention without trial, setion 44 Anti Terrorist Act where tourists were being arrested for simply taking photographs

Keep making a name for yourself Shami

Edited by Conniff

Do you know what? I really couldn't care less if someone can see what I do online - honestly...

My internet banking, fine - I'm sure the police could access my accounts if needed. My browsing history, also fine - I'm not doing anything I shouldn't. My facetime chats - mostly with a four year old talking about what toy they want next.

If you're doing something worth hiding then fine, that's your lookout but for 99.9999999999999% of the population it really doesn't matter does it - it's not like they weren't doing it already.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

It is only a Bill like any other from this edited Government agenda

Its all about control of the population through fear mongering

This Snoopers Charter Mark 2 will be slung out just like the last one

And it was Shami Chakrabarti who stopped detention without trial, setion 44 Anti Terrorist Act where tourists were being arrested for simply taking photographs

Keep making a name for yourself Shami

Seems someone has something to hide, probably doesn't want anyone to know .......

Edited by slick132

Thressa May

“If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear”, in order to justify increased and invasive surveillance.

This argument is not only dangerous, but dishonest and cowardly.

My reasons are:

1.These new rules may change for greater powers through undemocratic delegated legislation (No parliamentary oversight)

2. It is not the Government to determing who i have to fear

3. Laws must be broken for society to progress

4. Privacy is a basic human right and need (That is why they want to get rid of the ECHR}

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety"

Benjamin Franklin

Another leader who stood against English tyranny of the time

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

:-x

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

Seems someone has something to hide, probably doesn't want anyone to know .......

I find arguments like this...unpersuasive.

We could just let the government set up spy cameras in everyone's living rooms. After all, if you have nothing to hide...

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

If you look at this objectively all that is needed to escape survaliance is a Pay as you go dongle and a tablet

Even on your home PC all you need is a VPN or use the Tor network to stop people snooping

This whole snoopers charter is a joke as the real criminals will simply use Tor or a disposable Sim card to avoid detection

do you need a boxing ring? :boxing:

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

Fine, if they really want to see the amount of spam email I get and the oh so dull spreadsheet I have.

Someone mentioned online banking - I'm sure they'd have to draw a line somewhere when it comes your personal details. Whilst they'd have a right to see that you're looking at how to make a bomb, I'm sure they'd only be able to go as far as "visited bank website" and no further.

Fine, if they really want to see the amount of spam email I get and the oh so dull spreadsheet I have.

Someone mentioned online banking - I'm sure they'd have to draw a line somewhere when it comes your personal details. Whilst they'd have a right to see that you're looking at how to make a bomb, I'm sure they'd only be able to go as far as "visited bank website" and no further.

Correct, I think. But OD makes a good point - people who really are up to no good will just use TOR or a VPN. Either of these things are trivially easy to do, and make it virtually impossible to track the user's activity. The only people who'll be snooped on here are the innocent.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Tor was invented by the American Navy for their spies

The Russians have a 100,000 bounty on who ever can crack it

As long as you use the Tor Browser you are fine and do not download and open any links and use a clean tablet or PC

That means no personal facebook or emails

Edited by obiter dictum

Sorry, but Tor, VPN and the Darknet aren't as invisible as you might think.

Tor is presumably not invincible, on that I agree. In fact, it's sort of an arms race between the snoops and those who value privacy. It's beside the point, though - activities conducted using Tor or other secure technology will not be covered by this proposed legislation.

However, I'm much more concerned about the general principle here, which seems to be that the government will collect information about citizens who are suspected or accused of no crime, solely because they think it might come in handy in future.