Should we trust Sunak or the next PM to fix the Country's problems? (title revised 24/10/22)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 247 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What would you like to see Truss do in the first week as PM to help tackle the  problems the UK is facing ? 

If Government were going to conduct an emergency budget, what should the new Chancellor of the Exchequer announce ?

Who would you like to see in Truss's first cabinet and why ?

Should there be an early General Election, so the electorate have a chance to elect the Government of their choice ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Reactions from Russian state media and the Washington Post.

WWW.AOL.CO.UK

Kremlin-controlled Russian TV suggested that Liz Truss would bring about 'the end of the world'.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/09/06/liz-truss-troubled-britain-leader/

Illegitimi non carborundum

From the Times today. The bloodletting began before Truss even went to Balmoral.

'Aides, officials and staff lined the corridor to applaud him on the way out, as is traditional. Johnson stopped to thank them before stepping out in front of No 10 to deliver his resignation speech ahead of the showers.

An hour later many of those who lined the corridor received a blunt email telling them they were not wanted by Liz Truss’s new regime and to clear their desks and leave No 10. Political advisers were told to be out by 9.30am while 50 civil servants, many of whom had expected to remain, were told to leave by 11am and report to the Cabinet Office.'

• unclebulgaria67 changed the title to Should we trust Truss to fix the countries' problems ?

Clearing out the Johnson no.10 team is probably a sensible move.

A new PM will want a fresh start without people from inside no.10 telling former colleagues that had left, that Truss was dumping the hard work completed previously.

If the speculation is true that Truss will sign off an economic package that will increase national debt by hundreds of billions, then I can see many Tory backbench MP's being very critical.

Cutting taxes, increasing spending on public services, while also subsidising energy companies to keep tarrifs reduced, is a very risky move. 

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thoughts from David Allen Green on the Bill of Rights drawn up by Dominic Raab. He thinks there will be other measures and it will be run by the Home Office/Suella Braverman.

'Dominic Raab and his “Bill of Rights” may have gone.

But the need to be vigilant about what the government wants to do with our Convention rights has not gone at all.'

Raab has now blocked DAG on Twitter, he can't have liked some of the comments. :)

DAVIDALLENGREEN.COM

7th September 2022 The Human Rights Act 1998 is still in place. And Dominic Raab is not. Raab was three times a minister at the Ministry of...

The new government as seen from the US.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

It was an unfamiliar feeling of relief: whatever may be wrong with America, at least no one is looking to Liz Truss to solve it, says Guardian columnist...

Makes one sick to see this

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Monarch remains at Balmoral after appointing new prime minister

• Sad 1

Why trust doctors and science, when you can trust the internets:

blithering idiots, think tank shills, client journalists, disinformation bots and trolls

“The fossil fuel industry is feasting on subsidies and windfall profits

while household budgets shrink and our planet burns"

UN secretary general Antonio Guterres

On 07/09/2022 at 08:12, unclebulgaria67 said:

Clearing out the Johnson no.10 team is probably a sensible move.

Yep, if that is whats happened. I haven't looked at the detail yet.

If the speculation is true that Truss will sign off an economic package that will increase national debt by hundreds of billions, then I can see many Tory backbench MP's being very critical.

Yep, but while guaranteeing energy company record profits as stated in other thread as mitigation for them ... but still an issue.

Cutting taxes,

For who?

increasing spending on public services

What and where?

while also subsidising energy companies to keep tarrifs reduced

Subsiding profits while loading up the taxpayer debt mountain for decades to come, dont you mean?

blithering idiots, think tank shills, client journalists, disinformation bots and trolls

It hasn't been announced yet but from what I've read, the fuel price freeze is going to be funded by extra borrowing that will come back either as a surcharge on bills or future taxation on ordinary people.

Truss is against a windfall tax, but then she was with Shell as an accountant and the fuel lobby has given £1.5m to the Tory party in the last few years.

A lot of commentators would just like her to be honest about how the sums add up and not pretend she can do everything she's talking about. Not directly related but to quote James O'Brien on Twitter

'You can either 'grow the economy' or impose economic sanctions on yourself. I wonder how long it will take Tories to realise that you can't do both.'

• I agree 1

• Andyorch changed the title to Should we trust Truss to fix the Country's problems ?

Truss seems to have a long history with right-wing think tanks, some of which are opaquely funded.

WWW.OPENDEMOCRACY.NET

MP says Truss could be a ‘puppet’ for right-wing groups that have already generated a dozen of her policies

Some encouraging news from Ukraine, is that the offensive being fought by Ukraine and issues on the Russian side, is leading to territory gains being achieved. And Russia is struggling with insufficient solider and equipment levels.  

I have met a number of Ukrainians that came to the UK and quite a few have returned home.  They were grateful for the help the UK have provided but are now confident that Ukraine will win the war soon, so want to be there to support their families as well as their country.

A US former military leader recently commented that he thought Putin could be ousted and the Russian federation would split up.  There has been some news media comments suggesting that many in senior positions in Russia are now very unhappy with Putin and want him gone.

Truss must be hoping that there will be changes in Russia soon that enables gas trading to be restored to previous arrangements.  UK and other countries will not be able to generate enough energy to meet the supply demands, particularly during the Winter months.  So this is not purely a cost/debt issue, but also a question whether energy supply disruptions may cause severe problems for people and businesses.

Until next time, the oil producers have already jumped on the bandwagon

The following is a rather rosy view, and the organised effort would be immense, BUT what needs to be taken into consideration is that this MUST happen, and those who are first will reap the benefits.

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Renewable energy infrastructure will cost trillions of dollars – but savings will recoup costs quickly

3 hours ago, honeybee13 said:

Truss seems to have a long history with right-wing think tanks, some of which are opaquely funded.

WWW.OPENDEMOCRACY.NET

MP says Truss could be a ‘puppet’ for right-wing groups that have already generated a dozen of her policies

Despite some mistakenly calling me a woke leftie .. LOL

Some of those policies seemingly railed at by opendemocracy need examining and considering (in a proper form)

but fracking, and associated deregulation simply to ewnable profit for a few is the exact opposite of anything that is needed.

Childcare on the other hand is utterly unaffordable for many.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's George Mobiot on neoliberalism and its economics which seems to be the current government's policy. It seems to want to revert to the 19th century when there were a few very rich people and a lot of very poor people. Scary stuff.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Just when we need visions of a better world, the prime minister is proclaiming the toxic gospel of neoliberalism, says Guardian columnist...

Whats the difference between neoliberalism and free market low regulation thaterism?

Genuine question. Googling it, just like talking to people about it,  seems to give as many different interpretations of those labels as there are different people answering, and more seems to define the 'answerers' politics than the question

Have to laugh at all the claims that blairism was neoliberalism, when it clearly wasn't.

It wasn't traditional Red flag Labour, but certainly was NOT Thatcherism.

I consider myself a little to the left of Blair in a number of issues, and a fraction to the right in others.

Which undoubtedly makes me a lefty woke Thatcherite in many (rolls) eyes

But Johnsonism/Trussism (so far) appears to be lie and serve self'ism to me. All in an incompetent, dishonest and blustering way.

I don't understand the subleties between neoliberalism, Thatcherism and Britannia Unchained-ism, but certainly two of them are aimed at making the rich richer and the rest of us poorer.

Rees Smug wants to ditch the limits on working hours and stop people having paid holiday. I think he'd like a country of rich landowners with the rest of the population as serfs, the workhouse, etc.

Find the article regarding no.10 Chief of staff troubling.  Having someone in Downing Street facing the issues mentioned in the article, is going to cause UK Government problems. And at the moment Truss cannot afford to have any distractions from trying to steer the UK out of an economic crisis.