B&Q Kitchen problems **NOW RESOLVED !!**

cazzajay
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3731 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good morning

I am in a bit of a quandary regarding a B&Q Kitchen HomeFit installation that I ordered back in August 2013 and still is incomplete.

When the installers arrived, they quickly determined some of the items that were ordered didn't turn up in the delivery, and that some of the items ordered (the panels) were from the wrong range.

Some of the items were able to be delivered before the end of the installation, but others were not in stock.

The installers did as much as they could, leaving me with two fridge freezers in the middle of my living room and a kitchen with a load of missing panels / exposed wires etc.

That was three weeks ago. I have been continually told by the installation call centre at Preston Brook that the items are on their way every Friday (mysteriously they can't find out until half an hour before the contact centre closes so I never get my promised callbacks!)

Then I call on the Monday to find out that either nothing turned up even though 380 were planned to (as I was told week one and three) or that the items turned up but were immediately allocated out again (as I was told week two).

The call centre lady told me that there is a 200+ people back-log of orders for these panels (Santini Anthracite tall end panels). Every week I get an update that I must wait another week to find out if any arrive.

It's a complete shambles! Several times I have been told that "the system is hopeless" and that "new systems - nobody gets taught how to use them properly". I have also had my suspicions confirmed that B&Q prioritise existing builds rather than outstanding ones to "save face"! That was the real shocker!

I have also been overcharged for my tiling labour by about a third. I have outlined these in an email and follow up snailmail (recorded delivery) to the CEO Kevin O'Byrne but the problem is - I read online he is from DSG Retail! That's not exactly a good sign for a customer-centric CEO!

This is the email:

Mr. James X

XX

XX

XX

XX

M: X

T: X

E: X

Mr. Kevin O'Byrne

Chief Executive

B&Q Plc

B&Q House

Chestnut Avenue

Chandler's Ford

Eastleigh

SO53 3LE

Date 04/11/2013

Dear Mr. O'Byrne,

RE: MY EXPERIENCE WITH B&Q HOMEFIT

I would like to share my experience with B&Q HomeFit regarding my kitchen installation in my apartment, which I ordered in August of this year, and is still not completed.

After the start of the build, your installers quickly ascertained that some items were missing from the delivery and others were specified incorrectly by the B&Q Design Consultant Paul Pallister. They arranged for delivery of some items that were in stock to arrive during the build, and even came that weekend to install the remaining items.

Unfortunately that is where things began to go wrong as not everything was available to order to be fitted in time, I was repeatedly told that the delivery was delayed at first due to "system issues" then that a nameless female scheduler kept misleading the installations team (my contact is "Fiona").

Over the course of the next three weeks, every few days I would initiate an update call (as I seldom received the calls I was promised) only to be told that the components either "haven't turned up" or "came in and went straight out to other projects". On many occasions I was promised a call back that did not happen. I must admit that the Customer Service team have been courteous and sympathetic - but that hardly makes up for the lack of action.

It is my suspicion that B&Q prioritise deliveries for projects in-progress over those of us with outstanding projects. In fact on my call with Fiona dated 28/10/13, when I said I think that B&Q are prioritising existing builds rather than the outstanding items, so as to "save face" and avoid creating lots of unhappy customers, Fiona agreed that it would appear that way. I also was told by another member of the Preston Brook team that B&Q keep changing the system and every time people don't learn how to use it correctly.

As Fiona confirms, the panels still repeatedly "arrive in stock then go straight out again". The latest update was today - only to be told again that last Friday's shipment - with my promised items on board - "didn't turn up". I must now wait another week to find out again if I get my allocation, with apologies from Fiona who confirmed my summary that "B&Q sold me the panels in spite of them not being in stock and with no clear knowledge of when they will be back in stock".

In my apartment, my kitchen is part of my living room. I am currently enduring two fridge freezers (my old one and my new one) in the middle of my living room, exposed wiring around my washing machine, a wall switch that isn't wired in and a dishwasher door which doesn't remain open, causing crockery and sharp knives to fall out. I was supposed to host my retired parents last week for my mum's birthday celebration - expecting to have a finished kitchen, but they had to cancel the visit. I have also reluctantly decided to cancel a holiday too as I cannot get a trustworthy confirmation of when the installation will take place.

This is a considerable purchase I made at a premium over some competitors on the reputation that B&Q would provide excellent service. Sadly I have been repeatedly let down through abysmal communication and planning. I had to ask to be spoken to by a Manager at Preston Brook (Debbie) who blindly reiterated what Fiona has said, that "it was a system issue" and that they "can only imagine how I must feel". I really need to know for certain when my installers will receive the stock that I have paid for as it appears they have as little clue as myself and refuse to provide the contact details of someone who would know. You should also know hat I have been overcharged for the labour for tiling by 4 square metres (~35%) compared to the actual area laid.

This situation has caused me considerable additional stress together with embarrassment with family who I have let down. It has severely impacted my leisure time and I have had to postpone a long awaited holiday. This is on top of lost amenity and disturbance in my household, considerable unplanned time and effort on my part, additional phone charges totalling over an hour so far and being charged for work not done.

I am not sure of the procedure for obtaining a refund or compensation for this non-completed work and overcharging - which I believe I am legally entitled to under Consumer Law. Do I speak to yourselves as B&Q or directly to Hitachi Capital (my kitchen is on a finance agreement)?

I have planned to host family again at Christmas - I also want cast-iron confirmation when my kitchen will be completed rather than persistently being kept in suspense for week at a time.

Looking forward to your response within 14 days.

Yours Faithfully,

Mr. James XXXX

That was sent yesterday and a copy sent via snailmail today.

I have yet to receive even a confirmation of receipt.

Is there anything I can do next? Quite frankly I am getting to the point where I just want to swap the doors and panels for another range that is in stock, to get a finished kitchen (I put that to the call centre as an option but was quickly dismissed and told to be patient)

I have been a member of CAG for a few years now but feel I only ever turn here for advice when things go wrong for *me* - I'm not sure how many "pearls of wisdom" I can offer in return for any help but promise I will pay more attention to the forums just in case something pops up!

Many thanks

Cazzajay

Smile, you never know who's watching...

This is not good at all. Will see if anyone on Site team has any ideas :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks CitizenB - I'm currently having a browse around the active threads elsewhere to see if I can offer any help!

Loving the community spirit of this forum!

:) Would you consider your kitchen to be "unsafe" ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I suppose so, there is exposed wiring and the (integrated) dishwasher's door is spring loaded for the weight of a cupboard door piggy backing on it - the force is enough to cause sharp knives to be catapulted out!

I haven't sent the snail mail copy of the email yet - it's sat next to me in an envelope ready to go to the post office - should I hold off sending that?

Have sent you private message :)

BCOBS

I think you made the right decision to Email CEO with a copy to the Customer Service department.

IMHO, the CEO should at the very least have someone check that this issue is being dealt with.

BCOBS

Hi Caza,

If there are any aspects of the installation that are dangerous, you could contact Lion TV who are currently looking for cases - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/announcement.php?f=7&a=276

That aside, you have two options :-

1. Contact the Furniture Ombudsman Service and see if they have any advice about getting the installation finished and/or seeking compensation when it's done to reflect your inconvenience, disappointment, loss of amenity, etc.

2. Reject the entire kitchen on the basis of B&Q's inability to complete the job as repeatedly promised. Seek a full refund and instruct a reputable local kitchen installer to carry out the installation with a contract specifying an acceptable completion date. If B&Q and/or the Finance Co fail to refund in full, you would sue them jointly for the return of all money paid and compensation for the inconvenience, etc.

Can you confirm the approx value of the job

The reason I suggest a local company is that I helped a friend last year who had similar problems with a high end installation carried out (supposedly) by Tesco Finest*. However, the work was actually carried out by a firm called Mark Two Distributors Ltd. Their customer services, their supply system and their installers were a long drawn out nightmare.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Slick,

Total value including fitting but excluding appliances (that I sourced elsewhere) was about £7500.

I am confused - the kitchen is about 75% fitted - how can I reject it? The ombudsman route sounds better - I gave them 14 days to respond - if no response I will seek the ombudsman's advice on the matter.

I actually considered Tesco Kitchens but read online about Mark Two so opted for B&Q (they did a good job of my bathroom... guess that was a one off!)

Hi Cazza,

The problem with B&Q appears to be their inability to source and supply you with the items needed to complete the job. Whether the missing items are cupboard units, doors or appliances, they have kept you waiting too long and you have no confidence in their promises to remedy matters.

In the circumstances, you have every right to reject the kitchen in it's entirety. It may seem like a big waste but that's not your problem - it is B&Q's !

You probably can't go elsewhere to get the parts needed, so the answer, although radical, is to rip it all out and start again just as you would if replacing a 20 year old kitchen.

A new installer would take a day, maybe two max, to remove everything and start from scratch. The installation should be fully finished within another 5 days I reckon.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks for the clarification!

How do I go about rejecting it? The finance company have already started taking money from my account via DD and I paid a 10% deposit? Given I have already given them 14 days in my previous email to the CEO should I wait for the 14 days to be up then issue some sort of email saying I want to reject the kitchen?

From my persepctive I would be happy if I could change the range of doors and panels to another one that is in stock in its entirety. That would be a much lower cost to them.

Hi Cazza,

I would give the CEO his 14 days to respond to your email (and posted letter).

In the meantime speak to the Furniture Ombudsmans Office to see what they have to suggest.

Then we can review events and respond further as necessary.

Certainly, if you're willing to compromise and use different doors that ARE available, that would be a good way to move forward in a less adversarial way.

Thanks, although it appears the furniture ombudsman is limited to £5000? Is that an issue?

Over 24 hours on, I would have expected at least an acknowledgement given the CEO email was also CCd to the customer services email!

I'm posting the written copy today after work (recorded delivery).

If TFO is limited to £5K, that would not be a problem if you decided to take other doors and panels as a means of achieving resolution.

Further to the above, I have just looked at TFO's site and see that the £5K limit could be misleading.

I now understand that the £5K limit excludes the purchase cost of the kitchen itself. So TFO is limited to £5K with regard to compensation or perhaps remedial works paid to another contractor.

From TFO's site :-

The Furniture Ombudsman cannot deal with your complaint if:

• Your complaint is not against a Full Member of The Furniture Ombudsman.

• Your complaint is against a retailer who has entered Administration, Liquidation or who has ceased trading.

• Your complaint is not made as a private individual.

• Your complaint is being, or has been, dealt with by a court or similar body.

• Your claim is for more than £5,000 - this does not include the purchase price of the goods/services that were bought. So for example a consumer might seek to claim a refund of the purchase price (which might exceed £5,000) and compensation (which must not exceed £5,000).

• You refer your complaint to the Ombudsman more than six months after you receive the retailer’s final offer of settlement or answer.

This is the other thread that prompted me to research TFO's financial limits - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?408285-My-Kitchen-Nightmare&p=4388360&viewfull=1#post4388360

I'll get the Furniture Ombudsman involved if I have to but I understand B&Q need to make a Final Offer first?

Right now I'm struggling to get a response from anyone - still not got even an acknowledgement for my email sent on Monday to the CEO and CCd customer services. Royal Mail indicates the letter with a few photos in it of the state of the build was delivered to their HQ successfully today.

I went into store yesterday evening and spoke to the install team but they said that they don't know what they can do (mentioned that they don't have any clout)

When I put it to them that they prioritise existing builds rather than the outstanding ones at first they acted horrified but changed the subject quickly - all seemed rather odd. Something is awry!

I wonder what is going on. The overcharging for the tiling is black and white - I am due a refund or a credit to my finance balance of the equavalent amount..

I still have the installations team (Fiona) trying to "chase up" the delivery but they are as useless as a chocolate frying pan it would appear and also a loose cannon in divulging company policy.

Hi Cazza,

Give them time to respond in writing.

Anything said by staff on the phone or in store is worth nothing in terms of getting your problem resolved. You need everything in writing.

Advise the finance company that as the goods have not been delivered and installed that you now consider the contract with them null and void. Remember the finance company own the goods until all the finance has been paid so under SOGA the contract becomes invalid as you have not been supplied with all goods which includes service. No doubt the finance company will put heavy pressure on B&Q to resolve the issue.

Since B&Q don't seem to be making any attempt to reply,it might be worth using their Facebook page to post a short summary of what's happened..Since they post things on there each day,there is a good chance someone will at least reply to it-and if not,it's been displayed in a public place so other people can see.A post telling how they left your kitchen unsafe,refuse to supply the goods you have ordered and paid for and not replied-even from the CEO-would not be good for business,and will hopefully kick someone into action...

Updates:

Yesterday out of the blue I got a text saying some B&Q deliveries were on their way. Called up the installation callcentre to find out what they were, apparently it was a compuiter error - they sent out some of the missing panels (the ones in stock) but still waiting on the ones out of stock.

She admitted there is a supplier issue and doesn't know when they will be back. She has however talked with the installer in the mean time and they agree it might be a better (quicker) solution to let me have different doors and panels so I have chosen an alternative (which to be honest is growing on me - I might even prefer the new ones)

This morning I got a very apologetic call from B&Q's regional installations manager referencing my CEO letter. I explained to him that last night the installations team said they would order a different set of doors and panels and he said he will take charge of it and get back to me.

I asked him what the plan is for the overcharging and he said he will get the kitchen finished first then send an inspector round to check what work has and hasn't been done and adjust the amounts accordingly. He also mentioned a good will gesture.

Looks like things are moving - I'll keep the thread updated. It's looking hopeful that I get an amicable solution - hopefully there won't be the need to get the ombudsman involved after all!

Still - not counting my chickens and all that...

Thanks for the other suggestions by the way - I have been monitoring this thread!

Rather than facebook, I did try tweeting them and their team did eventually respond two days after the tweet - I got my mates to retweet too and attached a photo of my half finished kitchen - was kinda hoping it would go viral!

Also I think the finance company could be a route to go down if things grind to a halt. At the end of the day they are paying for it not me (I am paying them) so its an "ace up my sleeve" should the current developments turn out to be unsatisfactory. I did get it at 0% which essentially means B&Q are paying the interest - not sure whether that would help or hinder the cause... but we can cross that bridge when we come to it!

I'll keep the updates coming! Thanks all for the help and suggestions so far!!

yes, please keep us updated.

BCOBS

Hi Cazza and I'm pleased to hear this is moving forward now.

I would not bother talking to the installations centre at all. They will just tell you anything to keep you quiet.

Keep in touch every couple of days with the Regional Manager to keep up the positive momentum.

Just an update - yesterday evening a B&Q project manager turned up with the installer to catalogue the parts that needed replacing. They are allowing me to go for a more expensive range of doors and panels to replace all the existing ones, in a different colour. I should be getting a call today to confirm a date for the installer to finish off.

I have been told that an inspector will visit once everything is in place to deal with the overcharging

Looking good so far... as promised I will keep the thread updated with how things are going.