British Gas forced entry & fitted PP meter for prev tenants debt!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3835 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, my first post here. Il try and keep to facts and bullet points.

I moved into a rental flat on Saturday 8th June, well i started moving our things in.

Prior to this, the landlady had been receiving letters addressed to The Occupier, the previous tenant had left debt with British Gas. Landlady spoke to BG on a few occasions and informed them the tenant had left and provided a forwarding address. LL was assured that was an end to the matter.

4 other letters arrived from BG saying they were applying to Court for a warrant to fit a PP meter due to previous debt. Again, LL sent a letter via recorded delivery repeating the facts. LL was assured action was cancelled.

LL received a letter from BG saying they had been granted a warrant to enter the property to fit a meter. Once again calls and letters were sent. All the correspondence from BG was addressed to *The Occupier*.

With the prospect of forced entry looming, LL once again, was assured by BG the action had been cancelled, no PP meter would be fitted. BG were told that the meter was outside anyway. LL even quoted the law to BG, they accepted the debt was not for me ( previous tenant was a male, im a girl). At this point i`d taken tenancy with 2 weeks in lieu to move in , decorate a little ect, i called BG to start a new account.

I keep reptiles so i moved the snakes in first to settle. My son is only 9, im a single parent and he adores his pet snake. So as we were moving in, to make things smoother, me and my son stayed with family till flat was ready.

3 days after i moved the snakes in, i went to the flat to finish some wallpapering. When i opened the door it was like a furnace hitting me. It was over 100 degrees in there. Remember the first heat wave we had? We for this reason, i had turned the gas off completely, leaving the snakes with a Stat for temp control.

First thing i noticed was paperwork on my coffee table, from BG addressed to the Occupier saying they had fitted a meter outside, i was to pay the debt at 25 pounds per week! no copies of warrants ect. Then it dawned on me, BG had turned the heating on, full.

I checked the animals and found my sons Corn snake dead, over heated. The Boa and Python made it, but only because i got there just in time for them.

Furious, i called BG, after talking to a moron who refused to put me through to a manager,he said they would call back - that was 4 weeks ago.

My son refuses to stay in the flat, we had to bunk down with friends and family since then. My kid is now staying with my sister - he wont come home as "But the bad man will get in and kill Irwin and Missy like they did to Coco" . Its broken my heat to see him sat there with his dead pet crying. Despicable barstools.

BG have since ignored me and told me they had a right to do what they did and the meter stays. I got my MP involved and BG have agreed to remove the meter but thats it. Not a apology or anything. This has left me out of pocket by £300+ you cannot stay with people that length of time without contributing financially.Plus transport to school and back ect. Not to mention im having to pay someone to house my snakes as my kiddo is too scared to have them home. We are going to have to move again.

I dont know what to do about this? Any help please?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can i also add that the bottom line is this: BG knew the tenant had left and i was taking the tenancy over. They agreed it was not my responsibility but they IMO sneakily and slyly went to court anyway. I have just taken a call from BG admitting they did know the account was disputed and admitted ( after being told we had sent letters registered) a *mistake had been made*

A mistake does not bring little Coco back, nor does it reassure my son he is safe in his own home.

I would suggest sending British Gas CEO a letter by recorded delivery as a letter before action stating the compensation you require for what has happened or you will issue a court claim against them. A local Solicitor may be willing to help you on a no win no fee basis, as it sounds like an easy win and they will get their fees paid.

• Confused 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I will flag this query with one of the site team as there is a separate section on the forum where complaints regarding gas and electricity companies should be posted. There are a lot of experts on that part of the forum who deal with utility companies on a daily basis.

PS: What a dreadful experience for you and your family to have to go through when you have only just moved into the property.

• Confused 1

I would certainly change to another supplier. This has happened far too many times and BG will rarely do anything about it unless it is made public.

You deserve to be compensated without a doubt.

I would get in touch with your local paper and watchdog. IMO, BG are the worst energy provider in this country. If they ever become the cheapest supplier, I still wouldnt go with them out of principle. I would rather pay a little extra knowing that I wont be another victim of BG cock ups again!

I would certainly carry out what uncle B has said above and list the issues that you have had with them.

Keep us updated

Go straight to the Ombudsman. You have very clearly made every effort to resolve this with BG, and they have failed to respond, as well as having provably told you blatant lies.

http://www.ombudsman-services.org/energy.html

• Confused 1

“The industry is rotten to the core, whether it is in-house recovery and collection, or where agents are used, or where the debt has been sold.” Andrew Mackinley MP, House of Commons, 22 April 2009

If a Cagger helps you, click their star. Better still, make a donation however small, so that CAG can continue to help others.

I totally agree with you DB, but I would worry that the Ombudsman would want the complaint to go to the highest levels before they would be able to get involved.

BG would need to respond in writing once a complaint has been made.

Crotalus, have you made a formal complaint yet and got the complaints procedure rolling?

I made a formal complaint in writing the day after it happened. Its now been upgraded to a stage 2 complaint, BG have to try and resolve the matter before the Ombudsman becomes involved. I have, however, already submitted a complaint to them. BG told me they do not have the finances available to compensate me and my boy to a level that reflects the severity of what they have done.

Yesterday was the first time i was back at the flat since and i have noticed a lot of damage to the door frame. I have a couple of questions please.

Which energy supplier do you guys recommend. I told BG i am terminating the contract.

Would BG have had to leave a copy of the warrant?

All i got was a note on BG notepaper saying what they have done, how much the meter is set to.

BG knew the meter was outside so why break in?

Why put the heating on?

Should`nt someone have done a assessment about any vulnerable people in the house? My son has a degree of autism ( hence his refusal to come home, he is genuinely scared)

Can this sort of action be authorised in a Court against a person who is unknown to them ie: The Occupier. If this is true, we all need to worry, it will be a get out clause for just about any mistake they make

And i am missing 4 pairs of very expensive knickers

Any help is very much appreciated :)

Hello Crotalus, having read Dobiedogs' thread, I have now followed here.

I'm afraid I have no useful advice, or legal understanding, but do just want to say: keep going, don't let them away with it.

I will be changing my gas supplier in the morning. How BG can allow and continue with such disgusting behaviour is beyond me. I won't give them anymore of my business.

Thank you for sharing and keep going.

• Confused 1

Such an appalling story

- and you're so right to pursue this.

I totally agree you should try to get BBC's Watchdog involved and the press

- preferably the national papers

- although if the local paper does a piece the nationals may well pick up on it.

I also agree that you should send the British Gas CEO a letter by recorded delivery

- going straight to the top often gets the best results.

It may be worth asking the RSPCA to get involved?

What 'nasty' behaviour turning the heating on full while you weren't there!

So sorry for the distress BG's actions have caused you and most importantly your poor son.

I wish you all the best with your endeavors to publicise the dreadful events that happened to you at the hands of British Gas

and hope the company is shamed into paying you decent compensation for both your financial losses and for the great distress caused.

have they not said why the heating was turned on ? Is it possible the heating was on a timer from the previous tennant ,they probably turned it on to check it was working ,and perhaps the timer kicked in after they left .cant understand why they would turn the heating on full sounds insane ..

Apparently BG have to check equipment using Gas before and after PPM installation.

The Gas was literally switched off, the boiler was not switched on.

Its Baxi Combi Boiler so you have to turn a dial for the temperature, it was turned on full and left on

( it used all the £10 they left on the meter).

No timer was set.

I use very little gas anyways and when heating is not needed,

i only turn it on for an hour in the evenings for washing/showering ect.

It seems to me that the more the recession hits, the more aggressive these companies become.

I am struggling to find anymore details about this warrant i have yet to see.

Is there a set procedure to follow ?

The Court who issued the warrant said they cannot provide me with a copy of it as its not in my name and i was not the *occupier* responsible for the debt.

In fact they did not even confirm or deny a warrant was issued!

Any ideas where i go from here please?

Agree,

they have to run the air out of the system so will have turned everything on full pelt.

Leaving it on seems like vindictiveness.

The good part is the warrant is not in your name so automatically defective

so you can sue BG for acting on it.

Have you complained to the police regarding the breaking and entering/criminal damage?

If not, do so and dont take the "its a civil matter" rubbish, insist on seeing the station senior if necessary, Inspector or above.

Tell the desk officer or civilian that you wish to make a complaint about them if they dont take your complaint seriously.

• Confused 1

Im gobsmacked.

As my son refuses to return home yet,

we have been staying with family while i work with him.

I came home today to find that BG had removed the PPM.

They have not replaced it and have left me with no heat, water, cooking ect....

. Then joy of joys, they want me, a single mum on benefits, to pay to have the Gas reconnected.

Please if anyone can help me,

i just want my babies back with me,

i cannot stop crying.

Oh no.

Did they force entry again?

You must inform your local council as a matter of urgency. British Gas have now broken the law.

Also contact your local paper.

PM me if you want some help with that.

Can you tell us exactly what happened, and the timeline? Was any paperwork left?

“The industry is rotten to the core, whether it is in-house recovery and collection, or where agents are used, or where the debt has been sold.” Andrew Mackinley MP, House of Commons, 22 April 2009

If a Cagger helps you, click their star. Better still, make a donation however small, so that CAG can continue to help others.

I think you need to be considering legal action here as well as full complaints to the regulators and media.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

So BG, after contact with the MP, said they would remove the PPM. Clearly the implication is that they will restore a normal meter.

But no – in their bloody-mindedness, they have simply taken the meter out.

This is absolutely astonishing in its nastiness, given that Crotalus should have been simply allowed to take on the account.

I strongly suggest you also consult a solicitor – any decent one would take this pro-bono.

So BG, after contact with the MP, said they would remove the PPM. Clearly the implication is that they will restore a normal meter.

But no – in their bloody-mindedness, they have simply taken the meter out.

This is absolutely astonishing in its nastiness, given that Crotalus should have been simply allowed to take on the account.

I strongly suggest you also consult a solicitor – any decent one would take this pro-bono.

This is exactly whats happened. The meter is outside so no need to enter my house, they removed the meter and stopped the gas. I was told by a really nasty woman that they will listen to the calls and if i asked for the PP meter to be removed, i have to pay to get a meter back. They took it literally. I was told to call re-connections in the morning and was told it could take weeks to be sorted out as they have to listen to all the calls ect.

I have a sneaky suspicion that BG will now tell me that until my complaints are resolved and ive paid for a new meter, there is nothing they can do, dropping my complaint may make it quicker - just me musing here but i would not be surprised.

How can i take care of two kids with no hot water, cooking facilities or heat? They know this....

Your first point of call must be your local council. First thing in the morning – sit on their doorstep!

Don’t talk to British Gas unless you can record the call.

Hey Donkey

I cannot Pm you or reply to yours ( i cannot see it) untill i have 30 posts. Do you know if there is anyway i can contact you as i really need help.

I don’t think there is, no. I’ve already asked site admin to alert a certain person re media coverage for this.

Can you post the name of your MP (then delete it if you like) so we can tell which part of the UK you are in?

Your MP should be raising merry hell about this.

Agree – another one to contact first thing.