EON/LCS Letters to 'legal owner' regarding a util from before i just moved in to a property.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 251 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last year a friend moved into a property that they purchased and set up their utilities with Octopus.

They unexpectedly received a letter last week (copy attached) demanding money.

As they weren't aware of any monies outstanding , at this time they had no signal to email them and I allowed them to send an email from my account stating they were not aware of this and that they required evidence.

They did not put any name to the email.

Today they received a letter from LCS addressed to me at their address enquiring that they needed to contact me and if I did not reside there to let them know where I was.

I have no outstanding debts to any creditors so they should not be chasing me.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

LCS.pdf

it says legal owner.

its a phishing letter and should not have been replied too.

its probably an old debt to eon by the previous owner of the home he has now purchased, not his problem, nothing eon nor a scamming fake dca like LCS can do.

no DCA is a bailiff

and have

ZERO legal power on ANY DEBT no mater what type it is.

again it doesnt matter its now got your name attached to it.

nothing they can do eon are no longer the supplier and neither you nor them are eon's ex clients.

ignore them next time!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The bill is for a short period of 20 days from 11 February to 2 March 2022. What date did your friend complete their purchase and become the legal owner of the property? 

If my guess is correct that your friend became the owner on 11 February and switched to Octopus on 2nd March then I'd say your friend is responsible for the cost of electricty they used in that 20 day period, and the standing charge. If the supplier to the premises in that period was E.On then the money is owed to E.On.

This is a common situation when buying a new property. Last time I sold a property the purchaser switched supplier as soon as they moved in but there was still a couple of weeks when they were using elctricity from the  supplier I had been using. That supplier tried to bill me for the all the electricity used up to the date the new owner changed supplier. I refused to pay for any electricity used after the completion date of the sale and told them to chase the new owner for the couple of weeks owing.  That may be what has happened here. 

Of course if your friend didn't complete the sale and become the owner until 2nd March the bill is nothing to do with them, it's for the previous owner.

Thank you both, my concern was not that they are responsible for the charge as they will sort but, the fact that LCS somehow got my name and are now sending letters to their address in my name asking for my whereabouts which alarmed me as I have no outstanding debts with any creditors

Presumably addressed to you because LCS assumed that the email sent from your account was from you and not from your friend, as your friend didn't put their name on it. The email was a reply to their letter sent to your friend's property addressed to 'the Legal Owner' so I can see how they thought the Legal Owner is you. I imagine it isn't hard to discover someone's name if you know their email address, although it's not something I've ever had to do. 

If your friend agrees they owe this money and intends to pay it then they can tell LCS that and make the payment. That should resolve the matter. 

Alternatively your friend might want to identify themselves as the Legal Owner and dispute the bill under the back billing rules as this demand is for electricity used more than 12 months ago and apparently E.On have never sent any bills or reminders to the property. 

Approximately how much is the amount?

• dx100uk changed the title to EON/LCS Letters to 'legal owner' regarding a util from before i just moved in to a property.