Affinity water overcharging me on meter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 268 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a water meter installed because I hardly use any water as I'm away most of the time abroad. I live alone.

The man who installed it didn't show me how to read the meter. He gave no instructions at all.

Affinity did a manual reading after 6 months. It showed 532,000 litres of water!! I would literally use about 100 litres a year.

I assumed this was an estimated reading, but it wasn't estimated.

Affinity say I must have had a leak, but I know I definitely don't have a leak anywhere. I had a plumber in today to confirm this.

The last 2 months meter reading has increased by a reasonable 20 units (first 6 months were 332 units).

So clearly their meter is faulty. Plus ,as I said, I wasn't given any instructions on how to read the meter.

They are trying to charge me £1200 for the first 6 months of use. I'd say it should be more like £50.

They are coming next week to check for leaks outside the house. If they don't find one, what is my position? I have no intention of paying anywhere like £1200.

I would also argue I've been a customer for 35 years.

for the last 10years I was paying £350pa non-metered, so was overpaying given my use was genuinely about £100 per year.

i reckon I've kinda overpaid them £3000 over that period.

Will that help my negotiations?

have you evidence it was a new meter upon installation or was a reading taken, and have readings been taken regularly by anyone since it was installed?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Reading was taken by the installer when it was installed. Reading was “32”.

As I was absent from uk for several months I couldn’t take a reading myself. Plus, the engineer didn’t show me how to do a reading. As he was installing it, I asked him if he needed me to stay at the house and he said it was ok for me to go. (He was obviously outside the house doing the job).

12 hours ago, mamothd said:

I would also argue I've been a customer for 35 years.

So they must know your annual usage from your History

How much water does an average person use?
  Yearly water use in Cubic Metres m3
Number of people living in your home Low use Average use
1 45 66
2 55 110
3 82 136

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread