Can i help?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6027 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Let ME be blunt- a person's benefits are paid to the person in reciept of them because the government has decided that is the minimum they need to live on.

A bank is breaking the law by taking the money intended for that person.

(The Social Security Administration Act 1992)

You really have no idea about this have you?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You clearly aren't aware Ethical that benefits are government money which is intended for the original recipient. Banks are not at liberty to take them.

I appreciate your intentions, but might I suggest that you read around this site a little more, and you may realise that not all the information that your employers have given you is entirely accurate.

You may realise then why people are responding to you as they are.

Just think about why the OFT is taking the banks to court over charges if they are lawful, and why banks have paid back millions in the last 18 months.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

You have combined the two things in my last post. The two were not necessarily related.

You have still not answered the question of how you justify contravention of The Social Security Administration Act. Perhaps you don't know what this is. In particular I was refering to section 187. Often the overdraft (apart from the first few pence of it) is caused completely by charges which the bank are not lawfully allowed to apply to benefits. Often banks also ignore right of appropriation letters too making the situation far worse.

I also note you have chosen to ignore caro's previous post on the real cost of bank charges.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

You clearly aren't aware Ethical that benefits are government money which is intended for the original recipient. Banks are not at liberty to take them.

I appreciate your intentions, but might I suggest that you read around this site a little more, and you may realise that not all the information that your employers have given you is entirely accurate.

You may realise then why people are responding to you as they are.

I am offering my opinion, if people ignore or belittle them then fine, i hope you will not be charged again and that the current information on the site is sufficient for your needs.

I am addressing those people in financial difficulty or those who would like further information on avoiding future charges.

Charges will not go away.

I am sure if a parking attendant walked up to any one of you and told you "That meter over there, it's broken, park on those double yellows and we won't do a thing", you'd all jump for joy.

Are members of this website unable to accept a helpful gesture? Are you really all that disgruntled about charges that you'd take it out on someone who's job it is to make sure no more charges apply to customers accounts.

I work for a bank, i'm a customer of two banks. I have been charged by one. I have considered, but not claimed any charges back. I am responsible for the actions taken against me.

Oh dry up, we're not belittling you.

Unlawful charges will go away when the banks lose the test case.

They will go away from the banks and back to the people who it belongs to, along with all interest leveied thereon. :D

These are examples of the events i've read that prompted me to join the site.

"I paid by card and was charged when it came out of my account, why let them take it when the money wasn't there". I know why and i know how to stop it.

"I was refused an overdraft and then i got charged because i couldn't pay my bills". I know why and i know how to stop it.

"I was told when i opened the basic bank account i coulndn't go overdrawn and here i am overdrawn". I know why and i know how to stop it.

"I have received a letter saying my account will be closed". I know why and i know how to stop it.

To be honest, of the 50-60 posts here, only 3 have been close to what i joined for. I don't care about law, or benefit conditions, that's not my job. If someone reading this website wants to stop being charged, let me know.

I work for a bank, i'm a customer of two banks. I have been charged by one. I have considered, but not claimed any charges back. I am responsible for the actions taken against me.

Ethical Business..nothing against you personally but I have dealt with Co-Op and Smile whilst helping my girlfriend and cannot believe how un-ethical and incompetent the staff and bank are.

Let's forget the unlawful charges for a second (some of which you actually call commission???)

Having closed her account with a final payment (and being assured that it was closed) 4 mths later Gary from Co-Op (yes I still remember his name)

rang to ask what she was going to do about The £260 charges on her account....When challenged he actually checked the account and then replied 'oh it seems when you made your payment to close the account the switch machine was broken so the payment took a while to go through..so interest accrued between you paying by card and the payment going through'.....so an hour or however it took resulted in £260 worth of charges.....you couldn't make it up.

Gary then promised to sought it out refund the charges and close the account. Shame no one bothered reading the account notes before ringing.

2 weeks later ...threatening phonecall from Smile regarding balance on account. My girlfriend yet again feeling like a parrot repeated her story and her conversation with Gary...the reply...Gary from Co-Op does not have the authority to refund the charges and we will not refund them.

Needless to say we submitted a court claim and were refunded. Does any of this ring a bell Ethical Business?...Do the departments at Smile and Co-Op Know what each other are doing???

"I don't care about law"

Yes, we sort of get that impression.

Unfortunately for you and your bank, the Courts do.

That is why the banks have had to return hundreds of millions already and will be £10billion out of pocket when they lose the test case.

You have still not answered the question of how you justify contravention of The Social Security Administration Act. Perhaps you don't know what this is. In particular I was refering to section 187. Often the overdraft (apart from the first few pence of it) is caused completely by charges which the bank are not lawfully allowed to apply to benefits. Often banks also ignore right of appropriation letters too making the situation far worse.

What is your opinion?

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

"I paid by card and was charged when it came out of my account, why let them take it when the money wasn't there". I know why and i know how to stop it.

"I was refused an overdraft and then i got charged because i couldn't pay my bills". I know why and i know how to stop it.

"I was told when i opened the basic bank account i coulndn't go overdrawn and here i am overdrawn". I know why and i know how to stop it.

"I have received a letter saying my account will be closed". I know why and i know how to stop it.

Then it would be helpful to actually give the answers to these questions, instead of just telling us 'I know why and i know how to stop it.

'

To be honest, of the 50-60 posts here, only 3 have been close to what i joined for. I don't care about law, or benefit conditions, that's not my job.

That sums it up, nicely!

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Hello Gary

Unfortunately you're not the only person in this scenario, i'm all too aware of this problem but i must say it's not often but does cause problems when it happens. You should not have had to claim any charges back though.

While you're overdrawn, you accrue interest, and possibly charges. During this time, you're not made aware of it until your statement is printed on the 5th of the month. In this case, the statements going to customers on the 5th of September 2007 will indicate any interest and charges to be debited on the 21st of September.

Now, to the point, all this was happening in the background while you were paying your girlfriends account off. All that's happened is, the account wasn't closed and hence the charges were allowed to debit.

In my experience, and trust me i've done this before, if i do contact a customer regarding an overdrawn balance, or someone rings because of the standard "3 month overdrawn dormancy" letter, i check why they're over. If it's charges, they're gone, it's as simple as that - account closed, no more Gary's etc.

I must say that we do talk to each other, but the outbound telephone system dials the number and only presents the account to the collections department when the customer answers. Effectively, what i'm getting at, we don't have a clue what's going on until we've had a look around for a bit. Sorry but that's just the way it is, we can't sit and browse the account, we have to do it on the fly.

Again i'm sorry for your experience, if the debit balance was caused by someone not closing your account and daily charges accruing, i would have got rid of everything and closed the account.

What is your opinion?

My opinion is that the Act is quite clear:

187- Subject to the provisions of this Act, every assignment of, or charge on-

(a)benefit as defined in section 122 of the Contributions and Benefits Act;

(b)any income-related benefit; or

©child benefit,

and every agreement to assign or charge such benefit shall be void; and, on the bankruptcy of the beneficiary, such benefit shall not pass to any trustee or other person acting on behalf of his creditors

No charges can lawfully be made on benefits.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

He's been asked by at least three different people, but......

Originally Posted by EthicalBusiness

To be honest, of the 50-60 posts here, only 3 have been close to what i joined for. I don't care about law, or benefit conditions, that's not my job.

So now we know!

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Maybe it would be best Ethical if you simply answer the posts that you have seen where you can offer help. I'm sure that would be appreciated.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Maybe it would be best Ethical if you simply answer the posts that you have seen where you can offer help. I'm sure that would be appreciated.

I will do this tomorrow, as i have yet to see anything productive from certain members of this site, and i have now only 5 hours sleep ahead of me.

What a shame some people have made of themselves already. I wondered, why would bank employees leave the site if they tried to help.

They must have been led into the same trap as myself.

noomill060, I am not female. I am male but I have something you do not, which is common courtesy. At first glance all is not what it seems. I do hope you find something else to do tomorrow so i can get on with what i originally planned.

Ethical, as you don't seem to be able to offer an opinion of your own, prefering to quote your bank's slant on things, a thought for you as you drop off to sleep.....

If YOU were in the unenviable position of having to subsist on government benefits, how would YOU explain to your children why there is no food on the table because the bank had UNLAWFULLY taken the benefit money, which they have NO LEGAL RIGHT TO DO?

Pleasant dreams.

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....