Can i help?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6032 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bank with the CO-OP, have done for many years.

The bank has been very good regarding charges by putting them back each and every time. I'm on benefits so it would have eatan half my allowance had the bank taken them.

You really want to be ethical and really want to help and make a difference.

Be the first bank to lower your charges to £5. How many customers would you gain then? £30 with Lloyds or a fiver to Co-op?

Want to help us? Lower your charges to £5 please.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should realise Ethical, that people on this site have been badly treated by banks and tend not to trust them. Most of us also appreciate that most people working for them are good, decent people, sometimes not that well treated by their employers.

It's really not as straightforward as contacting the banks for help for most of us, but you need to understand that charges are outside our control, as are overdrafts etc, and not down to our own irresponsibility. We are happy to take responsibility for our actions, but expect our banks to act within the law.

Incredible as it is to imagine, they really don't or we wouldn't all be claiming our charges.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I think the OP joined the site for a different reason to what is being discussed. He/she has put a few silly statements, but to give the benefit of doubt I will add a few suggestions more in line with what I guess the OP’s intentions were.

Some employees do actually try to do their best for the consumer. For instance I was once told how to receive a cash payment to me for a credit card without paying the upfront fee of 2%.

Direct debits are entirely in control of the receiving company. If you regularly incur bank charges because of these, there are ways of avoiding. Depending on the charges you could receive at the other end, you could change to Standing Order, use a payment book or negotiate a new direct debit date with the receiving company. Also some may be able to increase their overdraft limit. A few extra days can make a lot of difference.

Before you ask, no I do not work for a bank, yes I have for a short time in the past but not in a department dealing with these kinds of issues.

Firstly profuse apologies for a very long post, but this has REALLY got up my nose!!

I think there are various points to be discussed here and the first is:

1. How exactly does a bank customer get hold of a customer advisor such as yourself?

It's all very well saying "I'm nice, I'll help, I can tell you how to avoid getting charged etc", but, unfortunately Ethical, it's blatently obvious from all the issues raised on this site, that getting through to some who gives a damn is difficult to nigh on impossible.

Perhaps you could help our site members by telling us EXACTLY who to ask for when they need this kind of help? That, I think would be a good start.

2. Blanket Stops.

I am a retired Banker (fairly senior) and worked for many years in various departments of the Bank, including a couple of departments designed to "help" customers who were having monetary problems.

Yes, we could advise a blanket stop of DDs. That doesn't stop the person owing the money to the Company and often starts floods of letters from them DEMANDING payment and a re-instatement of the mandate. Whilst a blanket stop DOES stop all DDs for the time being, it also makes it difficult (and often more expensive as some companies charge higher if you aren't paying by DD) for someone already having financial problems to ensure they pay their monthly living expenses.

Remember, by the time people get to this stage they are already in trouble and often need careful counselling and PROPER debt management from an independant body (I ALWAYS recommended CCCS) and NOT from one of the bodies with a vested interest (ie the Bank) ALL the person's creditors need to be managed, not just the one holding all the cards (or should that be all the money?)

3. "To be honest, of the 50-60 posts here, only 3 have been close to what i joined for. I don't care about law, or benefit conditions, that's not my job."

Yes, I'm afraid it IS your job and you set yourself up here.

As an employee of a Bank you have duty to act within the law. One would also argue that you ETHICALLY have a duty to inform your employers if they are acting outwith the law and refusing a customer's access to the Government Benefits to which they are LEGALLY entitled.

Were you aware of this? Who did you report it to within the bank? Did you follow it up? What is your bank's position on this?

If you are advising customers on how to deal with their bank charges you should at least ensure that you know the law with regards to the person's income. The bank cannot LAWFULLY touch people's income based and child-based Benefits, it's the law and you, your employers and all the other banks cannot run away from that.

4. "Again i'm sorry for your experience, if the debit balance was caused by someone not closing your account and daily charges accruing, i would have got rid of everything and closed the account."

Well, I'm sure that is of great comfort to everyone this has happened to. If ONLY they had got YOU on the telephone everything would have been alright!

What would be more useful, if you are REALLY here to help, would be if you could advise people on HOW they can get these dormant account closed and the charges written off. I know of no definitive answer to this, but as you have set yourself as an expert in the subject, you will no doubt be able to draft a letter that the site can put in the library, to ensure that everyone in this position has access to the correct procedure.

5. "I paid by card and was charged when it came out of my account, why let them take it when the money wasn't there". I know why and i know how to stop it.

Tell everyone then, why don't you? If you are taling about explaining ear-marked funds, or changing the type of card, removing any anticipatory o/d limit or explaining ledger balances, then why not just say so?

6. "I was refused an overdraft and then i got charged because i couldn't pay my bills". I know why and i know how to stop it.

Blanket Stops again? I've explained why that won't be the answer. Temporary o/ds. Why not just give us your knowledgeable answer?

7. "I was told when i opened the basic bank account i coulndn't go overdrawn and here i am overdrawn". I know why and i know how to stop it.

DDs? Earmarked funds? Clearing process? Bounced cheque? Allowable Uncleared Limit? The list is endless, so why not just tell us your answer?

8. "I have received a letter saying my account will be closed". I know why and i know how to stop it.

Ok. I'll ask nicely, please impart some of your supposed vast knowledge of the banking systems and processes and help everyone on this site ensure that they never have a problem with their Bank ever again.

Look, I'm sure that, originally, you signed up to the site with the nicest of intentions and have found yourself woefully out of your depth. My advise would be stop digging the hole you are in, kindly thank everyone for passing you the shovel and admit that you can't help much more than anyone else here who was or still is employed in Banking.

Getting "sniffy" with certain posters, choosing which posters you will or will not respond to and pointing out you are using your own free time will not cut the mustard here. We are all here of our own volition and can, within the site rules, and as faceless forum posters, say what we like. You don't have to like it. If you can back up what you have said with hard facts then everyone will sit up and listen.

Agony Aunts (or Uncles) we don't need I'm afraid.

;)

• Haha 3

2007 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2008 Issues ALL RESOLVED

£4,200 in charges claimed back succesfully from a total of 5 Creditors

2009 Issues ALL RESOLVED

NEXT Directory - No Agreement, No Further Action **WON**

2010 Issues

Court Claim from Black Horse - AOS 22.11.10, CPR 23.11.10

Assisting Daughter with Employment Tribunal for Wrongful Dismissal/Discrimination

:) My Head is officially out of the Sand :)

These appear to be conveniently provided cut and paste Q and As.

It isnt beyond the bounds of possibility that ethical was given these to use on here.

If ethical actually is able to help people, he would really be better advised to provide this info on threads where people ask for it.

5. "I paid by card and was charged when it came out of my account, why let them take it when the money wasn't there". I know why and i know how to stop it.

6. "I was refused an overdraft and then i got charged because i couldn't pay my bills". I know why and i know how to stop it.

7. "I was told when i opened the basic bank account i coulndn't go overdrawn and here i am overdrawn". I know why and i know how to stop it.

8. "I have received a letter saying my account will be closed". I know why and i know how to stop it.

But as has been noted, ethical really is out his depth, and simply didnt know how to respond, just kept digging himself deeper.

His arrogant "know it all" attitude is typical and is the cause of many of the complaints on this site, but there is really no point attempting to reason with him. The solution to this situation lies further up the food chain.

I think Ethical has made it quite clear, that he/she has come here to help us,

Can we please leave the bank changes issue alone, the oft case will sort it out not us.

Ethical thank you for your for your time if I were you id just refuse to answer any more question or remarks about bank changes, lot of very mad people here (including me).

Here’s my question:

I earn 2K a month and have a cooperative basic bank account as my credit scores screwed it’s current around 500 and will be for the next 4 years due to defaults to other organisations. I’m currently on a dmp with paylink

I’d like a regular bank account, any advice???

thank you

I think Ethical has made it quite clear, that he/she has come here to help us,

Can we please leave the bank changes issue alone, the oft case will sort it out not us.

Ethical thank you for your for your time if I were you id just refuse to answer any more question or remarks about bank changes, lot of very mad people here (including me).

Here’s my question:

I earn 2K a month and have a cooperative basic bank account as my credit scores screwed it’s current around 500 and will be for the next 4 years due to defaults to other organisations. I’m currently on a dmp with paylink

I’d like a regular bank account, any advice???

thank you

Hello Thepower, thankyou.

There's a conflict of interests with my presence here, i've been asked to leave by powers above.

I will answer your question and bid the site a big goodbye.

As you'll no doubt be aware, we're not one of the biggest high street banks. For some people, obtaining a current account is a basic part of life. For many others, it's all down to those numbers provided by Experian. As we're not the biggest bank, we can't always offer Current Account facilities where other banks would. The reason is simple, if required, it has credit facilities, even if you don't want them.

The Co-operative bank offers a Cashminder account for this reason alone, when credit scoring simply doesn't match up to Current Account facilities. You could run a Cashminder account in credit without a charge or overlimit balance for 3 years, if you've got a low credit score, you won't be able to get Current Account facilities. It is not based upon you as a banking customer, moreover you & all financial institutions involved in your history.

When i tell this story to people on the phone, i conclude with the following information, which i do not doubt in the slightest you already know:

Defaults, CCJ's etc can remain on your credit file for 6 years. During this time, it's unlikely we can offer you a Current Account. Not to push you away from the Co-operative bank, but i'd recommend an application first with ourselves 1-2 year during your repayment program with Paylink/Payplan and maybe another 2-3 years into it. After that, i'm afraid i can only suggest another application at one of the larger banks - one every 6 months or so, too many at once will knock that hard earned credit score right back down again.

There's no system, no real reason to leave it for years 1-2 and 2-3, just trying to let the credit score settle down a bit and not to look too "desperate" for facilities when you're dealing with other unsecured lenders in the future.

I hope this information was useful, although i'm sure you are no more aware of your banking situation now than you were 12 hours ago, i'm sorry but there's no way of dodging that credit score.

I shall bid you all goodbye now. It was a nice try, but i have my employment contract to consider before the better interests of other people at this point.

Regards,

Anon.

• Haha 1

I work for a bank, i'm a customer of two banks. I have been charged by one. I have considered, but not claimed any charges back. I am responsible for the actions taken against me.

Thank you for your advice

Well done to the idiots who harassed ethical into leaving, what’s the point in this section if your only going to harangue well meaning bank employees here to help us

This sub forum is called a word for the banks not a word from the windbags

Well done you can talk with each other forever about how unfair bank charges but....

We all ready know that!:evil:

There's a conflict of interests with my presence here, i've been asked to leave by powers above.......

..... i have my employment contract to consider before the better interests of other people at this point.

Don't think it was CAG. It seems more likely that the Co-op weren't happy with his efforts here

Oh, I think you made an assumption that because of my comment on the banks unlawful charging of claimant's benefits, that I am one of those effected.

Your assumption was erroneous, but I defend claimant's right to use my tax money which the government provides to those in need of a helping hand.

Thank you for your advice

Well done to the idiots who harassed ethical into leaving, what’s the point in this section if your only going to harangue well meaning bank employees here to help us

This sub forum is called a word for the banks not a word from the windbags

Well done you can talk with each other forever about how unfair bank charges but....

We all ready know that!:evil:

Typical forum attitude, as far as some members are concerned.

To be honest if you want to vent frustration, it is wise to not post at all. Hence I am only an occasional poster...and possess a punchbag...

We will never win against the banks if we need to resort to petty b**ching and childish behaviour.

The Power.

The short answer to your question is that MOST banks will not give you a "Regular" bank account until your credit score improves, or, if you open a cash-card type account with them and keep it in "good standing" for at least a few months.

Some banks will offer this, others won't. The best place to get advice is probably NOT from bank staff, who will only know the rules from their own employers point of view and rules, but from friends or forums such as this. Perhaps a question in the "general" forum?

:)

2007 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2008 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2009 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2010 Issues

Assisting Daughter with Employment Tribunal for Wrongful Dismissal/Discrimination

*smirks*

(and wishes I had refreshed my page before responding further!)

I had a sneaky feeling that my post (and others asking about the law and charges etc) might illicit this sort of response.

IF the CAG have asked them to leave then surely their account wouldn't be able to post anymore? This is a question. I don't know for sure.

I think that it's unlikely Ethical can help any more than anyone else on here, unfortunately they set themselves up for a fall and several posters (who are perfectly within their rights to do so) have provided them with the push required.

As retired bank staff myself I have always tried to help, and have, as yet, never come in for any type of abuse, name calling etc etc.

But then I did not set myself up as an expert, despite evidently having a LOT more experience that Ethical. ;)

Forums are for people to express their feelings, ask questions etc. This forum, like many others across the internet, allows the posters to be nameless and faceless and therefore ANYONE can claim to be an expert in ANYTHING. Anyone who chooses to take the answers here or any other forum as "gospel" without taking further expert advice, is unwise.

• Haha 1

2007 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2008 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2009 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2010 Issues

He seemed t very authoritive to me

I'm afraid s/he may have sounded very authoritative to many people.

Sounding authoritative and BEING authoritative (and informative) are two different things.

However, s/he was/is NEITHER and therefore I personally think it's best they don't post "information" that might lead people up proverbial garden paths.

;)

2007 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2008 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2009 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2010 Issues

As far as I am aware, his leaving had nothing to do with CAG.

If you read the last sentence of his post, we can note...........

"..............but i have my employment contract to consider before the better interests of other people at this point."

Any advice given by me is based solely on my experience in claiming, my experience in CAG or my opinion. I have no legal background. I want to encourage others to reclaim what is theirs.

Got a DCA breaking OFT guidance. Complain to the OFT about the DCA. Help put an end to these practices-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/letter-templates/155095-complain-oft-about-unfair.html#post1652270

Register with CAG today, its free, its a great community:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/register.php

kennythecelt@consumeractiongroup.co.uk.

Thankyou Kennythecelt:)

Indeed Kennythecelt ;)

I DO hope that Ethical hasn't been posting on the forum from work! If not then how on earth could his/her employment contract be in jeopardy?

2007 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2008 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2009 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2010 Issues

Would think more of a conflict of interests - if he was genuinely trying to help on a site involved in legal action against his employers.

I also have never hidden that I was an ex- bank employee and have never had any problems - I think sometimes you have to be very careful not to patronise people when you make your posts.

It seemed to me that he had just assumed that all the members on here had willingly got themselves in a bad financial situation and then only used claiming the charges as the way out of a hole. As we all know that is not the case.

If the banks really wanted to help - in this day and age when you opened an account they could offer a free copy of a programme similar to M**** t money ( sorry not sure whther to post the name:D )this might help some people who find it hard to keep a rrecord of all dd and cheques that they may have drawn - over and above internet banking. There is nothing more annoying than drawing a cheque - it not being presented for months - and you have forgotten about it - you check your balance - think you are ok and bingo - next minute you are OD. A piddly little cheque stub for keeping track of things is no good.

Then the next stage is to get a genuine department with human beings who will help those in real difficulty with a dedicated person to deal with your case that you can come back to each time and not be passed from department to department.

All this of course over and above the charges being sorted out.

As I said to the poster I am sure we would welcome people that can genuinely help - so we should give them a chance - as some people may find it easier to post questions on here rather than phone.

Jan

• Haha 1

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

CAG did not ask Ethical to leave the site. I imagine his employers would have felt this was a conflict of interest. I daresay he checked with them know himself to ensure he wasn't breaking any rules. He appears to have been here in his own time.

Bank employees are very welcome on the site as long as they have permission, and some have provided invaluable in-sight into the way banks operate.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

The Power.

The short answer to your question is that MOST banks will not give you a "Regular" bank account until your credit score improves, or, if you open a cash-card type account with them and keep it in "good standing" for at least a few months.

Any idea which bank is most likely to issue a switch\delta card after say a year of being a good boy ?

also will post in the general section

thanks