Claiming back charges where do i start?!

tyshamitdeb
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5682 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Im new here and would like to start claiming back the charges i have had from lloyds tsb over the past 3 years but where do i start?! do i go to my local branch to get the statements of what ive been charged? thats what i was told when i phoned lloyds

Many thanks

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a good place to start:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Read around this site for several hours, it is not straightforward, but you must get it right or Lloyds will exploit you errors.

To obtain your statements you will need to send this letter and the fee.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

I have not heard of anyone obtaining statements by going into their branch.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

If you dont want to wait the 40 days for your statements through the post, you can go back online with lloyds to july 2002 which should cover the whole time you've been banking with them!

Worth checking this out as this makes the start go a lot quicker!

Thanks very much for your replies i have been to lloyds today and the lady was really nice in there and printed them all off for me! i have just added it all up and since january 2003 i have paid nearly £2000 in charges!!!!!!! what is my next step? have i got to get a letter sent off now with the statements?

Thank you

This is a good place to start:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Read around this site for several hours, it is not straightforward, but you must get it right or Lloyds will exploit you errors.

To obtain your statements you will need to send this letter and the fee.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

I have not heard of anyone obtaining statement by going into their branch.

Have a read through the links that GuidoT has provided you with. The Step by Step Instructions tell you what to do at each stage and the templates library provide you with all of the letter templates you need.

The prelim letter is the next step and you need to include a schedule of charges with this (not the statements) but have a read through and make sure you understand the whole process before you get going. :)

Good luck. Lucid :)

Mindzai & Lucid vs Lloyds TSB

*Won unconditionally with contractual interest (29.85% compounded)

Lucid's Account - £749.62 * Joint Account - £2019.64 * Mindzai's Account - £595.65

*All settled in full - 6/2/07

*Hearings - 7/2/07

*Prelims sent - 9/8/06

_______

GOT A COURT DATE? A guide to the later stages

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi I am also new here and have just posted my data protection letter to get my statment it is 2 weeks now I suppose Lloyds tsb will make me wait 40 days this on my normal account I would like to claim on my credit card with them also can I do this at the same time with the same bank can someone help good luck to you 377414

Yes you can claim against the same bank at the same time.

Lucid :)

Lucid's Account - £749.62 * Joint Account - £2019.64 * Mindzai's Account - £595.65

*Hearings - 7/2/07

*Prelims sent - 9/8/06

_______

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can anyone tell me if im doing this correctly i went to lloyds today and got my charges statements since january 2003 and have added it all up and the total is £1906 now im going to send my first letter off soon do i send the statements with it? shall i send it recorded delivery? does anyone know the address where to send it? anything else i should know at this stage?

Many thanks

go to general section of bank charges and there you will find spreadsheet for entering all your charges. it will also work out your s69 interest. with your first letter, send shedule of charges but do not include the s69 interest, this can only be added once you have filed your claim.

send off to your own branch, make sure it is registered or signed for, they have 14 days once they recieve the first letter.

use the templates here on the site, it is important to keep to the timescale, and proceedure of claiming your bank charges back.

all the templates you need are here on the site, if you cant find, pm a mod.

its worth having a read through the posts which applies to the particuliar bank your are claiming against, it will give you a better understanding of what to expect.

so, follow the guidelines of re-claiming the charges, have a read on site, dont panic, you will get your money back.

good luck

Please Note

Advice & opinions of sharman24 are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts

When i send off my first letter soon im wondering if i dont get a response or a positive response can i send a letter asking for a partial payment as a full and final settelment and if i can is there a template on here i can send im not really looking to claim all of my money i would be happy with at least half of it back can i have some advice on this please thank you

I think you'd make their day by asking for partial payment only. :D I don't think it wil make them return your money any quicker though it that's what you're thinking. If you follow the procedure and claim for the full amount you may find, as it seems to be the case lately, that they offer you part of the amount as a "goodwill gesture" offer. If you really don't want to claim the full amount, and I have to say I can't understand why not as it is your money, :confused: then you can accept this goodwill gesture offer.

I really think you should seriously consider it though. In the long run it is Lloyds who you are going to be doing a favour to - not yourself.

Good luck. Lucid :)

*Hearings - 7/2/07

*Prelims sent - 9/8/06

_______

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks lucid i can see what your saying and i totally agree but i really dont want to go down the leagal route but if push comes to shove i will but at the same time i would be happy with a decent offer of settlement il see what happens and keep you updated

When i send off my first letter soon im wondering if i dont get a response or a positive response can i send a letter asking for a partial payment as a full and final settelment and if i can is there a template on here i can send im not really looking to claim all of my money i would be happy with at least half of it back can i have some advice on this please thank you

I think it would be very unwise, if you state that you would be happy with half they may push you further as the would think you are not up for the fight. I would suggest you ask for all you cash.

I am not a legal expert my advice is given without prejudice and is purely my opinion only. If you are in doubt please seek professional advice.

Thanks livelylad what do you mean though they would push me further?

the reason i asked about sending them a letter for half the money i read on another website that if you dont get a response or a positive reply you can send a letter asking for half the money

As you would expect Livelylad is completely correct, by pushing further, I believe what is meant is that Lloyds will look to offer you less than half or nothing at all.

There is absolutely no point in reducing any of your claim at present, it could be construed as a sign of weakness and in any event why would you want to concede anything at this stage, it is your money that they have taken.

Lloyds have a strategy for claims and so do we, we should stick to ours and they will stick to theirs. Ours involves claiming the full amount plus interest, taking the legal steps per the FAQs etc. (in this site) and Lloyds' strategy involves delaying and denying everything and eventually settling in full prior to the hearing.

However, I firmly believe Lloyds are changing their strategy and settling earlier, as the courts are becoming increasingly impatient with Lloyds' litigation strategy.

• Haha 1

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

if you mean the 8% , then the answer is no, this can not be added until you file a claim. you have 2 stages before that,

1, prelim money asking for money back, template on site,with schedule of charges, send to your branch. they have 14 days to reply once received.

2. letter before action(LBA), this again is a template on site, and again include schedule of charges, and they have 14 days to reply once received.

3. file a claim either at your local court, or as many do with MONEY CLAIM ONLINE (MCOL).

i read with interest that you are only really wanting a decent partial refund,? please don't take this the wrong way but, i really believe that you should think carefully on starting this process, it is not a get rich quick scheme, it is a serious business of the possibility of ending up in court.

if they think or know that you only really want some of your money back then i agree with other posts that they could make it very difficult for you and push you around.

don't take this as negative though, many of us here on the site have at some time experienced some kind of stress and anxiety with responses from the bank,we all try to help each other, it makes us stronger, and better prepared for the next one.

Just remember, that money you claim is yours, not one bank has yet come up IN COURT with any structured system of how they can justify the £20/30 pounds of charge on our accounts.

remember, you are only asking for the bank to justify the cost of failed D/D unpaid D/D etc..

So i would , in my opinion, take some time to decide how you want to continue, if as you say, you really only want some of it back, i think if it was me, i would make an appointment and go see the bank, ask them to explain how each charge has been calculated on your account, you now have some info that it must not be disproportionate, and is unlawful for them to make a profit from a penalty charge.

Please Note

Advice & opinions of sharman24 are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts

Thanks for your replies i have typed up the first letter and my friend is going to print it off for me as i dont have a printer i have calcultaed that it is £1,639 that they owe me thats not including interest i shall send it with the statements and send it recorded delivery and go from there once again thank you

The reason i stated that i would be happy with half of my money back is because i really dont want to go down the leagal route

Thanks for your replies i have typed up the first letter and my friend is going to print it off for me as i dont have a printer i have calcultaed that it is £1,639 that they owe me thats not including interest i shall send it with the statements and send it recorded delivery and go from there once again thank you

The reason i stated that i would be happy with half of my money back is because i really dont want to go down the leagal route

Ok the legal route is quite simple to understand and complete. If you show them that you are unwilling to persue this case through the legal route they will make do their upmost to make it difficult for you. Be firm and strong they will pay you all your cash in the end. If you have any difficulty PM me and I will guide you through the process. Remember its your money.

I am not a legal expert my advice is given without prejudice and is purely my opinion only. If you are in doubt please seek professional advice.

Hi all

Just a quick question im just about to send off my first letter to lloyds and ive typed it up but havent added any interest i know you cant add the 8% untill the court claim but i havent added any of the overdraft interest shall i just still go ahead with sending the letter?

Many thanks

Hi,

If you want to reclaim the portion of overdraft interest that only exists because of your charges then you need to add that to your prelim as well. If you are not wanting to claim it at all then leae it out and send your letter.

*Hearings - 7/2/07

*Prelims sent - 9/8/06

_______

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lucid is correct you can only claim the overdraft interest that is a direct result of a charge, this is quite complicated. If the amount is not great I would leave it and claim your standard 8% at the court stage.

Hi guys i just thought i would give you an update i recently wrote to lloyds asking that they waiver the charges they were due to take out of my account today (1st of feb) of £135 and got a normal standard reply today that they are investigating it etc etc anyway all day ive been checking my account and nothing was taken out so i thought oh good they havent taken them anyway checked this evening and they have the B*****ds!!!! i thought it was too good to be true now im really angry with them because as a result of them taking these out today i am now overdrawn! ive already sent off my prelim letter do i have to do a second claim for the £135?

Many thanks

Also wanted to add ive just wrote a letter asking them to refund the amount of £135 but i doubt they will i suppose this is lloyds were talking about!

Hi,

Don't worry - just add the new charegs onto your LBA and send it with an updated schedule. They won't stop taking charges out - no matter how overdrawn it makes you. If you can then I suggest you get another account opened elsewhere and use that for all of your money. Otherwise if you continue to use Lloyds while they're taking charges then you are probably goign to continue getting charged throughout the whole process.

*Hearings - 7/2/07

*Prelims sent - 9/8/06

_______

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]