MOT Failure to provide breakdown of additional costs

HayleyAdams
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 493 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Huge well known company refused service as I requested written comms instead of phone call due to a disability.

They advised their normal process is to call this went to head office level complaints and they kept calling me long after I asked them to stop.

I've started a claim and going it alone, can anyone help me with some case law a lot of what I'm finding is under employment law rather than a service provider.

I'm not deaf but my disabilities make it hard for me to process verbal information and I made them aware of this in detail but they stuck to their guns that a phone call would be "required" if I wanted them to repair my car.

They communicated via email and text for almost a month insisting that they could only proceed with repairs if I would take a call.

For context the price I was originally quoted tripled and there was a lot of things that didn't seem right to me so I asked for Comms to be in writing as it had escalated beyond the realms of hi your cars ready that'll be X price please so I knew I wouldn't be able to understand, process and retain verbally.

Welcome to the Forum Hayley.

I think you will have to provide a lot more detail exactly what the problem is and why you are suing them.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Sorry I'm trying to give enough detail but also not give too much away as there's an ongoing claim.

In summary I took my car in for MOT they have a quote of £300 but said they needed to checke something else and a few days later and the quote is nearly £1000.

They didn't report any of these "new" problems on the gov.uk website as failures and some things they'd originally not mentioned as even advisories were all of a sudden major defects.

I wrote to head office asking them to explain did they originally miss these major defects or have these defects happened whilst they've had the car e.g have they broken something. 

I also asked if they could tell me why these new things are major defects in need of repair to pass the MOT but they weren't prepared to report these as MOT failures on the Gov.uk site.

I asked for all Comms in writing.

Area manager tries to call me and I explained my disability by text explaining how it makes processing verbal info difficult for me.

He ignored this and asked to arrange a call anyway and said he'd emailed back and fourth with head office about it but he can't email me because their usual process is calling.

The branch kept trying to call me and I made it clear to head office this was unwelcome and making me uncomfortable as I felt like they were trying to catch me off guard and they'd completely disregarded my request for a reasonable adjustment.

Even after I told head office that the calls were unwanted and harassing they kept calling.

Eventually after trying to get it resolved back and fourth by email and text for a month they said if I want them to fix my car a call would be required.

I've raised claims of failure to provide reasonable adjustments and harassment in relation to disability.

This is obviously the shortened version a lot went on here but that's a summary

This wouldn't happen to be Halfords by any chance?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Please consider naming the garage in question.

You have nothing to lose from this but they have everything to lose.

Members of the forum also deserve to know what ****** garages refuse to communicate in writing and call despite you telling them not to. (I am not disabled, and cannot fully appreciate how awful this must be for you but I HATE with a passion any of those companies. Telephone calls are an absolute nuisance, come at the worst of times, ring during work meetings, wake you up in the morning, don't leave a record etc etc.)

The only thing not naming them achieves is to protect them. Do you feel responsible for protecting them? There is ZERO adverse action they can take based on you reporting facts on this forum.

• Like 1

• Andyorch changed the title to MOT Failure to provide breakdown of additional costs

Hi

Well you explained your disability to this company and your reason that you require communication in written format only (I assume email would have been ok).

You made a reasonable request due to your disability and the Area Manager/Company Head Office should have accepted your request.
Irrespective of that Companies Policies it does not negate there responsibilities under the Equality Act 2010

Please Name this Company

• Like 1

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group