TFL SJPN - accidently tried to use wrong pass

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 580 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Facing a similar case of TFL SJPN to @lanaarcher just received the letter.

In my case, I:

- Put both my pass and my grandmother's pass in the same oyster wallet

- Intention was to drop off her pass as she had no way of coming back with my uncle at work

- Did not have my phone as I was mugged in April ( TFL event took place in July), didn't not purchase new phone to avoid search costs during exam season - hence situation was time-sensitive to complete the task 

- Had my wallet at hand just in case the reader went red 

- Exited the compulsory area at peak time 

- Hadn't realised that her pass was logged instead of mine 

- Revenue Inspector noted that I had my oyster card and my wallet and that I made a mistake tapping my grandmother's at the point of exit 

- Facing dyslexia, affecting communication, so to alleviate the situation as calmly and compliantly as possible to avoid misunderstandings 

- My profile - tutor and mentor to students, have a clean enhanced DBS profile, aged 21 at the time of charge, current university student 

- Apprehensive of this hindering my employment prospects 

What mode of communication is best to approach an OOC, would a letter suffice or phone call? (I have trouble communicating verbally at times, can speak tangentially at times) 

Mentioned all the above, apart from DBS, at Stage 1 Enquiry. 

Acknowledged that it was a mistake, will not be done again, and mentioned preventative and remedial measures such as 

I am both willing and able to cover the cost of the fare as I am unable to afford to cost of litigation given my financial situation as a student on full-time study.

I do not intend to cause any more trouble and will take further precaution by, having someone accompanying me on call and seeking alternative modes of transport at less congested times.

I am open to discuss further and come to terms that satisfies a level of confidence to not cause any future offence

Thank you for the help.

J

so they did not reply to your begging letter for OOC?

bit strange as this was obviously a one off mistake.

can we have some dates please..

you can use email the email AD is on the very 1st letter from TfL.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the reply @dx100uk

To clarify, you mean I can email them using the email they gave on the first letter as a appeal requesting OOC.

For dates

08/07/22 - Date of Incidence 

13/07/22 - Stage 1 Enquiry Letter sent to me

14/07/22 - Lettered response sent to TFL enquiry 

20/07/22 - Letter of acknowledgement from TFL noting the seriousness of using non-transferable (concessionary) passes which causes significant financial losses to the transport system. Noted that they be in touch in due course 

10/09/22 - Letter response from TFL, posted on 07/09/22 issuing SJPN, plea deadline is 05/10/22

Contravened Byelaw 17(1) made under para 26 sch 11 of GLAA 1999 and confirmed under s67 of Transport Act 1962

Charge date 30/08/22 

Note this is a single offence. Prior to this, I have no record of such actions  

you should not have left it so long from 14th july to recontact them.

as the thread you mention in post 1 is good 

and 

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you for the swift reply and exemplar post. For imagery, I attach my correspondence. 

I did not realise an OOC was possible until this notice today. 

I thought it only made sense, as order of dialogue, to respond to their reply only when they noted they will be in touch (see pg 5).

I thought only pushing them in such a short space of time will only make things worse. I viewed their non-response as them taking their time to digest and decide on what I had written as they had other things to process.

I did not realise the gravity of the situation until now. 

I really am a person of good character that is academically-inclined at a top university, hoping to apply to legal/compliance/consultancy fields. 

My volunteering in education, policy and religious work is a testament of my gratitude of how others have helped me, to which I can look to paying it forward. 

I hope this could be resolved ASAP, I wish to remedy this before I head back to university in October. 

On next steps, shall I plead guilty, write another letter asking for an OOC and hone in on the implications of a conviction? Shall I call them as well? 

TFL Case Correspondence - Redacted-min (3).pdf

plead guilty

state you want to come to court. (your ultimate aim is to show remorse directly to the judge and of course if OOC has not been reached on the day, try a personal approach to the TfL prosecutions team there and then before the hearing , make sure you have payment methods with you..)

use the box at 4.2 to further plea too, regardless, and how a one off mistake would ruin your future etc etc).

use the threads indicated above and others here (use our enhanced google search box ... grovelling letter or what have you) to construct such a letter (and for want of future readers DONT reply as this OP did!!) GROVEL!!! BEG!! etc etc

pop it up here 1st if you wish as TEXT.

you have till the 5oct though i'd get an email in ASAP. it might take a couple...NO do NOT ring but certainly make yourself a PEST!!

its very rare for a one off mistake to result in a criminal record and not achieve an OOC

and they

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for providing a space to amend my improper behaviour.

I take this notice with the highest regard in sustaining the veracity of our open dialogue and take complete responsibility and ownership of my irreprehensible actions. I deeply apologise for the inconvenience this has caused to all TfL staff in fulfilling their duties.

I recognise that TfL can only operate both effectively and efficiently if everyone abides in a good conduct and pays their fare accordingly. I am embarrassed in shame for breaching this and realise the severity of my actions in violating the rule of law. By no way do I intend to present my self as a threat in breaking public trust.

I fully acknowledge your reproach of my actions and can only blame myself for acting inexcusably on the day. I soon realised the poor judgement of my actions as the Revenue Inspector approached me. The Revenue Inspector acted in the appropriate manner in questioning the validity of travel. I admit my wrongdoing, having tendered a 60+ pass which is clearly not transferrable. I take as much concern in understanding how travel fraud results in significant financial losses to the transport system. Prior to this, I have never been in trouble with the law in the past. Unfortunately, I have been victim to many crimes in my neighbourhood such as bike theft, assault and most recently being mugged off of my phone. A conviction would bring indefinite stress and render me unable to perform my daily activities due to the collateral and cumulative consequences on my liberty and utility.

My parents are reliant on me for application support, interpreting and responding to general household needs. I try to regulate this as much as possible while away at university, coming home during term to check up on my mother’s welfare. My mother’s health deteriorated at the onset of the first lockdown in 2020. This forced me to reprioritise my arrangements and defer entry to university to the following year as I vigilantly catered to her needs, taking care until her health improved. Such an escalation would have serious financial consequences which would only bring further stress to my parents and I, in particular my mother as she recovers from fibroid complications arising from irregular bleeding caused by stress-induced factors. 

As a university student, I value education and appreciate how it is a stepping stone in lifting my family out of difficulty and hardship. Since birth, my father has worked afar in Oxfordshire and can only afford to come home once a week. As my parents themselves have not had any formal education, I have the utmost responsibility in fulfilling all the informal welfare provisions as the eldest son. I am fortunate to be studying at university. Such a privilege has widened my perspective on what it means to work in benefitting the public good. My volunteering in education, policy and religious services is a testament of my gratitude of how others have helped me, to which I can only look to paying it forward as a social obligation. As a tutor and mentor to younger students, my job requires a high level of integrity, honesty and respect. This means that I have to be DBS check-approved. I am obligated to report any prosecutions I face. If this matter were to escalate further into court, it would limit my prospects of securing socioeconomic stability for my family. A conviction would have serious ramifications on my employment prospects, especially in aspirational fields such as legal and consultancy.

I can only describe the limitations I face from time to time as a result of my dyslexia. Such a limitation was exhibited in this instance to which I intend to take mitigating measures to ensure such an action does not occur again. Ever since receiving the first letter, I have remained vigilant of my activities having someone on call to check up on my actions on the off-chance I have forgotten something or have not fully understand the situation at hand. I fear that a conviction will exacerbate my anxiety and disproportionately elicit stress and detrimentally effect the remainder of my studies.

I am conscious of the trouble I have caused. I am sorry for this error and can only blame myself for my actions. I seek to rectify this through alternative means to avoid bringing any further devastation to my family. Again, I apologise to all staff that have continued to handle this matter. I uphold honesty, open, fair and transparency to the highest standards. This misdemeanour signals a lapse in my judgement. Please do not prosecute me as I have never broken the law before and have never posed danger to the public. I fully understand the terms and conditions of using a freedom pass, to which I had no right for use. I vow that I will never engage in another incident with TfL.

I am happy to compensate for your troubles, so as to resolving a dispute outside of court, and pay any unpaid fares, fines and any administration charges to save pocket from court costs.

Thank you for your consideration. I hope some leniency and compassion is tended to this matter.

Yours Sincerely,

That's letter is far far far too long 

One side only.

Short paragraphs only. 90% of that letter is pointless waffle and totally unnecessary. Will end up in the bin.  And stop quoting their rules  and regs, they know them inside out 

Dx

and they

Thanks for the feedback @dx100uk

Here is a revised version 

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for providing a space to amend my improper behaviour.

I take this notice with the highest regard in sustaining the veracity of our open dialogue and take complete responsibility of my irreprehensible actions. I recognise that TfL can only operate both effectively and efficiently if everyone abides in a good conduct and pays their fare accordingly. I am embarrassed in shame for breaching this. By no way do I intend to present my self as a threat in breaking public trust.

I fully acknowledge your reproach of my actions and can only blame myself for acting inexcusably on the day. I soon realised my poor judgement as the Revenue Inspector approached me. I admit my wrongdoing, having tendered a 60+ pass which is clearly not transferrable. I take as much concern in understanding how travel fraud results in significant financial losses to the transport system. Prior to this, I have never been in trouble with the law. A conviction would bring indefinite stress and render me unable to perform my daily activities.

As the eldest son, my parents are reliant on me for application support, interpreting and responding to general household needs. I try to regulate this as much as possible while away at university, coming home during term to check up on my mother’s welfare. My mother’s health deteriorated at the onset of the first lockdown in 2020. This forced me to reprioritise my arrangements and defer entry to university to the following year, taking care until her health improved. An escalation would have serious financial consequences, bringing further stress to my parents and I. 

As a university student, I see education as a means of lifting my family out of difficulty and hardship. As a tutor and mentor to young students, my job requires a high level of integrity, honesty and respect. This means that I have to be DBS check-approved. I am obligated to report any prosecutions I face. If this matter were to escalate further into court, it would limit my prospects of securing socioeconomic stability for my family. A conviction would have serious ramifications on my employment prospects, especially in aspirational fields such as legal and consultancy.

I can only describe the limitations I face as a result of my dyslexia. Such a limitation was exhibited in this instance to which I intend to take mitigating measures to ensure such an action does not occur again. Ever since receiving the first letter, I have remained more vigilant of my activities. I fear that a conviction will exacerbate my anxiety, elicit stress and detrimentally effect the remainder of my studies.

I am sorry and can only blame myself for my actions. I seek to rectify this through alternative means to avoid bringing any further devastation to my family. I deeply apologise for the inconvenience this has caused to all TfL staff in fulfilling their duties. Please do not prosecute me as I have never broken the law before and have never posed danger to the public. I fully understand the terms and conditions of using a freedom pass, to which I had no right for use. I vow that I will never engage in another incident with TfL.

I am happy to compensate for your troubles, so as to resolving a dispute outside of court, and pay any unpaid fares, fines and any administration charges to save pocket from court costs and alleviate the financial stress.

Thank you for your consideration. I hope some leniency and compassion is tended to this matter.

Yours Sincerely,

Edited by justpondering

Thanks for the post @honeybee13

I didn't want to say explain as that would seem like I am trying to justify my behaviour 

Perhaps thank you for allowing me a chance to seek redress for my actions 

I am offering redress for my actions. Thanks @honeybee13

Edited by justpondering
Correction by honeybee13

Still far too long . 

You really only need to say that it was a one off error caused by having multiple passes in the same wallet, something that never would normally ever happen, conjoined with simple forgetfulness. 

Apologise for all the inconvenience caused to tfl staff, offer to pay any unpaid fare and admin fees wishing to seek settlement that out of court.

Also pointout you already have existing card(s) and will continue to ensure the use of the right card going forwards since the day of your fatal mistake .

End again by apologising.

and they

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for allowing me to offer redress for my improper behaviour.

I take this notice with the highest regard in sustaining the veracity of our open dialogue and take complete responsibility of my reprehensible actions. I recognise that TfL can only operate both effectively and efficiently if everyone abides in a good conduct and pays their fare accordingly. I am embarrassed in shame for breaching this. By no way do I intend to present my self as a threat in breaking public trust.

I fully acknowledge your reproach and can only blame myself for acting inexcusably on the day. I realised my poor judgement and admit to my wrongdoing, having tendered a 60+ pass which is clearly not transferrable. I take as much concern in understanding how travel fraud results in significant financial losses to the transport system. I have never been in trouble with the law before. A conviction would bring indefinite stress in carrying out my daily activities and bring further stress to my parents.

As a university student, I see education as a means of lifting my family out of difficulty and hardship. As a tutor and mentor to young students, my job requires a high level of integrity, honesty and respect. This means that I have to be DBS check-approved. I am obligated to report any prosecutions I face. If this matter were to escalate further into court, it would limit my prospects of securing socioeconomic stability for my family. A conviction would have serious ramifications on my employment prospects, especially in aspirational fields such as legal and consultancy.

I can only describe the limitations I face as a result of my dyslexia. This was a one-off mistake caused by my misjudgement and forgetfulness in having multiple passes in the same wallet. Such a limitation was exhibited in this instance to which I have taken mitigating measures to ensure such an action does not occur again. Ever since receiving the first letter, I have remained more vigilant, having separated my existing card(s) and using the right card since my fatal mistake that day.

I am conscious of the trouble I have caused. I seek to rectify this through alternative means to avoid bringing any further devastation to my family. I deeply apologise for the inconvenience this has caused to all TfL staff in fulfilling their duties. Please do not prosecute me as I have never broken the law before and have never posed danger to the public. I fully understand the terms and conditions of using a freedom pass, to which I had no right for use. I vow that I will never engage in another incident with TfL.

I am happy to reach a settlement outside of court and compensate you for your troubles by paying any unpaid fares, fines and any administration charges to save pocket from court costs and alleviate the financial stress.

I am sorry and can only blame myself for my actions and the inconvenience I have caused to all TfL staff involved.

Yours Sincerely,

Edited by justpondering

Sorry but you don't need to include all that twaddle . Your dyslexia is not an excuse and should not be mentioned 

Follow the example ideas I gave above to Inc and like threads.

You are seriously over complicating what should be a simple almost blunt letter.

Dx

and they

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for allowing me to offer redress for my improper behaviour.

I take complete responsibility of my reprehensible actions. I recognise that TfL can only operate both effectively and efficiently if everyone abides in a good conduct and pays their fare accordingly. I am embarrassed in shame for breaching this. By no way do I intend to present my self as a threat in breaking public trust.

I fully acknowledge your reproach and can only blame myself for acting inexcusably on the day. I realised my poor judgement and admit to my wrongdoing, having tendered a 60+ pass which is clearly not transferrable. I understand how travel fraud results in significant financial losses to the transport system. I have never been in trouble with the law before. A conviction would bring difficulty and hardship in carrying out my daily activities.

As a university student, I work as a tutor and mentor to young students, my job requires a high level of integrity, honesty and respect. This means that I have to be DBS check-approved. I am obligated to report any prosecutions I face. If this matter were to escalate further into court, it would limit my prospects of securing socioeconomic stability for my family. A conviction would have serious ramifications on my employment prospects, especially in aspirational fields such as legal and consultancy.

This was a one-off mistake caused by my misjudgement and forgetfulness in having multiple passes in the same wallet. I have taken mitigating measures to prevent this from reoccurring. Ever since receiving the first letter, I have remained more vigilant, having separated my existing card(s) and using the right card since my fatal mistake that day.

I am conscious of the trouble I have caused. I seek to rectify this through alternative means to avoid bringing any further devastation to my family. Please do not prosecute me as I have never broken the law before and have never posed danger to the public. I fully understand the terms and conditions of using a freedom pass, to which I had no right for use. I vow that I will never engage in another incident with TfL.

I am happy to reach a settlement outside of court and compensate you for your troubles by paying any unpaid fares, fines and any administration charges to save time, resources and court costs.

I only blame myself for my actions and deeply apologise the inconvenience I have caused to all TfL staff involved.

Yours Sincerely,

Edited by justpondering

they have not offered nor invited you to offer redress...why do you keep saying that?

needs work and rearranging.

stop being so formal, normal joe blog english.

i write in relation to my 1st letter dated xxxxxx

On the day in question, my actions were a one off error caused by mistakenly having multiple passes in the same wallet, something that would never would normally happen, conjoined with simple forgetfulness. i touched my wallet, it picked up a pass i was merely carry to hand on, and not my own, my actions were not a deliberate attempt to defraud TfL.

something like the above, short to the point and sweet. the MAIN point of your letter is to point out it was a natural HUMAN MISTAKE.

then apologise etc state it cant/wont happen again (use my sentence. from above)

I am happy to reach a settlement outside of court and compensate you for your troubles by paying any unpaid fares, fines and any administration charges to save pocket from court costs and alleviate the financial stress.

please DONT use the above, it's rude...

i wish to request that you consider an out of court settlement in this matter, above all to save court time. i am will to pay any missed fares, administration costs or fines to mutually settle the matter. 

A criminal record would destroy my future employment options and impact the whole family financially...

• Like 1

and they

Dear Sirs,

I wrote in relation to my first letter dated 14 July 2022. 

On the day in question, my actions were a one-off error caused by mistakenly having multiple passes in the same wallet, something that would never would normally happen, conjoined with simple forgetfulness. I instinctively touched my wallet, the machine  picked up the pass I was also carrying to hand on, and not my own one, my actions were not a deliberate attempt to defraud TfL although ofcouse I take complete responsibility for my actions.

I recognise that TfL can only operate both effectively and efficiently if everyone abides in a good conduct and pays their fare accordingly. I am embarrassed in shame for breaching this. By no way do I intend to present myself as a threat in breaking public trust.

I fully acknowledge your reproach and can only blame myself for acting inexcusably on the day. I realised my poor judgement and admit to my wrongdoing, having tendered a 60+ pass which is clearly not transferrable. I understand how travel fraud results in significant financial losses to the transport system. I have never been in trouble with the law before.

I wish to request that you consider an out of court settlement in this matter, above all to save court time but also not to unfairly punish a genuine human mistake. I am willing to pay any missed fares, administration costs or fines to mutually settle the matter. 

A criminal record would destroy my future employment options and bring financial hardship to my family. As a university student, I tutor and mentor to young students. My job requires a high level of integrity, honesty and respect. I have to be DBS check-approved. I have never broken the law before, nor posed any danger to the public. This record would not only destroy my teaching prospects but also limit my aspirations in legal and consultancy.

I fully understand the terms and conditions of using a freedom pass, to which I had no right for use. I vow that I will never engage in another incident with TfL.

I only blame myself for my actions and deeply apologise the inconvenience I have caused to all TfL staff involved.

Yours Sincerely,

Thank you for being stern on this situation, this is very useful feedback 

made a few changes. i'll make some more later

ditch the green!

we need to include a bit about the contents of your 1st letter right at the start as well as its a bit cheeky what you previously insinuated to them (dont teach your grandmother to suck eggs!)

more later busy with sheep!! till dark..

• Like 1

and they