Got caught by using 11-15 Oyster Card, use +1yrs **SETTLED OOC**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 347 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Firstly,

I know that I'm totally wrong here and I really regret of doing it.

I'm currently 20 years old - a third-year uni student and over the year,

I've been using my brother's 11-15 zip oyster card to save up on my travel, because every day I have to go to my uni in London and it costs nearly £20 each day.

As I don't have student maintenance loans and only rely on my part-time job to pay for my everyday expense, I'm trying to save as much here and don't think of how serious wrong it was.

Today I got caught by the TFL inspectors on the train,

when they asked how old am I, I was panic and said I'm 15 and he told me to tell the truth which then I said I am 20. He then took my ID for photos and take away my brother's oyster.

On the note he reported to TFL (as I stand close to him and saw it), he wrote "using invalid 11-15 oyster card, when asked she said she is 15 but she is 20". 

I did have a look on this platform and I think the next step they will require me to write a letter to explain the situation? ( or what could it be if anyone can tell me?).

I really don't want to have any criminal records as my dream is to work in the banking industry and I'm planning to apply British citizenship next year (I'm currently ILR).

I'm really stress out, panic and hate myself right now.

The fact that I've been using this card for over this year, not once or twice, could that be a chance for me to avoid court and criminal records?

I really hope everyone in here and help me and give me advise on this.

Thank you so much in advance and I'm really sorry for what I have done here

Well done on starting your own thread here.

You're right, you have to wait for their letter.

Well done also on reading up on other threads.

The experts will be on soon to help.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• dx100uk changed the title to Got caught by using 11-15 Oster Card, been doing so for more than a year and need to apply for citizenship too.. ..

your only possible glimmer of hope is you are not native to this country? and could plead you did not understand nor investigate our laws?..

how long have you been here please?

the blunt end of this is most probably you will NOT escape getting a criminal record and you will not avoid a very very serious fine.

dx

sorry

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Given the likely outcome if they take you to court is

a) a conviction, this has

b) serious implications for your citizenship application.

The issue for both a) and b) is that you have deliberately defrauded the TOC (Train Operating Company) by using a concessionary pass to which you were not entitled. With multiple uses (which will show on their records), you’ll find it hard to avoid

a) them prosecuting, and

b) them getting a conviction.

if you are a third year student I can’t see you claiming that you didn’t understand it was wrong ……..

Await their letter, when replying to that answer them truthfully (but you don’t have to give more info than that they are asking).

Don’t get caught in a lie to them.

Edited by BazzaS
  • Like 2

I've been in the UK for nearly 7 years now

Thank you for your response.

Based on what I have posted in the post (since this is all the true answer from me) what do you think I should and should not include in my explanation letter?

Also in additional to that, I also have a 18+ Oyster card and have regular top up from my bank since I gave it to my brother to use ( I know this is not relevant as wrong is wrong and I think if I mention that my brother will also get into trouble). But just some more information. 

You need to go read a good few 10's of like threads here on CAG in the very same forum you found and created yours in.

Get up to speed upon how to react to the letter.

why did you think you needed to use this card to 'save money'

are you the sole financial provider to your family, or was this simply a case of i can't afford these fares, so, obviously used the cheapest option to travel?

i don't think after 7yrs of being in the uk, you can use the excuse of 'i did not know it was illegal?

• Like 1

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• dx100uk changed the title to Got caught by using 11-15 Oyster Card, been doing so for more than a year and need to apply for citizenship too.. ..
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I got the letter asking for explain today (the letter is attached below).

I will post the draft of what I'm going to send to them and I hope that everyone can give me the opinion and help me with it. Thank you so much in advance.

Just have a few questions,

I will write my reply on this letter and sign below it right?

Or do I have to answer on the separate paper?

Also,

will they limit how many papers you can send in one as I'm looking to send the proofs of my travel and my weekly season tickets since the day I got caught as I know what I did previously was wrong, I am totally regret about it and I will never ever do this again.

Also just want to make sure, TFL and Govia Thameslink are two different company or they are same?

And I should refer in the letter as TFL or Govia Thameslink?

Thank you

If it is possible,

Can you send me the links to those posts please

As under this topic only able to find a few or maybe I am still not familiar with this platform.

I am really appreciate your help.

Thank you so much in advance.

Rail Letter (3).pdf

Public transport (Trains, tubes and buses) - Consumer Action Group

scroll down read threads that are alike your situation.

reply as others have.

but you are really going to be something special if you escape a criminal record and a very serious fine, if not a more serious conviction of fraud which they indicate in their letter already they are looking at.

sorry.

not a lot we can do to avoid this...

dx

• Like 1

and they

Hi dx,

I have follow your instruction to read some similar case to me.

One have brought to my attention is a case about use Freedom pass for year's and also need to apply British citizen and got OOC result. 

Below her post,

saw you said that do not mention multiple use if the letter only state a specific date which I think my letter only ask me to explain that one journey.

Would you also recommend me to do the same since this is different company and card?

Also I saw in another post you said there are few tricks to get OOC from Govia Thameslink, if it is possible, can you give me some advise about this tricks? Thank you so much

Also yes, I would happy to pay any fines.

I just don't want to result in the court and get criminal record which will end my career that I'm not even start it.

I really wish to settle this out of court.

we are not the gods that know what will/will not happen here.

regardless to what you have (since) realised and discovered...

Got caught by using 11-15 Oyster Card, been doing so for more than a year and need to apply for citizenship too.. ..

they are only interested in:

That you on 19 Dec 2022 upon inspection at Potters Bar (PBR) did receive an unused or
partly used ticket, intending to use it for travelling on the railway.

i would suggest you ONLY reply in a way that addresses what they allege you did.

at this stage i would simply and briefly reply, giving nothing away of what you have since think/done/discovered what they might be going on about as wrong now,... ie..Got caught by using 11-15 Oyster Card, been doing so for more than a year and need to apply for citizenship too.. ..FORGET THAT AT THIS STAGE.

i sincerely regret my action of presenting an unused or partly used ticket and appearing to intend to use it for travelling on the railway, on (date time) 

my actions during that period were somewhat out of character for me and i was going through xxxxx (whatever excuse) . i was short of money? and wrongly believed by presenting such a ticket, i could as it was a free pass (save money i did not have?)  save funds. i hold my hand up i was wrong and got caught by your officers.

i shall never do this again and plead with you to allow me to settle this out of court. i am willing to pay all administration cost and lost revenue for my mistake on that day.

i am a student without state loan funding and on limited part time income. a criminal conviction will destroy my future chosen career as it requires enhanced record checking.

before and since that day i have used (xxx include proof of purchase/use of tickets/card etc) .

once again i apologise and hope my whole future is not ruined by my poor judgement and stupid action.

dx

• Like 1

and they

Thank you so much for your help even being this late at night. I'm sorry if I was worded my words in the wrong way that make you feel uncomfortable, I would not mean that and I would like to apologise of I did make you feel that way.

I will write my draft now and will post it tomorrow. Thank you

So here is my draft for what I'm going to send. 

To whom it may concern,

I firstly want to thank Govia Thameslink Railway for giving me the opportunity to explain my behaviour. I acknowledge the seriousness and stupidity of what I have done on the 19th of December, and I deeply apologise for my actions. 

My actions are inexcusable. I know that Govia Thameslink is only able to operate if everyone pays their fare, and I feel so guilty about attempting to breach the public trust by using the wrong travel card that I had no right to use on the journey I made to my cousin's house.

Until today, I keep reflecting on my action and I haven't been stopped hating on myself and couldn't have enough sleep as a result. As a student with a dream of getting into the Banking industry and in the process of applying for an internship, a criminal conviction will destroy my future chosen career as it requires enhanced record checking. As a child growing up in a strict Asian family, this is a shame to my whole family and I will not know what I can do in life if I get a criminal record. 

Whilst there is no excuse for my behaviour, I'd like to explain that whilst being questioned by the Revenue Protection Officer, my anxiety set in and out of fear that I made a stupid decision to be dishonest with him during our conversation. I would like to sincerely apologise to the specific officer and Govia for that. 

I have never been in trouble with the law in the past and I endure that I won't be in the future. I have already bought day and weekly travelcard (please see document) which I have been using/ will continue to use for all of my travels, and I swear that I will never do this again. 

Additionally, I am currently in the UK under a family visa settlement scheme (please see document) and going to apply for British citizenship this year before the visa expires. A criminal conviction would certainly be noted against me by the Home Office in the "good character" requirement for becoming a British citizen.

I'm still living with my parents and with their financial help, if I couldn't able to stay in the UK, this would separate our family and I don't know where I could go. A criminal conviction would negatively impact every aspect of that and whilst I know that I have no one to blame but myself, I'm hoping you can help me with some leniency in this matter.

I am happy to make immediate payment of all unpaid fares and any incurred costs that my actions have caused, and I wish to settle this Out-Of-Court and avoid criminal conviction at all costs. Whilst I know what I did was wrong and I would really like an opportunity to make amends.

I hope that I've explained myself well and provided enough evidence. If you need anything further from me to help you reach your decision, please let me know. Thank you for taking your precious time to review my case, and sorry for any inconvenience and mistakes I have caused to you, to the company and to the public.

Yours Faithfully,
name

I've had to hide your post above with the "Rail Letter" attachment.

You left the train company reference number showing which can easily identify you.

• Like 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you upload it again, redacted, we'll sort everything out.

55 minutes ago, FTMDave said:

I've had to hide your post above with the "Rail Letter" attachment.

You left the train company reference number showing which can easily identify you.

I ‘reported’  the post to highlight this : Thanks for sorting it!

• Like 1

ive sorted the govia letter.

please  stop hitting quote everytime

just type in the msg box.

your begging letter is far too long and in depth

id keep it short and sweet at this stage with a bit of background/begging only use my example.

i have also removed a complete sentence...dont go there !!

dx

and they

Just want to check that I will need to reply to this paper and sign it right? And do they allow extra papers that are sent together with this lette

Dear dx,

I don't get what you mean with

"I have also removed a complete sentence...dont go there !!"

you reply creating your own letter and posting or emailing it.

go back and read your letter

there is a whole sentence that i have removed from view regarding your health history.

dont go there!!

• Like 1

and they

Thank you dx, I will give a try again

Hi dx, I just quote this easy to refer to.

Since you said keep it short and sweet at this stage, does that mean I will need to write another plea letter explain further again for another stage?

Or just mean that keep it short so don't make the reader be bored from long paragraph?

Also I'm quite struggle to make it short here since I don't know which part to taking out😅.

Would be help if you can tell me which part I should taken off.

Sorry if I was asking too much here and thank you.

13 hours ago, dx100uk said:

i sincerely regret my action of presenting an unused or partly used ticket and appearing to intend to use it for travelling on the railway, on (date time) 

my actions during that period were somewhat out of character for me and i was going through xxxxx (whatever excuse) . i was short of money? and wrongly believed by presenting such a ticket, i could as it was a free pass (save money i did not have?)  save funds. i hold my hand up i was wrong and got caught by your officers.

i shall never do this again and plead with you to allow me to settle this out of court. i am willing to pay all administration cost and lost revenue for my mistake on that day.

i am a student without state loan funding and on limited part time income. a criminal conviction will destroy my future chosen career as it requires enhanced record checking.

before and since that day i have used (xxx include proof of purchase/use of tickets/card etc) .

once again i apologise and hope my whole future is not ruined by my poor judgement and stupid action.

dx

simply fill in the blanks i cant answer.

its a phishing exercise, you dont know if they know or have looked at the pattern of use of the card , so theres no good guessing they have or have not by saying anything further  

the trick in your reply is not to give them any further info they dont already know.

dx

• Thanks 1

and they

Should I mention about I was used my brother oyster card on the way to my cousin's house and I was lied to the inspector about my age and would like to sorry that? Or just simply said like what you said, "my actions was out of my character because of xyz?"

do you really want to even admit to using the card at all at this stage??? think about it

for all they care your budgie could have died. but its a reason for your action on the day. else the default is your did use the card on purpose so thus how many other times....

• Like 1

and they

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just a little update, after I send the letter of explanation, 3 days later I received the letter saying they would like to resolve this out-of-court settlement and only needs to pay a little fine.

I can finally relax now and thank you everyone in this platform for helping me on this matter. I will donate a small amount to here to keep the platform going and can help more people😊.

After this events I will never repeats this behaviour ever again. And again thank you everyone for your help❤

very well done.

dx

• Like 1

and they

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 347 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks