Caught using brothers 11-15 oyster card on Bus - used a few times.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 339 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I’m an 18 years old Sixth form student who did have a 16-18 card however I lost it in December so I put it as inactive and then I found it broken couple of weeks ago.

I started to use my brother's 11-15 card for about couple of days now to go to the library because I really needed to study for my alevel exams. I didn’t see a huge problem with this as they’re both free to use.

PS: I did not use the card from December to now and I did try to order a card couple of days ago but I used the wrong web address and now have reapplied for the Oyster card.

Today I was approached by a TFL officer and she took the oyster and my details and said there will be a letter coming.

I’ve heard that you can get a criminal offense etc and honestly, I’m just looking for any advice regarding this especially since my exam is in 2 days and I don’t want to be worrying about this.

keep reading threads here like you have.

await the letter to come if one does.

if there is no pattern for your 'few days use' and if thats true, then you should be lucky and just get a warning letter or an OOC settlement.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I've read some threads but I may have skimmed read so I must have missed out on details.

In the threads I read people were over 18 and didn't have a 16-18 oyster so I just wanted to know if having a 16-18 oyster could have made a difference or not. 

they are not 'free' , what you possess or not makes no odds. it's no mitigating excuse.

you used a card you were not entitled to use.

await the letter.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

nope.

there are 100's of begging letters here in this very same forum yours is in .

have a look at what others have posted.

dx

and they

Hello, can anyone please give me any feedback to improve this?

I have looked at other posts on a similar matter and this is going to be posted in another forum so I can get a very diverse opinion of this.

I am thinking of attaching the proof that I ordered the card and my exam timetable to show that I wasn't lying and that I am changing. Can anyone tell me if this is a good idea as I have seen others do it.

To whom it may concern,

I firstly would like to apologise for my actions on 17/05/2023 and the time I have wasted of who is reading this. While there is no excuse for my behaviour I would like to thank TFL for allowing me to explain it. 

I was very stressed out that day due to my A-Level exam that will happen on the 19th, I decided to leave the house to go to another place to cool down previously I had a 16-18 oyster however I found it broken a couple of days prior to the offence when I was cleaning up my room.

Without thinking and feeling the pressure of stress I took my brother's oyster under the impression I wasn’t committing such a serious offence since my card was also free however that does not excuse my behaviour and now have learnt to never ever attempt to use another oyster other than myself. The days after my offence I have spent ashamed and very upset since I never have had a conviction nor been in trouble like this ever. 

While this does not rectify my behaviour I applied for an Oyster card straight away after the offence took place and did have to call customer service prior to applying due to an issue with the account.

I know this does not begin to justify my behaviour and there is no excuse I should be punished but please do not give me a criminal conviction as this will affect my future in the pharaceutical/medical field I will pursue this year. I am happy to take a fine regarding my inexcusable behaviour and will make sure to spread my story to others so they do not make the same mistake. 

Please forgive my actions. 

Thank you

Your penultimate paragraph needs some work. TfL can't give you a conviction or a fine, only a court can do that. 

I personally wouldn't say that you're 'happy' to accept a fine as it's not your choice. I think it's better to ask if they will allow you to pay the outstanding fare and their costs.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

oh okay thanks 

I also forgot to mention that I lost the oyster in December and I put it as inactive but then found it afterward.

do you think that is necessary to write because I think it would be in my records for tfl

I put your feedback in:

I know this does not begin to justify my behaviour and there is no excuse I should be punished but please do not give me a criminal conviction as this will affect my future in the pharmaceutical/medical field I will pursue this year. If it is possible to pay the outstanding fare and additional costs, please allow me to do this. As well as I will make sure to spread my story to others so they do not make the same mistake. 

Please forgive me

Thank you

just the bold bit the rest we know

its a std letter.

dx

and they

Ok that letter is in regard to someone other than the named holder whom is under age using the card.

I would tell them to reply that it was known the card had been given to someone else, rather than you getting a possible additional charge of theft..if they move this fwd to court.

Just to confirm..how old are you?

Dx

and they

• dx100uk changed the title to Caught using brothers 11-15 oyster card on Bus - used a few times.

same thing really still TfL.

your parents as the card holders legally responsible person.. should be able to understand what we are after here.

are they aware of this thread and its advice?

it might well be, well almost probable, that following this reply TfL are after, you will get a letter too.

it might also be time to indicate that the (owner) the minor of the card and yourself, were not aware of the serious consequence, but now are fully aware and are very upset etc and have been suitably advised by their parents.

you might get away with just a warning letter if they cant connect the dots on your travel pattern.

dx

and they