Should we trust Sunak or the next PM to fix the Country's problems? (title revised 24/10/22)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 267 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What success stories do the Tories have to help fight the next election ?

Trying to think. Apart from the Tory party having a fully tested process to change their leader. Employment rates are at a good level, but they are at similar levels in other countries, due to increase in part time working and flexible zero hour or agency working. 

Brexit has been a failure so far, with the UK suffering consequences that were labelled as project fear during the referendum campaign.

Economy is in trouble with taxes at record high levels, interest and mortgage rates increasing, cost of living increasing, supply of goods reduced etc etc etc.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

12 minutes ago, honeybee13 said:

I was bound to happen, I suppose. :classic_sad: UK ports could soon be as fed up as hothouse salad growers.

That is where the free ports will prove to be a success. Free of any traffic or trade ?

Some Brexiteers believe the UK can be like Singapore, with high levels of trade through UK free ports that have been set up. Just not sure which markets these UK free ports would have any significant financial advantage over, apart from causing problems within UK's own market. 

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

It will be interesting to see which companies set up business in free port areas and how this increases their competitiveness.

I personally cannot see many companies investing large sums of money in free port businesses, until there is a significant change in the economic conditions. What would they be trading and who would be their potential buyers ? If the costs are still too high in the UK free port areas compared to foreign competitors, then they won't bother.

Yes I did see that UK had free ports for a long time and were scrapped (had licences withdrawn) by Tory led coalition in 2012.

Not convinced Brexit helps them be more competitive. 

I spoke to someone recently and they are involved in project to automate a lot of work done in ports, similar to what they have in other countries. Robotic cranes and vehicles to offload container shipments. Just hope the investment is not wasted, as UK outside of EU market is far less attractive.

This video might explain other reason for free ports.  Interesting!

makes the UKs fenced off wasteland 'lorry parks' as 'preparation' look a bit

... whats the words

poopulist? Brexitish? Inane? Monstrously and stupidly Inadequate? ...

Why trust doctors and science, when you can trust the internets:

blithering idiots, think tank shills, client journalists, disinformation bots and trolls

“The fossil fuel industry is feasting on subsidies and windfall profits

while household budgets shrink and our planet burns"

UN secretary general Antonio Guterres

Breaking News

Rishi Sunacks government awards £150,000,000 contract to alleviate fruit and veg shortage

Its believed that a guvernment ministers local pub landlord was awarded the contract without competition under emergency laws.

The two crates of peppers and two crates of tomatoes is expected to be delivered directly to the parliamentary subsidised canteen immediately the un-named pub landlord returns from his weekend in Calais.

'Absolute bargain for the taxpayer' was reported as the answer to questions asked 'with the additional benefit to UK taxpayers of the costs and administration of processing the funds covered by a Bahamas holding company'

Edited by tobyjugg2

blithering idiots, think tank shills, client journalists, disinformation bots and trolls

The thing with the 'current' version of freeports is the associated changes to the tax laws

I think the whole setup is a crock

Sunack 'advises aka requires palace to do this while trying to brief its a palace decision ..

Of course the new King should host world leaders who visit - but the rhetoric around this is a crock.

Perhaps trying to deflect from the content .. whatever that is

Think the Queen would have declined to be involved.

Charles is likely to be more politically active and now they have given him green light to be more involved.

19 minutes ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

Think the Queen would have declined to be involved.

..  Would have ensured there was very clear daylight between the protocol and the hosting of a world leader

19 minutes ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

Charles is likely to be more politically active and now they have given him green light to be more involved.

Absolutely no doubt whatsoever that the 'windsor' protocol stuff and any implication that Charles is involved in the politics other than as a host is purely from Sunacks team ... and the various political protagonists eg DUP.

Steve Baker is one to watch.

Edited by tobyjugg2

and NOTHING in the 'windsor protocol addresses the real world trade issues with our (ex) largest partner, or that Poland now out from under the UKs shadow in the EU is becoming a real power in teh EU with growth thats trashing the UK

I also find it interesting that a party who are refusing to do their elected job in the NI assembly,

Not only still get pay and expenses, but still get on official voice in westminster

and especially that pretty much everyone is trashing corrupt liar Johnsons NI protocol that the vast majority of them not only voted to force through, but cheered on ..

• I agree 1

There's a lot of irony in the positions that are being taken over the new agreement, I agree.

Commentators on both sides are saying it's better to read the summary by the EU rather than the 'fluff' document from HMG.

As an aside, what's happend to Steve Baker?

ETA: Link to EU summary.

COMMISSION.EUROPA.EU

Protocol on Ireland and Northern Ireland

Illegitimi non carborundum

Changed his hard Brexit tune somewhat? Perhaps?

and regarding the in principle agreement being called the Windsor protocol

theres still

* passing it in the UK parliament (pretty much certain with labours support)

* A bunch of incompetents Implementing the processes

* A bunch of self serving liars Honoring it

https://commission.europa.eu/system/files/2023-02/political declaration.pdf

Edited by tobyjugg2

Sunak earlier, from the Guardian live feed.

'If we get this right, if we get this framework implemented, if we get the executive back up and running here, Northern Ireland is in the unbelievably special position – unique position in the entire world, European continent – in having privileged access, not just to the UK home market, which is enormous, the fifth biggest in the world, but also the European Union single market. Nobody else has that. No one. Only you guys. Only here. And that is the prize.

I can tell you, when I go around the world and talk to businesses, they know. They’re like, ‘That’s interesting, if you guys get this sorted, then we want to invest in Northern Ireland.’

Because nowhere else does that that exist. That’s like the world’s most exciting economic zone.'

If being in the SM is the prize, why does he only want it for NI?

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thing is - its the only place even approaching the cake and eat it claims of Brexit ..

benefits of all the EU trade deals and the EU market

... and the UK ones

Australian/US firm brought the UK battery factory option haven't they - and targetting battery storage rather than electric transport  .. Yaayy gb err AUS/US

Edited by tobyjugg2

Much of that is spin on facts, as expected, but quite mild for Frosty the tosspot

- A smidgen of that mildness will be because its the Times, but seems to me the dogs have been loosed on the Johnsonites and hard line Brexiters

The reality of course is that all this 'new' stuff is just largely what was expected as the result o Brexit at the time, including a NI assembly veto on new EU laws (alongside loosing the access associated with rejecting any) which would always have been one of the EU concessions.

That is wasn't implemented 2 years ago is simply

* It demonstrates all the Brexit lies

* Johnson would have to have implemented some some competently and effectively - a nonsensical requirement.