Oil/Boiler safety certificate

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1589 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

We live in a housing association home, moved in via an exchange in July. When we moved in the oil tank was dry so we had it filled immediately. 

When we did paperwork for the exchange we were given bundles of stuff one of which was a boiler safety certificate. It was missing all figures for emissions tests just said "N/A". I'm assuming given the previous tenant had no oil there was no combustion test done. 

I've asked the HA many times since July Inc in person during a visit here & no one ever gets back to me. I wanted to know is the cert valid without a full boiler test or should it be done again? Realistically we're relying on CO alarms in the house as we have no idea what the boiler is doing? 

I would've thought it needs to be done again, properly but am I right? 

On a separate note the asbestos report was garbage too as we reported a plumbing issue a month after moving in & there's an asbestos water tank in the loft in use, not mentioned on that either which lead to the plumber walking off site (in a huff as it wasn't in the report) & still hasn't been sorted either. 

Anyway thanks for any advice. 

I can't see any reason why you shouldn't go and get it all independently checked over and the validity of the certificates confirmed or disputed – other than it will probably cost you. On the other hand, it might be worth it if there is a danger of monoxide poisoning.

Thank you

Have wanted to do that, unfortunately cost is the issue it's a min of £150 here off contract that I've found, we live hand to mouth plus have to pay off the budgeting loan to cover removal costs at the moment too, otherwise I'd have done so before now but ESA doesn't go far in the first place minus budgeting loan & bedroom tax & well you know how it is. 

I've got a tribunal coming up if that's successful might be able to do something then just feel as the landlord it's their responsibility to do this properly, our old property the cert had all the emissions figures as we had oil. On top of that when we did get oil in it the system was faulty too (not the boiler tho) 

I guess I'll just have to try another recorded delivery letter & try another complaint just wondered if there's a particular law to quote if a boiler must be running to be certified safe

Edited by Rich44

Landlord Installation Check

There is no legal requirement in the United Kingdom or the Republic of Ireland for a landlord to obtain a landlord safety certificate for oil fired equipment installed within a let property. However, BS 5410: Part 1 requires oil fired appliances and equipment to be serviced periodically in accordance with the Manufacturer’s instructions. Oil storage tanks and oil supply pipe work should be checked for general condition and any leaks repaired.

Letting agents and landlords are advised to ensure that an OFTEC Registered Engineer services and inspects oil fired installations at least annually. Additionally, planned maintenance reduces the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. There have been no recorded deaths relating to oil fired appliances and carbon monoxide. However, any fossil fuel burning appliance has the potential to produce carbon monoxide if incorrectly installed or maintained.

http://www.thehealthandsafetyconsultancy.co.uk/guides/oil-firedboilers.asp

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Is that the same for housing associations? As I know some rules are different between private landlords & them. 

They turn up & issue a safety certificate every year after less than 15 minutes of being on site, essentially they run the boiler check the gases & everything else is visual which is why I was querying the fact they didn't even do that last time.

The only maintenance done is to change the little screw in filter in front of the boiler they don't even take the cover off in the last 10 years that's the only maintenance they do each year. 

As for CO poisoning I read the same stats, I know it's a lower risk with oil but equally I know locally of a couple of households who ended up requiring hyperbaric treatments from oil boilers, our old place boiler was outside so risk was even lower but not the case here. 

I'll just write to them again then, if they'd just reply & say yes it's fine or no we need to do it again but they don't ever reply just "we've passed it on to our assets team"

Housing Associations....Landlords ...one and the same.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

There may be no obligation to obtain a safety certificate. However I would say that if one is obtained then it should be correctly issued and fully valid. I'm quite sure that where a certificate has been obtained then there is an obligation to make sure that it is correctly issued.

I don't think it would be a defence for anybody to say that although the safety certificate they obtained was clearly improperly obtained, they had no obligation to obtain one in the first place.

This will be my starting position. I think I would start contacting the council as well.

Hi

I am surprised that when you went through the exchange/swap process you were not aware of the property had Oil.

As has been pointed out their is no legal requirement in the uk when it comes to oil but they must make sure it is safe but as it is a Housing Association they should ensure that equipment right down to the pipework is safe.

As for the safety Certificate I would advise contacting OFTEC and explaining what the Certificate says and whether the company/person that carried it out is OFTEC Register, if they are not then you want that response from them in writing as this way you have evidence to hit the Housing Association with to demand a new check is carried out at their cost.

OFTEC Link: https://www.oftec.org/consumers/find-a-technician

I would also ask them for clarification when the next safety check is to be carried out on the Oil Installation including all pipework and equipment.

As for the Plumber coming out to resolve a pipework issue then walking away as the pipes were covered in Asbestos, I hope that Plumber reported this to the Housing Association. The Plumber was correct not to carry out the repair for health & safety and should report this back to HA.

The Housing Association as a Legal Requirement is required to keep an Asbestos Register where anything they own has Asbestos. (note: this asbestos pipework should have been noted in that register.

As well as reporting these issues to the Housing Association you need to make sure that you don't just report it as a Repair but follow it up as an official Formal Complaint following their Complaint Procedure.

So put it in writing to them and make sure and title the letter 'FORMAL COMPLAINT' in the letter also put the following.

I also require copies of the following:

Customer Care Standards Policy not the leaflet
Complaint Policy not the leaflet
Repair & Maintenance Policy not the Leaflet.
Asbestos Policy not the Leaflet.

Clarification of the Company/Person and their Registration Number that carried out the Oil Safety Check so I can confirm they are OFTEC Registered Engineer.

Clarification as to what action is been taken to complete the repairs to the Pipework reported XX/XX/20XX as the Plumber that came out to resolve the repair issue refused to carry out the work as the Pipework was covered with Asbestos.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group