Potential leak into neighbour's property - Edinburgh

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 300 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, everyone.

It's been some time since I've used this forum and everything has changed about so I apolgise if this isn't the correct place for this post.

A couple of years ago I had a new shower installed and there were a couple of leaks into my below neighbour's property as the shower hadn't been sealed properly.

These leaks happened almost immediately when I was using the shower.

This was all fixed and everything was fine for a about a year and a half, then leaks started again.

The leak into the neighbour's place is coming through their light fixtures, which is the same as the old leaks however, the difference now is that the leaks are sporadic and are happening hours or days after I've used the shower, and I've noticed the past couple of times it leaked was when there was heavy rain, and I think the issue is with the roof, rather than my property.

I asked the letting agent to check the roof, but they are demanding I get a plumber in to check my property, and I'm happy to do this and pay if the issues are with my property however, I asked them for an address to forward the invoice to if my property is shown to not be at fault and they just replied and stated I had a legal obligation to check it wasn't from my property.

I live in an typical Edinburgh tenament and I'm wondering if it's correct that I would need to pay for a plumber to check my property, even if the issue isn't my fault?

Thanks for reading,

ML

It's probably worth expanding the scope of your plumber's investigation to rule out any water source coming from your flat or bathroom, rather than just your shower. Most plumbers I've come across in recent years have had a plumber's version of an endoscope they can use to look under floors, behind units etc without any significant degree of disruption. Personally, I would rather have that peace of mind before I attempted to take a firm position on the matter.

In terms of billing the letting agent; if your plumber agrees that your flat is not responsible for the leak, and assuming you can obtain an address, why not ask the plumber to invoice the letting agent direct? He may not do it, but it might be worth asking.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for the response!

I've paid the plumber and will wait and see what happens.

It's looking like it may well be the roof leaking, however will have to wait on some appreciable rain.

Regards,

ML