Private Landlord Increasing Rent by 35%

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 308 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We have been renting a property of over 10 years from private landlord who has over 40 properties in the local area,  also we have had no issues and never missed any rent payments and looked after the property. In September 2022 the landlord informed us the rent was increasing and giving 4 weeks notice and all was fine. However the landlord again in January 2023 sent letter increasing our rent by 20% as of 1st February 2023 again we had no choice but to pay the increased amount. Yesterday we were told by another Tennent the landlord was making another rent increase and letters will be sent out to tenant's.

Since September 2022 our rent has increased by 35% and at this rate will be unaffordable, my question is can landlord make multiple rent increase, we have been on the local social housing list for 12 years and they have been no help, as we rent we have no housing needs thus our banding is the lowest. 

Just seeing if the landlord is correct and can keep increasing or are there any rules regarding rent increases when renting from private landlord in England. 

Any feedback would be grateful

What type of tenancy agreement, an AST (Assured Shorthold Tenancy)?

Does your tenancy agreement include a rent review clause? If so what does it say?

Wait and see if a further increase actually happens. It's only a rumour from another tenant at the moment.

Hi

Couple of links for you on Rent Increases:

WWW.GOV.UK

Private renting as a tenant - repairs, rent increases and arrears, settling disputes, deposits and your rights and responsibilities.

ENGLAND.SHELTER.ORG.UK

Find out how much your rent can go up by and how often your landlord can increase your rent if you are a private renter with an assured shorthold...

WWW.CITIZENSADVICE.ORG.UK

Find out how to deal with a rent increase, find out how to negotiate to get a lower rent and check how you can challenge your rent increase.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group