Neighbouring property in disrepair - causing water leaks that have rotted my facias and soffits

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 243 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello dear community,

I need some help with course of action.

Neighbouring property, which is side by side with mine is not maintained and previous damage is not being fixed - it is affecting my property with damp and with risk of decreased value.

Of course, owner does not live there... Property is rented out.

I attempted talking with the Renter and advised them that their roof needs fixing, only thing owner did after that was to clean out the guttering, but all other disrepair continues.

I reached out to the freehold management company and nothing as of yet.

I need advice on further steps on how to force the owner to replace their rotten facias, soffits, repair that tiny roof above the door as its literally crumbling away, and such.

How can I enforce these to be fixed ?

• dx100uk changed the title to Neighbouring property in disrepair - causing water leaks that have rotted my facias and soffits

I think that your claim would be against the property owner .

Do you know who they are and their address?

I think you need to get a proper written report identifying all of the problems, any damage which has been caused so far and the cost of repairs .

Do that and then come back here and let us know what the outcome is and we can advise you

Hi

All Private Landlords are required to be registered with the relevant Local Authority/Council so I would contact the Local Councils Private Landlords dept and make a complaint to them of the disrepair to the property which is causing damage to your property and your attempts to get the Landlord to resolve this to no avail.

They may in turn send out officers to inspect the property and if required issue an enforcement notice to the Landlord

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 5 months later...

Hi

Any further update on this?

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

2 hours ago, stu007 said:

Hi

Any further update on this?

Hello dear stu007 ❤️

I tried reaching out to the Local Councils Private Landlord department in Reading, unfortunately, they told me since I am the neighbouring property, I cannot force them to fix anything and that it would have to be the tenant who lives inside there.

Current tenant complained about gutters being over filled and asked the landlord to fix it as things were falling on top of tenants head when he was coming back home - landlord did fix that, only that and nothing else by cleaning the gutters and have increased tenants rent by 50 pounds a month few days later.

Now current tenant is afraid to further ask landlord to fix rotten facias and everything else because he will not afford the place if the rent will increase again.

I have ordered to fix my property, which will cost me £3200 :(

Management agency of the estate is useless, I became a volunteer director and they are just ignoring me not having yearly meetings and are not dealing with that property as well - I asked them for many things and nothing was done since last December.

I feel hopeless as a neighbouring owner! Only hope I have is that my roofer will be great at his work and will ensure that my property will become separate from this properties damage from now onwards :(

If anyone has more ideas, I would welcome them with open arms as even though I will fix my property up, no one likes an eye sore next door that can decrease value of your home just by the sheer look of it being so horrid and not maintained! 😕

Warmest wishes,

Vik

Edited by Haecceity

Hi

Thank for the update appreciated.

As for the next door property causing damage to your property due to the disrepair I feel you are now going to have to get someone in to inspect your property and do a report for you as to what is causing the damage i.e. the disrepair issue with the property next door are causing these.

You are going to need reports clearly pointing out the damage to your property is caused by the disrepair in the next door property before you can take further action against that Landlord of that property.

If you have Insurance for your property and it has Legal Advice also have a chat with them on this matter.

As for the Tenant next door (get them to join CAG and tell us what is happening) as for the Rent increase a couple of days after they asked for repairs I do hope the Landlord carried the rent increase out properly.

Show the Tenant next door or give them the following link:

https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/rent-increases

That Tenant should not be scared to ask for repairs that need done again tell them to join CAG and tell us their story on this and point out to them that our advice is free and they remain anonymous on CAG if worried about that Landlord.