Complicated leases and mortgages

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3216 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You say LPC but are you sure that my English is enough to be a student in a LPC course?

I have never heard your spoken English (and your written English, though stilted, isn't of concern) - but the fact that I have not heard you renders your question pointless. The fact is that getting onto the LPC requires nothing more than money and a qualifying law degree and an IELTS of 7. Nothing spectacular, and mostly not outwith the reach of virtually anyone who manages to get into university in the first instance.

Large numbers who complete the LPC will never be lawyers.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe an admissions team would allow someone to start a course when they knew they wouldn't pass : no institution wants to have a higher fail rate, as it makes it harder to attract students.

They don't care - it's business, not education, per se. The LPC is typically taken at a law school (e.g. BPP, City, Kaplan etc.), not necessarily a university, and all law schools are businesses who want a profit. They take people with poor English and low grades (2:2) because they will pay - and paying means profits - they don't care if they churn out low standard passes as the LPC is worthless unless you have a training contract at the end of it. Only those with good academic grades will ever make the standard required to get a training contract - unless it's a high street ghetto practice, in which case those with lower grades may get in (I have seen some appallingly bad solicitors who barely speak English who are 'qualified').

you say that peole have done reseach in too much depth, well what about your nose poking in to petential landlord's personal relationships that have no bearing on renting a room or flat. You have, as I have said before, a knack of only finding properties that have ownership problems so why dont you look elsehwere.

I suppose you will then have problems with some aspect of you contract as that is always a favourite law degree question.

“But how do the lease issues affect you as a tenant please? Are you just renting a room or is it a flat?”

I am looking to rent a self-contained room which could be a flat and it effects me because if this property was not a single dwelling when these windows were inserted the owner could be forced to remove them and I can end up with a room with windows with obscure glasses or with no windows at all. It is better to look for a room in July than in September so I should be sure that the room I chose will be ok.

As a matter of fact in case of default on payment of the mortgages this property could not be sold as a single dwelling because the mortgage lender of the lower flat will want to be paid its money back from the proceed of the sale of this lower flat and the mortgage lender of the upper flat will want to be paid its money back from the proceed of the sale of this upper flat. So it is possible that this property was not a single dwelling when these windows were inserted so my last question remained unanswered

“But how do the lease issues affect you as a tenant please? Are you just renting a room or is it a flat?”

I am looking to rent a self-contained room which could be a flat and it effects me because if this property was not a single dwelling when these windows were inserted the owner could be forced to remove them and I can end up with a room with windows with obscure glasses or with no windows at all. It is better to look for a room in July than in September so I should be sure that the room I chose will be ok.

As a matter of fact in case of default on payment of the mortgages this property could not be sold as a single dwelling because the mortgage lender of the lower flat will want to be paid its money back from the proceed of the sale of this lower flat and the mortgage lender of the upper flat will want to be paid its money back from the proceed of the sale of this upper flat. So it is possible that this property was not a single dwelling when these windows were inserted so my last question remained unanswered

So, don't rent there.

Why are you even considering properties you have identified concerns with?. Why give yourself that worry?.

If you identify a question that worries you, that is "complex" or "in-depth" (what is the difference, BTW?) , then say "not for me, thanks". Make the question academic.

Find somewhere else (given "it's easier in July than September")

They don't care - it's business, not education, per se. The LPC is typically taken at a law school (e.g. BPP, City, Kaplan etc.), not necessarily a university, and all law schools are businesses who want a profit. They take people with poor English and low grades (2:2) because they will pay - and paying means profits - they don't care if they churn out low standard passes as the LPC is worthless unless you have a training contract at the end of it. Only those with good academic grades will ever make the standard required to get a training contract - unless it's a high street ghetto practice, in which case those with lower grades may get in (I have seen some appallingly bad solicitors who barely speak English who are 'qualified').

I was aware that the supply of pupillages is far exceeded by the demand created by people completing BVTC, but wasn't aware it was an issue (to such a level) with LPC.

Sadly, your post makes good business sense : assuming the provider are using a "business", not "education" model.

If choosing an educational institution : one of the key factors I'd look at would be their pass rate. For a vocational course (which LPC is, from your description) : I'd then look for "gainful employment post course" rate and "success at getting a training contract" rates.

I can see how a candidate (refused / unlikely to be offered a place) by a school with more of an "education" ethos might go for an institution that says "don't worry, we'll take you!"

The institutions with more of a "take their money" ethos would then take more lower ability students, and end up with poorer results, getting a poor reputation, so their candidates struggle to get training contracts : would this not make perpetuating that cycle (poor results, poor reputation, poor employment outcomes, poor candidates, and repeat) more likely?

can i suggest that admin just lock this

its going back and forth repeatedly with no real further purpose

while it might be funny to give some ridiculous reply in the hope that it might teach someone to research there own answers i think it would be unfair to spoil someones hopes (and waste the fees that they paid)

if in the case of it being a real jonah amongst the renting world then the best advice has already been given IF YOU HAVE DOUBTS AVOID

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

I was aware that the supply of pupillages is far exceeded by the demand created by people completing BVTC, but wasn't aware it was an issue (to such a level) with LPC.

It's the BPTC, and standards are higher, so getting pupillage is even more of a gamble. 1800+ students every year, only 400+ pupillages - and year on year, 1400+ students from the previous five years also applying. Odds are hideous. But the LPC, whilst there are 5.5k training contracts for would be solicitors, with approx 6.5k LPC graduates...sounds much better, but year on year you have the same cumulative factors of students applying. Many of those applying have zero chance (for both pupillage and TCs), but even taking those people out of consideration, the odds are still high for successfully gaining a position.

Sadly, your post makes good business sense : assuming the provider are using a "business", not "education" model.

That's business - no one goes into business not to make money.

If choosing an educational institution : one of the key factors I'd look at would be their pass rate. For a vocational course (which LPC is, from your description) : I'd then look for "gainful employment post course" rate and "success at getting a training contract" rates.

It's law - there are no better institutions once you're choosing a law school, all it comes down to is preference. It's your undergraduate university that counts...no one cares where you obtain the BPTC/LPC because they are both vocational, not educational, courses. By the way - all universities tend to use any employment for those statistics you would value...including graduates who are selling mobile phones out of pop up shops. Those statistics mean nothing - nor does quoting how many pupillages/TCs students have...those who get them, will get them wherever they undertake their BPTC/LPC.

I can see how a candidate (refused / unlikely to be offered a place) by a school with more of an "education" ethos might go for an institution that says "don't worry, we'll take you!"

It doesn't work like that - you apply in one go to a set number - they choose who they want. There are bare minimum criteria for all law schools which are standardised across the board (there was only one school offering the BPTC at a 2:1 or above, but they couldn't make that work and closed down their BPTC after only three years - they still offer the LPC): - a 2:2 and money are the criteria...if you have that, you are virtually guaranteed a place at one law school or other. Those with at least a 2:1 will get more than one offer from various schools. Only the really stupid fail to get at least one offer. No school only takes crap students - and no school only takes brilliant students - they all take a mix because it's a numbers game. They don't care if you succeed or not, they want the money.

The institutions with more of a "take their money" ethos would then take more lower ability students, and end up with poorer results, getting a poor reputation, so their candidates struggle to get training contracts : would this not make perpetuating that cycle (poor results, poor reputation, poor employment outcomes, poor candidates, and repeat) more likely?

You're misunderstanding the business model of law schools if you think there are some with a 'take the money' ethos - they are ALL of the 'take the money' ethos.

This thread (and all the other similar ones by the same person), are definitely to do with modules on a course. They are not realistic scenarios that any random person wanting to rent a room would ever concern themselves with - specifically because the information is none of their business. There are lazy students all over trying to con people into helping them understand their coursework, rather than just hitting the books and reading, reading and reading again to get to the point of understanding and knowledge.

And are you sure that the information I am looking for can be found in books. If yes tell me which book and I will rush to read it

I'm not sure that the exact scenario (for all 3+ scenarios you have presented) will be described in any one book.

That is why the books represent "study" and "learning", rather than "answers to specific questions" : you get your answers but by obtaining the understanding you have claimed you desire - the answers follow from that.

Those with the knowledge & understanding (which excludes me, BTW) could "just give you your answers", but

a) then you would know but not necessarily understand, and

b) they'd have to want to give you the answers :Would you not agree that if you look like a law student wanting free coursework answers (regardless of if you are or aren't!) - the more you look like that, the less likely that gets.

You make reference to what I ‘look like’. However in this country we do not judge people on what they look like or on vague suspicions or gossips. We are innocent until proven guilty. Hence if someone has hard evidence that I lied by causing to believe that I am not a law student even if I am one I invite him to put forward his evidence

I think that my question relates more to practical knowledge than academic one. We can find a reply to by Googling but this has already been done or by personal experience and it is why I have posted this thread. I do not think that teachers are going to give questions as coursework that they are not able to reply themselves

I have the following additional questions concerning the same issue

I have found in the following website

LINK REMOVED - SS

“A leasehold house does not contain flats – it is a single dwelling”

This property is a leasehold block of flats and not a leasehold house. However a leasehold house does not contain flats. Hence how this leasehold block of flats could be a house i.e. a single dwelling?

In the case of a leasehold block of flats each flat has its own lease. Hence does the fact that in this property each flat carries on having its own lease mean that it could not a single dwelling?

Does this mean that in order that this property is a single dwelling the two leasehold concerning the two flats should have been merged into one leasehold i.e. a leasehold house?

Edited by SabreSheep
link to commercial site removed

You make reference to what I ‘look like’. However in this country we do not judge people on what they look like or on vague suspicions or gossips. We are innocent until proven guilty. Hence if someone has hard evidence that I lied by causing to believe that I am not a law student even if I am one I invite him to put forward his evidence

I think that my question relates more to practical knowledge than academic one. We can find a reply to by Googling but this has already been done or by personal experience and it is why I have posted this thread. I do not think that teachers are going to give questions as coursework that they are not able to reply themselves

I have the following additional questions concerning the same issue

I have found in the following website

LINK TO COMMERCIAL SITE REMOVED - SS

“A leasehold house does not contain flats – it is a single dwelling”

This property is a leasehold block of flats and not a leasehold house. However a leasehold house does not contain flats. Hence how this leasehold block of flats could be a house i.e. a single dwelling?

In the case of a leasehold block of flats each flat has its own lease. Hence does the fact that in this property each flat carries on having its own lease mean that it could not a single dwelling?

Does this mean that in order that this property is a single dwelling the two leasehold concerning the two flats should have been merged into one leasehold i.e. a leasehold house?

You are indeed "innocent", as no-one will "prove you guilty".

However, if you want people to answer your questions, it is up to them if they want to answer or not.

If you "look guilty" (or even, just overly demanding or suspicious) : it makes it less likely you'll get a reply.

Is this latest set of questions "just for interest" or "yet another property I'm thinking of renting"?

It is about one of the properties that I would like to rent

Yet again : same reply (why do you not like this reply?)

If there are problems anticipated : Don't rent there.

Rent somewhere else where you have no concerns.

Sorted.

It is interesting that you are all convinced that I am a law student because I am not.

Not convinced AT ALL. Just certain the scenarios are LPC ones...it's not LLB coursework - so that leaves LPC or CILEX property modules. No idea why you're doing them - I simply don't care - however I always object when people are clearly posting in order to waste other people's time. It's people like you that make me pick and choose what I will reply to on these boards. The idea is for those with knowledge to assist those who NEED help, not for people to attempt to time-waste on nonsense scenarios that mean nothing in the real world.

I am not a time waster. My thread raises an interested issue the proof is that no one has yet been able to reply my last question

I have this additional question try to reply to it

We can say that this owner did not have any right to claim to have transformed her property into a single dwelling because the mortgage lender of the lower flat has a right that this property remains a block of flats because it needed that it remains a block of flats to sell separately this lower flat in case of default on payment of the mortgage. This owner did not have any rights to claim to have transformed her property into a single dwelling because the mortgage lender of the upper flat has also a right that this property remains a block of flats because it needed that it remains a block of flats to sell separately this upper flat in case of default on payment of the mortgage

I would like to know if I am right or wrong?

And also stop to waste time thinking about whether or not I am a law student because I am not one. I advice you rather to concentrate on my question it could be useful not only to me but also to plenty other people

I am not a time waster. My thread raises an interested issue the proof is that no one has yet been able to reply my last question

I think it is more likely "the experts don't feel like wasting their time", rather than "not able"

I advice you rather to concentrate on my question it could be useful not only to me but also to plenty other people

When they actually need help for a real world problem, they can always post asking for help.

I do not think that teachers are going to give questions as coursework that they are not able to reply themselves

How do you know what the tutors are or aren't able to answer?

Im sorry but this thread is going nowhere

Also your potential clone seems to be doing a course.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?419412-I-have-been-refused-to-resit-an-examination&p=4671942#post4671942

CAG is for genuine users with genuine problems.

Please take your studies elsewhere so users time can be used to sort genuine problems.

Thread closed

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3216 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks