Moved abroad: when and how should I inform the HMRC?

gioppino
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3817 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, first post here.

I am a EU citizen and I lived in the UK for a few years. I have just relocated back to the continent (the Netherlands, not my country of origin).

I spent about 10 days in the country (in hotels) before finding accommodation and I have just moved in last Friday, however according to the local laws I am technically not resident yet, because my accommodation has to be approved by the local council, which will probably happen in 2-3 weeks.

When in the UK, I was working full time and receiving Working Tax Credits. I informed the Tax Credits helpline that I had finished my job and was going to move abroad, they told me I had to inform them of my new address when I would have one.

So far so good. Now I start thinking that I should have informed the HMRC as soon as I was in the country.

My questions are:

1) Have I done anything wrong in not contacting the HMRC before I had a permanent address?

2) Can I wait until I have confirmation of my registration or is it better to call as soon as possible?

3) Which date should I give for me leaving the country, the day that I have left or the day that I have moved in the new accommodation?

4) Is it advisable to write a letter to the Tax Credits on top of calling them by telephone?

Thanks

Hello and welcome to CAG.

According to your other thread here, you have a care of address in order to receive a cheque from HMRC.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?412975-Can-somebody-else-deposit-a-cheque-payable-to-me-into-my-account&p=4424270#post4424270

Would you be able to use the same one to notify them of where you are now, possibly?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello and welcome to CAG.

According to your other thread here [link removed], you have a care of address in order to receive a cheque from HMRC.

Would you be able to use the same one to notify them of where you are now, possibly?

My best, HB

Thanks HB. I have used the "care of" only for the PAYE section of the HMRC. Apparently the Tax Credit department has a mind of its own and don't accept the care of address. If I had given my friend's address, to the purpose of WTC I would have lived with him, or so I was told by the person at the helpline.

Hi

Have a look at this HMRC link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/tax-leave-uk.htm

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I try to answer my own question, in case anybody is my same situation.

On the WTC award letter it says: "You must tell us about the following changes within a month".

On their website (cannot post link but google 'tax credits changes')

there's no mention of a time limit but

You can't report most changes until they actually happen

and:

Address changes

Tell the Tax Credit Office as quickly as possible after you change your address or phone number.

You must wait until you actually move - you can't report your new address before you move.

So I think I should be ok.

I am sorry, maybe I should have done a bit of homework.