Replacing a lead common supply pipe with neighbour

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3977 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We are currently looking at replacing our lead supply pipe since all of our floors are up at the moment anyway. From what we can tell, we share a lead supply pipe with 3 other properties (terraced) something like this:

x----1-----2-----3----4

Where x is the stopcock and we are property number 3.

Neighbor number 4's supply pipe splits off from our property under our living room floor; we think a similar thing happens for properties 1&2 as our supply pipe seems to head off outside as apposed to neighbor number 2's house.

Neighbor number four also wishes to replace her lead supply pipe. Ideally we both wish to have our own supply pipe as water pressure is naff, especially when everybody is fighting for water in the mornings!

Does anybody have any experience with Yorkshire Water in terms of getting off lead piping and getting a separate supply at the same time? I know they have a scheme where they will replace the lead upto the property boundary if you replace the stuff on your property boundary (that's fine, we're both prepared to dig a trench and lay 25mm MDPE etc). With this being that case, are Yorkshire Water likely to impose additional fees to give us both a separate supply?

Suggest you contact Yorkshire water and see what they say, as I expect each case is looked at on its merits. Also separate water supplies would allow meters to be installed at the same time.

Hi there, I replaced to a lead water supply pipe about a year ago. I contacted Yorkshire water who sent out a form to complete. We then dug up a trench ourselves and placed the pipe, rep from Yorkshire water came to inspect that the trench was deep enough, they checked a few other things but can't really recall, don't really understand their terminology.

Our supply pipe is for our property only and not shared with the neighbours. Yorkshire water were very good in explaining the procedure. They then give you a date and connect the pipe to the supply pass the boundary and then do the same inside the house. This was free for me except the cost for the new pipe which was not much and bit of digging.

One thing I would advise is that if you live on a main road, like I do, Yorkshire water have to give the local council notice that they are to do the works and as in my case need to put up temporary traffic lights to help flow of traffic. This is the only thing that delayed my matter other than that everything is straight forward.

As for your own supplies, I can't really say but don't be scared to ask Yorkshire water as in my experience their customer service has been excellent.

Thanks Mmjan, that provides a bit more insight to the process! Hopefully it won't be too much different (or expensive!) when it comes to my particular situation.

I've been in touch with Yorkshire Water, just waiting to hear back from the department I need to speak to. Did you have to pay a £117 fee for them to come out and inspect the area before commencing?

Hi there, Yorkshire water did not charge me. However I am assuming that they might charge you if you have asked for your own supply as they might want to come and investigate where the pipes will be laid once they are split from your neighbour.

I have read somewhere on Yorkshire waters website that you usually get 1or 2 free repairs call out at their discretion. I have used them in the past for a burst supply pipe and investigate a blocked stack. They did not charge me on both occasions.

If you have not used them previously for such things or say never called them out for anything. It may be worth while pointing out that you have been a customer for so long (got no other choice of supplier really) always paid bills on time, not had to use them before etc and etc. ask to speak to a manager.

Explain that it would be in their and your best interests to have your own supply as the pressure is not good. Put your haggling skills to the test. It's worked for me on several occasions.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

law has changed on ownership of water and sewage pipes, the bit you own is the part that is exclusively yours so only from th junction, the common parts are now the water co's. This should make it easier and cheaper to get agreement for replacement with water co and your neighbours.

Still waiting to hear back from YW regarding overall cost.

It's annoying though, basically they are saying yes you can get the lead replaced for free if all four of your neighbors do their bit (they won't, only us two at the end are prepared to) but you will still be on a shared supply.

But YW won't contribute a single penny if two properties wish to come off the shared lead supply altogether. The best they will do is charge one set of highway excavation costs (pavement and a big chunk of grass - no road) if we both lay our new pipes in a single trench to the property boundary. Hope it's not too expensive...

Edited by Eversir