British Gas just send bill for underpayment of 4yrs - does the Back-Billing rule apply here?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 302 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

About 4 years ago I upgraded both my Gas and Electric pre-pay meter’s to smart meters

Shortly after the instillation of these smart meters I was having an issue with the Gas meter. An engineer attended the property to find the Newly installed gas meter was faulty and it required him to install another “smart” gas meter.

I continued to top-up both my meters weekly via my online account

Over this period, I noticed a steady increase in the amount of money I was paying on the electric smart meter due to cost of living price increases.

But the amount I was paying on the gas pre-pay meter stayed the same £5 per week.

Due to the fact I only use gas supply for 6 months of the year (gas heating) I assumed as I was paying £5 every week of the year (52 weeks) I was over paying to cover winter usage.

About 12 months ago I contacted British Gas, I was told that the new Gas meter was installed and set-up as a standard credit meter (Not pre-pay) I was told that they could change it back to pre-pay remotely to which I agreed.

Another 6 months went by and I was still only topping up £5 per week, I went to check the meter but couldn’t find any info on the display regarding top up payments.

I contacted British Gas again, only to be told the Gas meter was still showing as a credit meter, the person on the phone was not much help other than stating that it could be reset remotely.

So, I continued to top up £5 per week as I have been doing for the past 4 years.

About month ago, I received an email from British Gas regarding the July 2023 price cap.  It stated that my Gas bill will be reduced by £241.42 from   £1136.78 to £859.36.

I have two questions,

1.     If British Gas send a bill for underpayment of the last 4 years does the Back-Billing rule apply here?

2.     If they don’t send any bill and I keep paying £5 per week via my online account, will Back billing apply,

cant bill you outside of 12mts.

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• dx100uk changed the title to British Gas just send bill for underpayment of 4yrs - does the Back-Billing rule apply here?