PC only works in safe mode

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4045 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

my pc HAS decided it now wants to run in safe mode and will not do a system restore, any help welcome, I have not done anything to it.I came to put it on today and it is running in safe mode so it is making it very hard to do anything.I have shut it down and restarted it but still doing same, was fine last night, I am using Windows Vista home premium. Comp is about 3 years old, have tried system restore but when it has finished it I get a message saying unknown error prevented it doing it.I found what I thought were the back up discs I got with it, tried them but it is still same, IT will not let me do a restore and I have not installed anything new.

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

firstly try, restart pressing f8 when booting, should get a menu up. select 'start win normally', see what happens.

ps, if it loads up normally, do a full anti virus scan, and check in 'event viewer' in admin tools what has recently happened.

Edited by Ford

IMO

:-):rant:

Easy fix. Grab win 7 disc and install ;):p

Seriously though, Ford is on the right track here. But as soon as you are able to, get rid of vista. Even MS pretty much disowned it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

thank you, the pc already had vista on it when purchased, it was bough new. I tried the F8 but nothing happened, pc works, in safe mode with networking , I have unplugged it, turned it off and on, now just uisng it in safe mode, it just will not come on in normal mode

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

Nothing happened when you pressed F8? SPam the hell out of that key after the initial boot screen so it can "catch" the menu screen.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

surprising that f8 doesn't come up. press f8 repeatedly right from the off, sometimes it doesn't kick in in time.

failing that, when in safe mode go to 'event viewer' in admin tools in control panel, see what errors have recently happened. post back.

or, maybe a virus. try and get/download a boot antiv and run that.

Edited by Ford

IMO

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-security/vista-only-works-in-safe-mode-and-cannot-do-a/5bbe950f-66f0-4a6b-ac24-27e631006385

ALso, when in safemode, perform a clean boot through msconfig. This will allow you to see if its a program that is causing the problem.

also, when in safe mode, go to control panel, system, advanced system settings, advanced, start up and recovery, where there is 'time to list recovery options' tick, also untick auto restart on errors. then restart with f8. or menu may then come up auto.

Edited by Ford

IMO

it says in the event viewer this

Applications and service N/A 14.04.2013 15.29

Application 20.00 MB/.... 14/4/2013 15.25 Enabled Overwrite events as ness

under admin events are errors going back to 2010!

not sure if this is what you mean, I am not able to open my disc draw it seems stuck, if I bang it then it will open

just a quick one

go to start -> run -> type msconfig and hit enter

click the tab that says boot

and make sure safeboot ISNT ticked as this will mean it starts in safe mode as well

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

did that labrat but it gave me system restore!

I have had similar, but not with Vista. Using system restore creates more problems.

If you hold the power button for more than 8 seconds it will force system shutdown and then you have various options for restarting. I think I ran my anti-virus software in safe mode and it found a few viruses, which once they were got rid of, enabled the system to be restarted in normal mode.

I am trying to think of anything else I did to solve the problem and will post back if I remember. But it does sound the same. Sudden safe mode only and trouble getting back to normal mode.

Another thing. Have you installed any new software recently or any major updates ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

no Uncle not a thing and have tried that power button thing but I only get 3 options now and not 4, the fourth is normally the one asking if you want your pc repaired

Have searched online and there are many reports of this with Vista. Some are saying that if your system was slow, before this recent problem, it is probably a malware problem.

Another suggestion is this.

"I've seen this problem before and it is not easy to fix because there is no one fix that works in all cases (and Microsoft has put out no articles to address the issue). Try to boot into safe mode (repeatedly click the F8 key while booting and go to safe mode with networking – or do so from the command prompt on the disk). Then let's check some of your system files:

Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / Command prompt and right click on command prompt and click run as Administrator (you can skip this step if using the disk).

Type sfc /scannow and enter and let it run. It will scan and try to fix some of your system files. Hopefully it will complete with no corruption it could not repair (if there is such corruption post back here or try to analyze it to find the problem file(s) using http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228. Try to post any corrupted files here so we can see if they can be repaired with good copies from the installation disk (unless there are too many).

While in Command Prompt, type chkdsk /f /r and enter and let it run. It will scan and try to fix any corruption or bad sectors on your hard drive and mostly remove that as a potential cause.

If that doesn't work, then please post any repeating error messages from the Event Viewer concerning startup (Start / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Event Viewer – or typing eventvwr from the command prompt). Here's how to use Event Viewer: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html. Post those messages here so we can review them. "

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Another suggestion.

Type "msconfig" into the command box in safe mode. Your "System Configuration Utility" program should open on your screen. Click on the "General" tab on the utility program. Select the "Normal Startup" option. Click "Apply" and "Ok" to confirm the change back to normal mode.

Follow the on-screen prompts to restart the computer. Your computer should reboot normally.

Run the configuration utility again if the computer restarts in safe mode.

Click on the "Boot" tab and ensure the "Safe boot" option is unchecked. Repeat your steps for the "General" tab described earlier and reboot.

I think this is what is detailed in this link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Edited by unclebulgaria67

my pc HAS decided it now wants to run in safe mode and will not do a system restore, any help welcome, I have not done anything to it.I came to put it on today and it is running in safe mode so it is making it very hard to do anything.I have shut it down and restarted it but still doing same, was fine last night, I am using Windows Vista home premium. Comp is about 3 years old, have tried system restore but when it has finished it I get a message saying unknown error prevented it doing it.I found what I thought were the back up discs I got with it, tried them but it is still same, IT will not let me do a restore and I have not installed anything new.

First things first.... what are the machine specifications. Although, for some systems, the F8 suggestion would work, some manufacturers use a different Function Key.

it is an ACER Desktop

well typed in msconfig, screen appeared did the normal start up, still started back up in safe mode

You need to go to msconfig, go to the startup tab and disable everything.

You can also go to services, check the hide microsoft services box, and disable everything thats left. Although that step is more advanced, it can flag up a few issues.