PC only works in safe mode

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4048 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

ok renegade, done all that and the microsoft services bit all got unticked except AVG and rapport which it says are running and can not untick them

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AVG has to be uninstalled or ended through task manager. Like macaffee or norton, its a bugger to disable.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Untick AVG and Rapport as that might be the problem... then restart the system as previously advised, sometimes running two anativirus programs on start up confuses the system.

Once you get back into normal mode you can then uninstall AVG and reinstall it from a new download.

Try Fords advice. If it doesnt bring up that boot option or give you up to 30 secs to select an option, then theres something wrong with the OS.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

do not have avast SG, only got AVG and Microsoft essentials, which are not showing up on the bottom of my comp like they normally do

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

Try fords advice RE: enabling the default menu. It should list a fair number of options which you can try.

Also, and this might be a long shot, uninstall the GPu drivers that are on the machine and let the OS install the default ones. Vista was known for refusing access to the OS with 3rd party drivers. In safemode, it uses the OS version only. No harm in trying.

thanks guys will give it a go

re checking for viruses, you need to download a boot antivirus, burn to cd/dvd and run from boot (f12), or copy to a usb drive and run from there via boot.

googly eg's

http://www.avg.com/gb-en/avg-rescue-cd

http://free.pctools.com/free-software/bootable-antivirus/

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/52053.aspx

http://www.avira.com/en/download/product/avira-antivir-rescue-system

etc

Edited by Ford

IMO

:-):rant:

ok tried all suggested but still no joy, not able to burn a cd Ford

Google systemrescuecd. It's a Linux distribution that boots from either cdrom or usb and can do a complete system rescue of any operating system. It's a true swiss army knife. Read the documentation.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

do not have avast SG, only got AVG and Microsoft essentials, which are not showing up on the bottom of my comp like they normally do

they wouldn't do as in safe mode.

also, for future reference, no point running 2 antiv's at the same time. recipe for conflicts. MSE is also known to cause trouble re its oobe file

IMO

can not even use a usb as no cable! lol not my day, might have one somewhere but not sure, any idea what one it is?. Think tower wants looking at as like I say not able to open the disc draw

Disc draw is easy. Open case, take cd rom out and plug it in without attaching it to the tower. Just connect to the power supply. See if it opens and shuts. If not, push a pin in the tiny hole to force it open, then give it a good clean.

another poss option after, when in safe mode go to control panel, programs and uninstall any third party antivirus and firewall just in case they are causing any conflicts. restart. if doesn't start normally, restart again press f8 repeatedly as soon as pc starts to reboot. don't forget to run an antivirus from boot.

Edited by Ford

IMO

thanks guys will give it a go

May I suggest that your turn off your PC and try again tomorrow. Sometimes, if you keep on trying and trying different things, it gets frustrating, often getting into a worse position. Then the next day, you try again and it then works.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

unlikely, if it doesn't work one day but then the next then something is inherently wrong, and is likely to happen again. but you never know! it might just be having a day off :)

not many different things have been suggested; f8, try and get the options menu, boot antivirus, events history, thats about it! all normal, can't get any worse from doing that. no alteration of actual o/s files.

Edited by Ford

IMO

come on guys focus.

MS has just uploaded some updates

if the updte fails due to disc errors

vista home OS will fail to safe mode as the system files are suspect

reboot the PC

hit the F8 key till you get the safe mode options

choose safemode with cmd prompt only

at the flashing cursor type

chkdsk c:*/v*/f*/r [enter]

where * = a space.

it should then be ok

when it reboots [eventually]

make sure it has a WIRED Ethernet connection

then goto start

programs

windows update

and install everything it lists

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

hi dx, thanks, I tried that, pressed the f8 and got the screen for prompts, clicked the one you said, screen went black then a lots writing came up, screen went black then pc just rebooted into safe mode again, did not get a flashing cursor for me to type anything. the computer is an ACER DESKTOP, No bluetooth or wireless on it as far as I know, I run it through an ethernet cable, B/B provider at mo is Talktalk.I have done scans, run my spybot etc but it all comes back clear.I have not installed anything new at all, the restore came back last time saying unable to continue as it thinks I have installed something by looks of it. This all started yesterday when I went to read an email as when I went to open it my pc sort of froze and said not responding, then I got safe mode and have done ever since.I think the email may have had a zip document attached, I am not able to open these with this comp, so whether that has caused this I am not sure. I will keep you informed if I have any luck with anything

have you considered some boot drivers may be corrupted

have you tried loading in the windows disk and just do a basic install

it over writes the operating system without any changes to documents etc as its not a format

just a sugestion and i am crap with computers

I have not got a disc as am sure it did not come with one due to it being installed already, got the comp from PC world about 3 years ago, new

you can schedule chkdsk

click on [my] computer to see the drives

then right click on C:

properties

tools

disc check

tick the boxes

then reboot

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I have not got a disc as am sure it did not come with one due to it being installed already, got the comp from PC world about 3 years ago, new

Yes these seem to do this these days.

If opening an email with a zip file attatched started the problem, I think there was a nasty virus included. I had a trojan virus which caused similar problems. The only way I resolved it was to run some new anti virus software in safe mode.

There are plenty of free malware removal tools you can download.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread