car purchased with logbook loan finance outstanding

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4763 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Friend of mine has bought a car and for one reason or another didn't hpi it till after he bought it. He has found out since it has outstanding finance with logbook loans, which is nearly 1k more than what it's worth. Until today he wasn't overly worried, but today noticed a large shifty looking character having a nose round his property then getting into a car with a another chap and driving off, he's got a feeling this might be them coming for the car.

has he any rights? what can he do to prevent it being taken. it's locked up in a garage at the end of a private gated driveway?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Friend of mine has bought a car and for one reason or another didn't hpi it till after he bought it. He has found out since it has outstanding finance with logbook loans, which is nearly 1k more than what it's worth. Until today he wasn't overly worried, but today noticed a large shifty looking character having a nose round his property then getting into a car with a another chap and driving off, he's got a feeling this might be them coming for the car.

has he any rights? what can he do to prevent it being taken. it's locked up in a garage at the end of a private gated driveway?

first of all he needs to lock the car up. and if it is in a garage take the battery off it and two wheels. if they have been there today they will be back early morning soon.

they need a court order to take the car but this is lbl.

make a complaint to your police to let them know you had guys looking at your house and get an incident number.

the next step is to get a copy of the bill of sale from lbl. (with hold your phone number 141 first)

dont bother with trading standards they will just say give the car back (they need training on how lbl work)

how old is the car ???

first of all he needs to lock the car up. and if it is in a garage take the battery off it and two wheels. if they have been there today they will be back early morning soon.

they need a court order to take the car but this is lbl.

make a complaint to your police to let them know you had guys looking at your house and get an incident number.

the next step is to get a copy of the bill of sale from lbl. (with hold your phone number 141 first)

dont bother with trading standards they will just say give the car back (they need training on how lbl work)

how old is the car ???

not sure think it's late 90's

is your friend not on the phone ??? they is no point fighting lbl when they have taken the car. the last thing your friend does not need is the repo guys.

it's in a locked garage and he has 2 other vehicles in front of the door on the drive. i've told him to get in touch and ask for the bill of sale tomorrow

it's in a locked garage and he has 2 other vehicles in front of the door on the drive. i've told him to get in touch and ask for the bill of sale tomorrow

Hi just so points first we need to know how old the car is. and it does not matter if the garage is locked or how many cars are infront. the police for some stupid reason help the guys from lbl. (read some posts on here.) so if you remove two wheels and stop it from running it will be safe as the repo guys dont carry spare wheels

Hi just so points first we need to know how old the car is. and it does not matter if the garage is locked or how many cars are infront. the police for some stupid reason help the guys from lbl. (read some posts on here.) so if you remove two wheels and stop it from running it will be safe as the repo guys dont carry spare wheels

it's a 1996

this car is too old to have a bill of sale. so you need to find if lbl has a bill of sale for the car. if they say yes. tell them to take you to court . you will win.

can you go into a bit more info please mate.

can you go into a bit more info please mate.

if this car has a logbook loan on it, it is by the form of a bill of sale. and also cca.

a bill of sale can not be attached to anything over 8 years old. lbl will alter bos to make them look good. or they take the chance on not registering it with the supreme court if the loan was small.

but a bad bill of sale makes any claim by lbl void. but they will keep trying to repo the car. you need to see a solicitor to ask lbl to leave the car alone

if this car has a logbook loan on it, it is by the form of a bill of sale. and also cca.

a bill of sale can not be attached to anything over 8 years old. lbl will alter bos to make them look good. or they take the chance on not registering it with the supreme court if the loan was small.

but a bad bill of sale makes any claim by lbl void. but they will keep trying to repo the car. you need to see a solicitor to ask lbl to leave the car alone

ok thanks that's very interesting,

is there any online info regarding the 8 year old thing?

• 2 weeks later...

HELP! I have just had a visit from two people from hammonds uk, who came to collect my car. Thankfully i was not at home at the time but, they left a letter with my dad.

I bought this car 18 months ago and did not do an hpi as i had never heard of it! but i did one today and it seems that log book loans recorded outstanding finance on it last december, but i bought it a year before that?

It was a private sale and i have no proof apart from a witness. i can paste the hpi up here if it helps as there are private plates involved and everything. I live in scotland.

Please help!

Edited by hoff135

HELP! I have just had a visit from two people from hammonds uk, who came to collect my car. Thankfully i was not at home at the time but, they left a letter with my dad.

I bought this car 18 months ago and did not do an hpi as i had never heard of it! but i did one today and it seems that log book loans recorded outstanding finance on it last december, but i bought it a year before that?

It was a private sale and i have no proof apart from a witness. i can paste the hpi up here if it helps as there are private plates involved and everything. I live in scotland.

Please help!

john

Hoff, keep the car hidden, go speak to a Sol, get him to send a letter to LBL, They cannot hold you accountable for the Loan, they are claiming an intrest, you are within your rights to tell hammond to FO as the car is yours. Go to the Police and report it, (you are after the incedent number)

Explain to them that you may be a victim of deception...

Furnish LBL with the crime/incedent number-tell them to call off the dogs, tell them that they have been a victim and that you are an innocent victim..

Don't use the phone, do every thing by letter, keep the envolopes for the date stamp.

Now, BoS are not valid in scotland-its English Law...LBL need a court order to take it.

Go see a Sol

trooper68

Trooper68:)

Thankyou trooper, I will paste the hpi in here if i can, you will see that the finance was recorded against my car on 22 december 09, i bought the car in dec08. maybe this is a mistake. My car is the astra with plate *******

Edited by hoff135

HI Hoff. there is no point looking at the hp or cca. as this has nothing to do with you looking at the HPI it is for a bill of sale. so you need to get a copy from logbook loans. now a bill of sale does stand if it was done in england so your car is not safe so hide it. but to fight lbl is not expensive but is the car worth it. a catD does not have a good sell on value (astra 04 catD £460)

now you need to get a copy of the bill of sale. have a solicitor do this for you as they can also tell lbl that you need time to check the claim. they is a cost for this from a solicitor (£25-£30) we need to see if lbl loged the car on the bos as a catD if not you have won.

Hello cctv engineer, I bought the car in scotland, from someone living in scotland, i dont know when where the loan was done. The car is worth about £4500, its a astra gsi turbo. I have a solicitor on the job, but she is not home untill next week. I have hidden the car.

so does the date that the car was recorded as having outstanding finance not worth anything?

Because it looks to m if i had hpi'd it it would have been clean at the time of purchase?

Also i have put about £2000 worth of upgrades on the car, they surely belong to me?

HI Hoff

First off remove (edit) the personal details and take down off the reg in the post you did.

Do live in scotland?

As CCTV has stated in his post, you need to get the BoS (they could tell you to sling your hook-cos of the Data Protection Act-the data is not yours)

HPI checks really mean nothing-they are self regulating and any company can show an intrest marker, LBL are known not to mark the car until they go hunting for it. So in your case mean nothing.

I see from the check it was a cat 4, did you do the work? paind for it..

Work+Upgrades=unjust enrichment for LBL.

Don't worry about the "bailifs" they are not, they are AGENTS and have no rights at all, ask them to leave, they have to, the paperwork, is nothing, ask to see it (if they have it) and keep it...they cannot do a thing.

KEEP the car hidden for now..

trooper68

this is the car that has finance on it.

Registration:R13HYAManufacturer:FORDModel:FIESTA DIESEL HATCHBACK 1.6 TDCi Zetec S 3drModel Year:(2005 - 2008 Model)Colour:BLACKTransmission:ManualEngine Size:1560ccFirst Registered:30/12/2005

your car has had this plate on it at some point.

Registration:Manufacturer:VAUXHALLModel:ASTRA HATCHBACK 2.0i 16V GSi Turbo 3drModel Year:(2002 - 2004 Model)Colour:SILVERTransmission:ManualEngine Size:1998ccFirst Registered:01/03/2004

Yes my car had on it before the guy i bought it off. It had ***** on it when i bought it. I phoned logbook loans today pretending to be someone who was looking to buy the car, they said that ***** has outstanding finance, they would not tell me any more. I'm not going to phone them as myself untill i speak to my solicitor properly.

This was 18 months ago that i bought this car! It was written off back in 2006 for flood damage i did not repair the damage. I have put a new turbo charger on it- £1300, plus just put new uprated brakes, £350, plus a few other mod's.

Could there be a mix up between my car and the ford fiesta? Or has someone taken a loan out against my car after the car was mine? Because it appears to me that if i had hpi'd it when i bought it, it would have been clean?

My solicitor, said today that my bank account could be frozen! This is turning into a nightmare!

I thankyou for your comments guys...

Edited by hoff135

if your solicitor says your bank account can be frozen. THEN GET A NEW solicitor. your problem is over a bill of sale. you need to go and see a solicitor. go and get a solicitor to get all info from lbl and pay the £35 or ever much it costs. with the bill of sale you will also get a photo of the car with its owner. but you need the bill of sale as quick as you can. and not when your solicitor gets back.

Ok, thanks. she is home tomorow, she is a personal friend, but she has not seen the details, we have only spoken on the phone breifly. Her husband is in the police, C.I.D., he's says that this whole thing stinks also.

I have hidden the car and they cannot find it. Hammonds UK have been informed that they are not to speak to me directly anymore. This is a criminal offence to do so. I have taken enough of your time and i appreciate the help.

But one more thing if you could-

If the finance agreement was drawn up in england i am screwed, right? If it was setup for someone in scotland im fine?

thankyou again, i will keep you posted with what happens!

hoff

as an final note, i would rather burn the car and go to jail than have this sh$%& get their hands on it!

even if it was drawn up in england you will be ok. you are in the same problem i was and i won. i already can see a way out. but i would need to see the bill of sale. what you need to do now (tomorrow) is call logbook (hold your number 411) and tell them to take you to court. this will start things moving. otherwise it will last over 7 months. its better to start the fight now. i have just sent you a pm.

So the loan was taken out on my car in april 07 in england, What rights i still have in scotland is unclear. I am being sent the bos.

Its funny that the day that the gov announced that they were going to ban lbl is the same day that an alert was put on my car on the hpi.

If the **** frm lbl turn up to take my car they are going to have one hell of a job finding it! Its somewhere in the highlands of scotland!

And if i am forced to give it back by the courts they may find it full to the neck of dead sheep!

But do these idiots have the spare key for my car? As i only have 1 and i read that they take the key when the loan is taken out?

So the loan was taken out on my car in april 07 in england, What rights i still have in scotland is unclear. I am being sent the bos.

Its funny that the day that the gov announced that they were going to ban lbl is the same day that an alert was put on my car on the hpi.

If the **** frm lbl turn up to take my car they are going to have one hell of a job finding it! Its somewhere in the highlands of scotland!

And if i am forced to give it back by the courts they may find it full to the neck of dead sheep!

But do these idiots have the spare key for my car? As i only have 1 and i read that they take the key when the loan is taken out?

Hi Hoff

Do you reside in Scotland? If you do it cannot be Valid. Its English Law only, besides that cannot take it you hidden it. Don't panic on the car, you now need to get the dogs barking, have you spoken to the Sol?

Draw up a letter to LBL (don't ring them) make sure its reg-Advise them that they are incorrect and inform them that you purchased the car in good faith and they have now show an intrest-Advise them that the BoS is invalid as it cannot be enforced in Scotland. See whats happens...:-)

It bet they start playing ball. Do not give them a penny..

Now the shoe is on the other foot-you will have control, don't let them get you down.

trooper68

Yes i do live in scotland, and i bought it in scotland. It was a cash deal but i have a witness to the deal. But the finance was drawn up in england. They are sending me the bill of sale. If I dont get it by mid week I will write and refute their claims and ask that they prove it. I have never even heard of an hpi untill last week.

Im reading conflicting info about bos, you are saying that its void in scotland, but some are saying its not, as it was drawn up in england. Just wish it was clear cut. I hope you are correct!

hoff