Anyone else think this is disgusting?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5698 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have found this out today and to be brutally honest I am still fuming!

Im just trying to gain as much support as I can for this because although it doesnt affect me directly, it really affects a member of my family and we are all fuming about it.

The Tyne and Wear Metro system has now decided anyone who uses a mobility scooter must be accompanied or they will not be allowed to travel. This is because they claim all mobility scooters (even the very lightweight ones) have the power to be able to smash through a set of heavy metal doors and land on the track. They have however said electric wheelchairs, no matter how powerful, will have no restriction. I personally know people with electric wheelchairs that are very heavy and rather powerful, a lot more powerful than all but the most top of the range mobility scooters, and are capable of doing a heck of a lot more damage.

My mum has very limited mobility due to a spinal problem for which she has had 2 major operations, and can only walk a few steps. She finds it almost impossible to use a wheelchair due to severe arthritis, so her mobility scooter is her lifeline. She is very independent, and goes out a lot on her own, mainly due to the fact my dad is also very severely disabled due to emphysema, and although he is mobile he often finds it difficult to be out a long time. She is not allowed to board a bus on her scooter, and a taxi round trip would cost somewhere in the region of 20 pounds.

This aside, this is essentially barring all those who perhaps live alone and have no family nearby to help or those whose partners perhaps are too ill to come with them, in some cases cutting them off completely from shops, banks, etc. Nexus wouldnt dream of banning electric wheelchairs, as surely there would be an outcry. What they dont seem to realise is that they are still treating disabled people less favourably by saying to them 'we dont trust you to travel alone as you obviously cant control your scooter.' would they say that to say, an epileptic, or a diabetic like myself? - 'we cant trust you to travel alone in case something happens.' Would they say that to someone in a wheelchair???? It seems they think that the people who use these scooters arent using them because they need them for a vaild reason... whats the difference between using a scooter and an electric wheelchair>??? most of the time they are used for the same reason.

What is also really galling is that Nexus charge the elderly and disabled 13 pounds per year to travel on the Metro! (and this change has come not long after the yearly renewal of the cards - strange that isnt it??? a coincidence??? hmmm!)

What does everyone think of this? Do you think this is discrimination? Would be interested to know. Have already written a very narky letter to the director general of Nexus...would just be interested to know what everyone else thinks.

Mrs R xx

THE PRETENDER AGENDA - August 30,2008 - 2ND ROW!!! WOO-HOO!! :-)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR A FAB NITE LEE! xx

Sunderland 011008 - THE BEST BIRTHDAY PRESSIE EVER! 'Aww, it's your birthday! Happy birthday darlin!'

02 Apr 2008, 23:55

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

i like that!! its simple and good and gets the fans involved aswell x x x

MY SUCCESSES -

1st Credit (Lloyds TSB) admitted no CCA, reply from OFT 130608, reply from FOS 040608, adjudication stage rejected but still no contact....

My mate (Littlewoods/Moorcroft)

300608 -Long running battle,threatening court, CCA letter NO 2 and harrassment letter sent - passed back to Littlewoods early July.

070808 - Passed to Debt Managers, Acct in dispute/BOG OFF letter sent 080808...

140808 - Letter from Debt Managers passing debt back to Littlewoods - RESULT! :D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chezsu

My dear friend, these people are pure ****.

They are the same type of people that would tell a distraught teenage girl who has lost her purse that she cannot travel on the last train home.

You need to think of [edited] until they retract this disgusting rule. You can start by checking this post of mine:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/public-transport-trains-tubes/141065-arrogant-rude-petty-ticket.html#post1495092

Thanks

A new God has appeared in Great Britain in the last decade or so that demands worship and blind adherence.

This new God is Health and Safety.

Countless times a day you will now find written and verbal notices, advice and restrictions that start along the the lines of "For health and safety reasons ...."

Seldom will there be any reference of where this has originated, nor who caused this new rule/restriction to be implemented. Yet whoever has introduced this expects adherence without query - and becomes quite agitated if anyone has the temerity to query this.

We, the general public, need to be more like the French. Trouble is, every time we take action against injustice the government brings in rules to prevent us doing the same in future. As evidence, I give two examples:

1. Motorists barricaded oil depots some few years ago, and the government had to back down and stop the proposed increase in fuel duty. Governments don't like to be made to back down, so once things settled down they brought in new rules - anyone who barricades a depot in future will be arrested and hauled off.
  2. Until recent years is was a right of every subject to make peaceful protest outside the Mother of Parliaments. It is now forbidden to protest anywhere within 0.5km (I think) of the houses of parliament unless you have prior permission. Even in places like Cuba, the common people are not prevented in law from protesting like we are.

==============

So, to answer your post, you need to protest by firstly getting the company to state under what statute this rule has been introduced. Their reply to this will determine your next move.

On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Read anything I write with the above in mind.

thanks everyone.

I have today drafted a letter saying exactly that Esio Trot.

Lets wait and see what rubbish they reply with....

Sunderland 011008 - THE BEST BIRTHDAY PRESSIE EVER! 'Aww, it's your birthday! Happy birthday darlin!'

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

MY SUCCESSES -

1st Credit (Lloyds TSB) admitted no CCA, reply from OFT 130608, reply from FOS 040608, adjudication stage rejected but still no contact....

300608 -Long running battle,threatening court, CCA letter NO 2 and harrassment letter sent - passed back to Littlewoods early July.

140808 - Letter from Debt Managers passing debt back to Littlewoods - RESULT! :D

I'm truly sorry to hear of this outrageous measure on the Newcastle metro.

Hopefully public condemnation will force it to stop this disgraceful prejudice soon.

I believe any company (be it train, taxi, airline or anything else) that charges a penny more to someone as a punishment for being disabled is pure **** and needs some thorough moral grounding. They should try being partially paralysed or immobile and then see if they still think this rule is fair.

I hope your mother can still be as independent as possible in the face of this truly shocking news. Best wishes.

Contact these people

About us

I think the metro are on very very dodgy ground here particularly as they are one of the principal forms of transport in Tyneside....Also they know full well that very few disabled people use electric wheelchairs to travel......Those that do tend to be totally immobile in body........The majority use the type of scooter your mother does & to ban their use is disgraceful as it will cause, throughout the region, many hundreds if not thousands a considerable loss of amenity.

How on earth do the people who make these unthinking decisions sleep at night

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

My mum has been in touch with the local paper today and it seems the whole of tyneside is up in arms about it.... she had to struggle onto a bus on her crutches to visit her bank yesterday and she is in a lot of pain today. Her and my dad have gone to Scotland on very disabled-friendly holiday, so at least she gets a break.

JonCris, you are so right. im just wondering if they are trying to get all elderly and disabled people off Metro as they get no revenue from them!!! I wrote a concise, but angry, letter stating straight facts and several sections of the DDA... and there are several disabled groups very annoyed about this. I am just simply hoping they see sense and realise what they have done and let common sense prevail, for the sake of my mum and hundreds of other disabled people who use a scooter to get about and rely on the Metro to get them to the shops, banks or even medical appointments.

My mum is fairly lucky in the sense her doctors is nearby and there are several supermarkets (a small Co-Op, a large Asda and a small Sainsbury's) within travelling distance on her scooter, but the only way she can get to her bank (there is only one branch in the area in the city centre) is via Metro, and the metro covers some very rural areas such as Callerton where there is nothing for miles - what about the poor people stuck in areas like that????

Part of me is so glad I dont live there anymore.... Im just waiting to see what Nexus' next crazy plan is!!!

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

MY SUCCESSES -

I was a guard on the railway for 27 years.

I have worked every type of train apart from the Royal Train, until last year.

I started off on DMU's made in 1950's

Recently we used to work charter trains consisting of upto 12 coaches, with steam engines and old deisel locos.

The guard where provided is in charge of the train, I am totally responsible for what happens on that train. The driver is i/c the engine, and works to the instructions of the guard.

Wheel chairs, scooters and other conveyances were loaded onto the train with a ramp and made secure either in the brake van, or in a place set aside within the train for mail bags/parcels/ owt else that was bulky.

With the HST's there is provision for wheel chairs within the coach, as they take seats out to make room for these items.

On todays railway, it all down to money and some operators are good others are just rat bags.

I would help anyone onto a train, and make the comfortable, but its all about fining you and making money.

Id never thought of that JonCris.

Of course that will be the case.

Most of the people who use electric scooters are safe drivers who can handle their scooters perfectly well alone. As you say, the majority of people who use them perhaps are not so good on their legs but have good control of their scooters.

Its just because of one or two people who obviously havent been shown the correct way to use their scooters that are causing problems for everyone else. its been pointed out as well that what difference is having smeone with them going to make when the majority of people can do it quite well on their own!

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

MY SUCCESSES -

It seems that my mum isnt the only one whose annoyed.. found in the newcastle evening chronicle...

But my mum also has to get a word in bless her :D have changed the names slightly to protect personal details...

A DISABLED Metro user has vowed to fight to save her independence.

Mrs C, 72, is afraid she will soon be stripped of her freedom after Metro bosses brought in new rules about the use of mobility scooters.

Metro operator Nexus announced last week that it would be banning passengers from taking mobility scooters on to its trains unless they are accompanied by a companion.

But Mrs C, who relies on the Metro to get about, says this move will rob her of her independence.

And the pensioner, who suffered a crippling spinal injury when she fell down the stairs in her home during a thunderstorm 18 years ago, has now threatened to blockade the carriages in a bid to persuade Nexus to re-think the plans.

She said: “If I have to, I’ll get as many scooters as possible down there in the morning as people are going to work,” said the spirited pensioner.

“I’m quite willing to be arrested and forcibly removed in order to protest, I feel so strongly about it.”

And Mrs C is calling on all disabled Metro users to join her in her fight. Nexus announced its new rules after a pensioner ended up on the tracks when he lost control of his scooter. He was boarding a train at Howdon, Wallsend, and his scooter smashed through the doors on the other side.

It is the second time a passenger has been injured in this way. But Mrs C, of Newcastle, insists scooters are safe and is prepared to take a test to prove it. “I get everywhere on my scooter and I can get on and off the Metro quite capably,” she said.

“Why weren’t the doors made to stop this kind of accident happening and how long has the person who had the accident been driving?

“I’d like to know if management has taken this decision after the complaints of drivers who don’t give scooter drivers or mothers with children time to get on or off the Metro.”

Since being left a scooter by a friend who died, Mrs C has enjoyed a new lease of life.

Another Metro user, *Mrs_Ryan's mum* 58, of Newcastle, is also furious with Nexus’ decision.

She said: “All we want Nexus to do is to treat us fairly. If two people had road crashes, they wouldn’t take cars off people. I use the Metro to go shopping and meet up with friends. But I also use it to attend my hospital appointments, which means I’m not using an ambulance.”

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

MY SUCCESSES -

If their argument is to be followed then because occasionally, about twice a year, someone falls onto the track then the trams shouldn't run at all

Of course there are going to be accidents that's in the nature of daily life.........There's a risk to all who leave their home........ Are they going to stop the blind using the system..........Are they going to stop children..........No there is probably a great deal of truth in thinking this is based on economic grounds........Most such users are elderly so travel free............they may delay the trams slightly when boarding.........& with their scooter they take up more room than an able bodied passenger

These cretins who thought this up would probably like to ban mothers with pushchairs if they thought they could get away with it but if they tried then their true motives really would be exposed

ah no, i dont think they would ban mums with pushchairs... they have to buy tickets so therefore.... revenue!!!

The elderly and disabled pay 13 pounds a year for their passes, far less than the 3pounds plus that they charge for a ticket.

They do take up more room,granted, but so do pushchairs, wheelchairs and even luggage - one of the main routes is Newcastle Airport-Newcastle City Centre so obviously there is often people with a lot of luggage going to/from the airport, plus people coming from the enormous Tesco Extra on that route who may have a lot of shopping. Will they ban them as well????

Bureaucracy gone mad!!! :mad:

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

MY SUCCESSES -

A small victory... from BBC Tyne website.

The operator of the Tyne and Wear Metro is reviewing its ban on mobility scooter users travelling on the system without a helper.

The ban was imposed after two accidents in which scooter owners crashed through train doors and onto tracks.

Operator Nexus has now promised to review the rule following protests from disabled passengers.

But it has said the ban will remain in place until a consultation process has been completed.

Protestor Susan Calvert said the restriction, which was imposed last week after the latest accident, had robbed her of her independence.

o.gifstart_quote_rb.gif There is a problem with mobility scooters and we must operate a safe railway end_quote_rb.gif

Nexus director general Bernard Garner

She said: "My husband and most of my friends are at work during the day, so I'm upset at being told that I can't go on the Metro alone."

Nexus director general Bernard Garner said the firm would be speaking to disability groups to establish how mobility scooter users could travel on the Metro safely.

He said: "There is a problem at the moment with mobility scooters using the metro and until we can establish a safe way in which they can use the system the ban must remain in place.

"We must operate a safe railway."

A man was rescued by emergency services after plunging onto stretch of track at Howden station, in North Tyneside on April 24.

Last year, an elderly woman on a mobility scooter crashed through train doors and onto the Metro track after boarding a train at Brockley Whins station, South Tyneside.

The woman suffered bruising but was not seriously hurt. The restriction applies to powered mobility scooters but not to electric wheelchairs.

Mr Garner clearly sounds QUITE cheesed off :D

It sounds like there has been serious amounts of complaints... i for one am going to keep the pressure on and it sounds like the others affected will too...

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

MY SUCCESSES -

Mr Garner could ensure there was a member of staff available at each station to assist scooter users.....problem solved........"we'll be consulting with disability groups"..........Should have done that before virtually imprisoning disabled people in their homes......Mr Garner.....another unthinking.......uncaring bloody bureaucrat

Wonder how long the 'consultation' will take....just long enough to cause many disabled great trouble no doubt....& anyway what's to consult...........no matter how you try Mr. Garner you can't discriminate against the disabled...........it's unlawful you Cretin

another update JonCris...

on the Nexus website this morning Ive found this....

Nexus and access body 'Transport For All' are working together to explore the future of mobility scooter access to the Tyne and Wear Metro.

The two organisations are to explore ways mobility scooters can be used on the network while ensuring the safety of all passengers.

Work has started after Nexus introduced a new rule requiring scooter users to travel with a companion on foot when using Metro.

The change in rules follows two recent incidents in which mobility scooters have struck the opposite doors after boarding Metro trains, with the users falling through onto the track and needing hospital treatment as a result.

Nexus has also confirmed that companions can travel free with mobility scooter users who have a Gold Card. (oh thats really big of you!!!)

As well as Transport For All an advisory umbrella body representing a range of access and disability groups in Tyne and Wear Nexus is meeting other relevant organisations and scooter suppliers to discuss the sale and use of the vehicles. (what the hell has the sale of them got to do with Nexus???)

Bernard Garner, Director General of Nexus, said: “We had no choice but to change the rule on mobility scooters immediately following two serious incidents.”

“We knew, unfortunately, that this would have an impact on scooter users and we are determined to explore all possibilities (whilst imprisoning people in their homes) but crucially any future arrangement must first meet the high safety standards Metro operates within.”

“We are meeting with access groups and listening to the views of scooter users themselves. The change in rules is not permanent but it will stay in place until a safe alternative can be found.” (probably never)

Ian McKee, chair of Transport For All, said: “We recognise the need for Nexus to act in the interests of passenger safety and I welcome its commitment to working with access groups.” (what a load of rubbish. do something and stop dilly-dallying about it!!!)

“There has been a huge growth in the number of people owning and using mobility scooters and Nexus is just one organisation that needs to respond to the issues involved.”

A Public Transport Accessibility Event organised by Nexus at St James Metro today, Wednesday 30 April, allowed disabled passengers to explore the full range of services they can access in Tyne and Wear. (none probably.. since scooters arent allowed on buses!!!)

The event, organised long before the change in rules on Metro, featured accessible buses operated by Stagecoach, Go North East and Arriva, accessible taxis and mentoring and training schemes.

Nexus was probably bleat it 'wasnt viable' to have a member of staff at all stations as there are a lot of very small unstaffed stations on the network but even at the major stations in Newcastle City Centre, Gateshead central and Sunderland the staff cant be bothered to help a lot of the time.. they just stand round yakking to each other even when someone clearly needs assistance.

God knows how long this so-called consultation will take.... Im hoping there some sort of protest rally... now that WOULD be interesting :)

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

MY SUCCESSES -

How many years has the Metro been running? & they exclude one group after just 2 accidents in how many years

No but they could have one person on each train who's duty would be to help

Forget the consultation it's no doubt a sham

The best thing you can do is for a large group of scooter users to converge en mass on a particular station & board one of the trams........lets see them trying to forcibly eject a load of disabled....& don't forget to invite all of the media

At the very least you might bring the whole system to a crashing halt if they refuse to move the tram after your boarding

I remember my mum saying she took me on one of the very first Metro journeys in my pram when I was a baby, back in 1980, so its been running now about 28 years.... but they could argue the scooter problem has arisen recently. YOur quite right JC, they have passenger support officers etc, but they just sit and yak to each other as well, they are paying them to do that there would be no difference in asking them to stand by the doors and keep an eye out for scooter users - if they needed help they could assist but if not, fine.

Thats what the lady in the Evening Chronicle said, she was quite happy to create a blockade and I think they should!

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

MY SUCCESSES -

Throughout West/South Yorkshire on the trains they carry proper ramps for wheel chairs.

The guards will help those users on and off the trains as part of thier on train duties. When you arrvie at main line stations eg York/Leeds/wakefield/ Newcastle you can be met by station staff to help you on and off the train.

At York thre are ramps on all platforms for this use.

Stations have to be adapted by law or disabled passengers.

When i was on duty it was a pleasure to help these citizens on and off the trains.

As usual we get rail operators who own bus companies and have no idea about running trains the motivating factor is profit, and disabled people do not fit into this buisness plan.

If people were falling onto the track, then a risk assessment should be done to stop this happening.

But wheelchairs/scooters take up valuable seating spaces, so that is why some cowboy rail companies do not like the above modes of conveyance.

• Haha 1

Thats interesting... because my mum has also been told by a narky train conductor on a Northern Rail service to the MetroCentre shes not allowed on!!!

About the only place on Metro to park a scooter is as you get on, where there could be no seats.

Its totally Nexus' fault.. they havent got a clue.

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

MY SUCCESSES -

Once on a Green Express Charter starting at Leeds, with pick ups at Normington. The train was 12 coaches long, which is 720 feet.

At Normington, passengers have to cross the main line to acces the platform, and the platform could not accomodate this length of train.

Me and my driver got on the train at Leeds.

THe brake van where we loaded wheel chair passengers was next to the engine.

I arranged with the driver to stop short of the crossing, and we brought the disabled passengers in front of the train onto the platform.

We then brought the train on to the platform loaded, these wheelchairs through the double doors of the brake van, and completed the loading. After this was done we moved the whole train over the passenger crossing so we could load the rest of the passengers.

AS a result there were about 7 coach lengths of the train hung over the Wakefield end of the platform, with the rear coach just clear of the foot crossing at the Leeds end.

All these movements were done in complete safety by myself and the driver with the use of radios, and each of us knowing what we were going to do.

My driver and I had did this because this could have been my grandma, uncle, brother , mother or son, and that is what right people do. It perhaps delayed the train, but I was the guard, I was in charge and thats what we did.

When the train came back at night this would happen in reverse.

That is what you call customer care.

I think the train went down south somewhere and we bailed out at Doncaster.

Another good days work.

The brakevan on this train had a ramp as part of the equipment required the Railway Rule Book.

The loco was a Class 47 with ETH.

I havent got a clue about trains!!

But I wish there were more like you!

My mum got a letter back from Nexus after my sis-in-law sent them an email, and they were quite narky with her, saying it 'wasnt discrimination, it was health and safety.' Time for Round 2 methinks :D

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

MY SUCCESSES -

Ask these monkeys if they have done a risk assessment for wheel chairs et al.

If so request a copy.

All the stations, public building and other facilities must be made user friendly for disabled passengers.

Go to local paper/tv/thier managing director and really wind it into them with your compaint.

If you just sit back and accept what they do, we would still be paying bank charges.

Be like one Ceaser Milans dogs, as me old dad wouk say

" Shak em to bits. "

Big moto here, " THe pen is mighier than the sword . "

To quote Jonesy from Dads Army

" They dont like it up em......."

Take the dog of the leash and set it on em.