Freedom pass misuse

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 294 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, 

I am desperate for some advise please. 

I was caught using my mums freedom pass a few months ago.  I initially showed my bank card when 1st stopped but then showed the freedom pass after being caught. This is proving to be the aggravating factor. I was in shock and I panicked after being yelled at by the TfL officer. 

I have expressed great remorse at the scene and to TFL but I have now received a SJPN. I have plead guilty and asked to go to court to give one last shot at avoiding a criminal conviction. Getting a conviction could affect my license to practice as I'm part of a registration body as a conviction would show on my enhanced DBS check and this would need to be declared to the body.

The card was not heavily used. I admitted to using the card on 3 separate occasions.

I sought advice from a solicitor which got me nowhere hence i have received a SJPN despite writing a letter of apology, obtaining character references and doctors letters and assessments.

I would desperately appreciate any advise or support on how to settle OOC if it is still possible. I am worried about losing my job and this has drastically affected my mental health. I have written to TFL twice now but they are refusing to settle OOC.

Thank you in advance

there is sadly nothing more you can do.

but as you've found out, paying a solicitor to help is always a very big waste of money in these cases.

sometimes more than any eventual fine.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you for your response 

unfortunately I had not come across your website before 

When reading previous posts I have seen advice to keep emailing TFL until the court date. 

Can this still not be done? 

have a look at other threads in this same forum

there are many many begging letters examples to mix and match and learn from.

when is the SJP court date, and when did you send off your form stating your wish to appear in person to show the judge genuine remorse personally?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hello, 

i responded on the 21st June and still waiting to hear a court date. 

Please find my draft letter here :

I am writing again to express my deepest apologies for my actions when I evaded the TfL fare with my mother’s freedom pass. I have plead guilty to the charges brought against me and I am waiting to hear back for a court date.

This conviction is going to assassinate my career and in turn will have dire consequences on my health and my future. I cannot afford to be out of work as I need to support my household during the cost-of-living crisis we are in. Working in a healthcare setting, I would have to let my employers know of a conviction. 

I have never been in trouble with any law enforcement in the past and in a state of panic, my fight or flight response was to present my bank card. I have been suffering with a mental health condition. I’d like to explain that while I was being questioned by the TfL officer, in a moment of panic and stupidity I was dishonest with him during our conversation. I’d like to sincerely apologise to the specific officer and the TfL for that. I was not aware of the terms and conditions of using the freedom pass until now.

I truly understand the consequences of my actions and express great regret for my actions. I have learnt and suffered a great deal from this experience. Even to the point where I got myself a psychiatric evaluation to explain why my mental state caused me to react this way.

My actions are inexcusable, I know that Tfl are only able to operate if everyone pays their fare and I feel so guilty about attempting to breach public trust by using a freedom pass that’s meant to help the most vulnerable people in our society that I have no right to use.

I am happy to make immediate payment of all reasonable costs, outstanding fares and any admin costs, which due to my actions, have caused, and avoid a criminal record thereby allowing me to continue to my work and provide for my family.  

I really hope we can reach an out of court settlement and once again I am really sorry and I am practically begging for a second chance at life.

Thank you

scuze me asking, but....how old are you..

and they

urm ok cant use the excuse of youth.

gonna be difficult as you've held your hand up now to 3 uses now?

might have been better to have not admitted those and simply responded to the single incident on the 1st letter and made them prove otherwise

and you are not the sole earner either and your only dont wanna record it to preserve your own future. well the judges answer to that is your shouldn't have done it in the 1st place, and how much longer would you have continued if not caught. and throwing the kitchen sink and bringing in poss mental health issues does bode well ...and could harm your job by itself

TfL/Judges are not out ruin peoples future, but on the otherhand, have, in recent times, repeatedly pointed to it not a valid excuse for not prosecuting.

rock and a hard place, though i will say, but again i say how, im hearing oneoffs/casual few use users are often being fined with a recommendation that no criminal record be registered. 

dx

and they

Is the letter ok? 
It was a stupid decision. I never knew it could lead to prosecution. I’m aware it was wrong but I took it as one of those Netflix password sharing things not affect my job and life. 

I'm not sure I'd go down the Netflix line. As an intelligent person, you could have checked the Ts and Cs of the ticket.

You could add something about what actions you've taken about paying your fares in the future.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

admittedly i could have checked the T&Cs but i don't know anyone who does that.

i can add proof of paid journeys which i will do 

is there anything else i would add or is it ok to send? 

Proof of paid journeys might help. I was thinking in terms of saying you've bought a season ticket to make sure you don't end up in the same position again and show good faith. 

I hope dx will also have the time to comment on your letter. I might change the word 'assassinate' about your career  it's not one I've before. 

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

16 hours ago, stressed123 said:

I truly understand the consequences of my actions and express great regret for my actions. I have learnt and suffered a great deal from this experience. Even to the point where I got myself a psychiatric evaluation to explain why my mental state caused me to react this way.

so what? dont do naughty things then 

this is not about you. its what you did. they nor the judge couldn't careless. id drop this red bit totally.

change the first bit to too... i now truly 

16 hours ago, stressed123 said:

I am waiting to hear back for a court date.

add...whereby i have requested to appear in court in person to genuinely demonstrate my sincere remorse personally to the judge.

yes and i dont like the job line bit either....

assassinate is not the correct word

p'haps state the facts as you now understand them.

a criminal conviction would mean a criminal record ....

On 04/07/2023 at 22:17, stressed123 said:

Getting a conviction could affect my license to practice as I'm part of a registration body

please expand, is this NHS or private and what?

and they

Thank you both so much for your response. I have made the suggested edits to the letter.

On 06/07/2023 at 14:59, dx100uk said:

please expand, is this NHS or private and what?

I work for the NHS as part of a registering body required for doctors, dentists, pharmacists and opticians

ok so..lets look at this from a judges side..

a registering body is there to ensure people follow rules, and you are one that checks this happens...even if in a round about way....

not being funny but, trying to pull the wool you were not aware it was a sin to use someone elses free ticket , is well....

this is where careful wording of a pleading letter comes in.

its a bit like the trump situation ..

he wanted clinton prosecuted for poss sending secret docs in 30'000 deleted emails

but now doesnt want to be done for boxes of docs found in on his property that actually DID contain secret docs...

dx

and they