Anyone else think this is disgusting?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5698 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I havent got a clue about trains!!

But I wish there were more like you!

My mum got a letter back from Nexus after my sis-in-law sent them an email, and they were quite narky with her, saying it 'wasnt discrimination, it was health and safety.' Time for Round 2 methinks :D

Ah! H&S......that old chestnut used by all & sundry to try & escape their responsibilities

The Metro is a public service & they have a strict duty not to discriminate against anyone & in particular the disabled. They cannot rely on H&S to avoid that duty.....they have to make an accommodating to suit all passengers & which complies with the H&S regulation..........just banning a certain user ain't gonna hack it for them I'm afriad.....or placing conditions on use which for some will be impossible to fulfil ain't going to either

Do as I suggest & complain to the authorities

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive sent them another email pointing out there duty of care.... my mum knows a local councillor so shes talking to her about it. They chose to ignore my first letter... perhaps because they couldnt cope with the TRUTH??? the letter they sent back - part of which I quoted above, totally skirted the issue.

Ive already been published in the local paper... and my mum tells me there was allegedly a blockade of scooters arranged for yesterday which would have really hacked them off because Saturday afternoon is one of their busiest times.

Does anyone have any idea who else I could complain to? Which authorities would Nexus as a public transport operator be answerable to?

THE PRETENDER AGENDA - August 30,2008 - 2ND ROW!!! WOO-HOO!! :-)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR A FAB NITE LEE! xx

Sunderland 011008 - THE BEST BIRTHDAY PRESSIE EVER! 'Aww, it's your birthday! Happy birthday darlin!'

02 Apr 2008, 23:55

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

i like that!! its simple and good and gets the fans involved aswell x x x

MY SUCCESSES -

1st Credit (Lloyds TSB) admitted no CCA, reply from OFT 130608, reply from FOS 040608, adjudication stage rejected but still no contact....

My mate (Littlewoods/Moorcroft)

300608 -Long running battle,threatening court, CCA letter NO 2 and harrassment letter sent - passed back to Littlewoods early July.

070808 - Passed to Debt Managers, Acct in dispute/BOG OFF letter sent 080808...

140808 - Letter from Debt Managers passing debt back to Littlewoods - RESULT! :D

Good luck with your protest. This is absolutely disgraceful. x

• Haha 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

The change in rules follows two recent incidents in which mobility scooters have struck the opposite doors after boarding Metro trains, with the users falling through onto the track and needing hospital treatment as a result

If this was allowed to continue though, I can see the headlines when an accident turns serious, 'They knew this could happen and still allowed scooters on'.

I don't really see how a walking person could stop them shooting forward into the doors.

As long as they are seriously looking at a way to stop it happening, then I think it is probably the right short term measure.

On new rolling stock there are spaces provided for bike. motorcycles and wheel chairs.

A wheelchair/ scooter are about the same size, these can be accomodated in the vestibule end of the coach and the disabled person can either stop with the machine or be helped by the guard into a seat.

On most coaches, there are only 2 doors on each side of a coach., and enough room to stow a wheel chair/ scooter.

I have travelled thousands of miles whilst performing my duties as a guard, and in all that time 27 years, I have never seen any problems with wheelchair/ scooters.

The only problems have been made by bus conductors/ barrow boys who are running our trains to day.

You get more problems from silly 40 year old trainspotters who act like little spoilt brats.

If this was allowed to continue though, I can see the headlines when an accident turns serious, 'They knew this could happen and still allowed scooters on'.

I don't really see how a walking person could stop them shooting forward into the doors.

As long as they are seriously looking at a way to stop it happening, then I think it is probably the right short term measure.

I see your happy for the disabled to be confined in their homes, even short term,.........The Metro is a vital transport system for Tyneside..... also accidents happen all the time & in this case there have had a grand total of two! on a system that's been operating for years............I'm sorry but if we followed your logic even the able bodied wouldn't leave their homes for fear of an accident

Mrs Ryan I have already suggested who you should complain to......they can & often do take firms to court if they refuse to comply

Thank you CB!

Conniff, the whole point is they arent really interested in looking at how to stop it happening! And thats what everyone is saying - how on earth can someone else stop them going through the doors?! Throw themselves in front of the scooter??? Yes you can yell stop but how on earth is this going to help??? The whole point is they wont strengthen the doors or anything... and Ive pointed out to them that a similar accident could happen with an electric wheelchair, or even *god forbid* a buggy. They are bleating that 'our doors are strong enough - its all the fault of the scooter users' but some of these carriages date from the early 1980's when scooters werent really around.

But theyre still allowing scooters on.... and the accidents werent even reported. i see your point but what I am also so annoyed about is that there is NO alternative transport for scooter users... they are not allowed on buses or local rail services... if they cared to bother making alternative allowances it wouldnt be so hard but they just dont care.

Sunderland 011008 - THE BEST BIRTHDAY PRESSIE EVER! 'Aww, it's your birthday! Happy birthday darlin!'

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

MY SUCCESSES -

1st Credit (Lloyds TSB) admitted no CCA, reply from OFT 130608, reply from FOS 040608, adjudication stage rejected but still no contact....

300608 -Long running battle,threatening court, CCA letter NO 2 and harrassment letter sent - passed back to Littlewoods early July.

140808 - Letter from Debt Managers passing debt back to Littlewoods - RESULT! :D

JonCris you are a star. i missed the link first time as my computer messed up!

Consider your scales clicked :D

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

MY SUCCESSES -

Caught this thread late, and many suggestions have been made, but the bottom line is, is that they are hiding behind the Health & Safety regulations, and as a result have broken Disability Discrimination Act laws.

If you shout loud enough, you may be able to force them to publicise the risk assesment they undertook (which, if they are abiding by the Health & Safety regs, they would have done). Then you can pick that to bits.

I see there isn't much mention of the ability of the transport (bus, train, tram etc etc) to actually withstand some kind of "knock". Granted, scooters and electric wheelchairs can be heavy, but then so could a 20-stone Geordie after a few drinks. Whats to stop him/her leaning on the doors and falling out the other side?!?! (apologies if anybody is offended by the last sentence)

Are the trains and trams actually fit for purpose, and was any mechanical check on the doors done undertaken after these two accidents happened? (I'm sure after these accidents happened, this was done, but as part of H&S which Nexus seem so keen on, have they been done on a regular basis?).

There could be more to it than meets the eye. These checks cost them money, while the vehicle is "off-the-road".

Just my thoughts on this matter.

I see your happy for the disabled to be confined in their homes, even short term,.........The Metro is a vital transport system for Tyneside..... also accidents happen all the time & in this case there have had a grand total of two! on a system that's been operating for years............I'm sorry but if we followed your logic even the able bodied wouldn't leave their homes for fear of an accident

What a silly response. I have not said anything about 'confining them to their homes' and just because they can't go on a Metro doesn't mean they have to stay at home, so don't twist my words.

We don't have the Metro in my city and they don't have them in Dorset either, are all the disabled scooter owners in Dorset and around the rest of the country confined to their homes, no of course not.

The answer, as I said in my post, is for the company to take a serious look at adapting to eliminate the potential.

The public of Tyneside can only keep this in the public eye and ensure they don't drag their feet over doing so.

Accidents 'have' happened and you can't just ignore them. The next one could be serious or even end in death, you can't turn a blind eye to that and let the risk continue as if nothing had happened.

I would be up in arms if my scooter riding f-i-l had an accident of this nature and be filing court papers especially if the company knew it had happened in the past and continued to put the riders at risk.

**blush** thank you Mrs Ryan.

Have you thought to lobby your local MP and contact the local tv network they usually follow up on public interest stories and this surely is one. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Forget the doors being iffy.

If these trains were old DMU's or MK1 or 2 coaches you may have a problem.

All coaches now have central locking, which secures the doors. The only way they can open is by with the guard/driver opening them.

If any door did open, which they wont, the train loses its brake and stops.

Central locking was introduced as a lot of folk were falling out of train doors.

Some heritage operators of early CS have had dispensation from from ORR to run trains without central locking. They have to have attendents in each vestibule end to stop this happening.

[EDIT]

No need to shout 68904.

You know the in's and outs of trains.. great... we don't all know that though!

Can I respectfully ask that you edit your post to lower case, and not force your point, whether it's fact or not, with "is that clear???????????????" at the end.

Is that clear? :)

Pat... nice one lol

Wow, i didnt realise this would provoke such a debate!!!

Conniff. Are scooter users allowed to use other public transport in your area? Yes? Well, the Metro was the LAST form of public transport scooter users are allowed to use, effectively confining some people to their homes because they relied on the Metro to access local services - my mum for example used it to attend hospital appointments so she didnt take up an ambulance. Some people relied on it to go to the shops - for example it covers several rural areas where there is nothing for miles except the Metro so how do scooter users get to the shops?

pd - love ur comment :D thats a really good idea :D however they have said it has to be someone who can walk ....

68904 - the trains that run on Metro arent like conventional trains that run on main lines. They are rather like the london Underground in their layout and the doors are of a similar type.

CB - my mum is speaking to someone who lives in her street who is a local councillor and as far as i know (I live at the other end of the country so I only get updates from her via phone every evening :D ) this lady is speaking with the MP for the area so hopefully this will help. The local press are hot on the case (both me and my mum have been published in the paper voicing our extreme displeasure) I know local BBC have been on the case, I've just sent the second email to Nexus and Im getting in touch with the equality rights type people tomorrw. *phew*and thats no problem... :D everyone showing their support has been a great help to me :D its not easy trying to run this from the other end of the country :D

gni - the doors were tested after the accident as they were very quick to point out but thats an interesting point about whether they were tested regluarly. They claim that they can withstand force of one metric tonne but you were quite right in what you said.... whats to say... er... a larger person :D couldnt fall through them???

Nexus whole problem is they dont want to adapt.

There have been a worrying number of accidents on level crossings involving cars and Metros and yet nothing has been done to make them any safer. They arent it seems interested in adapting... they just want to make things easier for themselves.

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

MY SUCCESSES -

Thats a really good point actually.... I really have no idea how they are going to police the whole thing.. there are people threatening just to carry on travelling alone but I have no idea how theyre going to police it... probably throw them off the trains at the next station....

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

MY SUCCESSES -

Have a look at this link from RIAB.

In 2 years it seems that 2 trains in the whole UK had open doors whilst travelling on the track.

Both software/mechanical problems.

The railways today are not run by people who started at 15 years old, but by penny pinching accountants, and bus operators. As I say bus conductors and trainspotters.

The fault lies with the managmental systems in place not the driver or the guard et al.

Rail Accident Investigation Branch: Investigation Reports

There have been a worrying number of accidents on level crossings involving cars and Metros and yet nothing has been done to make them any safer. They arent it seems interested in adapting... they just want to make things easier for themselves.

Accidents on level crossing are not caused by trains, they are caused by silly motorists jumping the red lights at level xings.

If a train is going at 90mph, under clear signals, the train has the right of way over the roads.

If a vehicle is foul of the line the train is on all the train driver can do is make an emergency brake application, then fold his arms waiting for the bump.

If the rail is wet, then the brakes might pick up and slide into the obstructing road vehilce.

If a train is doing 90mph and it hits a car then we start to have a few problems. This is what we call a major disaster as there could be 200 people on the train, and the first coach will be smashed to pulp by the impact.

It is the motor vehicle who cause thses accidents not the trains., so let the Police go out and chase and prosecute all these drivers that jump red light.

I have been in the cab of a train doing 75mph when confronted with a kid on a motorbike coming at you waving his hands in a two finger salute.

The driver just looked at me and feard the worst.

That was an every day happening.

Thank you Kevin, thats very kind.

just an update.. we have now involved a certain Mr D Henderson... MP for Newcastle North :D

round 3 :D

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

MY SUCCESSES -

Oh well done Mrs Ryan. Hope you hear something positive soon x

BCOBS

Thank you CB... will keep everyone updated.

THanks everyone for your kind words and support.... you lot are the best :)

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

MY SUCCESSES -

Another update for you....

My mum had a call from MP's secretary yesterday... there will be a strongly worded letter finding its way ot Nexus soon.... :D

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

MY SUCCESSES -

Brilliant news.. Looking good :)

BCOBS