The OFT Case

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5582 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its all very hush hush isn't it...

HSBC WON three times!!!!! Read about my continuing battle (claim FOUR!) Link HERE

Capital One WON Link

HERE

GE capital (5 accounts) WON link HERE

Lloyds bank account WON second claim starting! link HERE

Budget insurance cough up WON link HERE

Principles WON link HERE

A&L (Mrs Crusher's account) claim link HERE

Barclays claim link HERE

Any advice given is on an informal basis only and without prejudice or liability. In in any doubt, consult a qualified lawyer.

IF YOU HAVE GOT YOUR MONEY BACK, PUT SOME BACK INTO THE SITE TO HELP KEEP IT OPEN!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just found this thread after applying for repayment of charges with Barclays recently. I had sent them my "letter before action" on 16-10-08, but on reading the following on the BBC news website I wonder if it's worth even continuing with my claim.

[b]Latest hearing[/b]

The judge's latest ruling focused on whether historic bank terms were unfair penalties under common law, and if customers who had been charged for going overdrawn could challenge them. 

He decided that customers could not challenge Barclays, Clydesdale, HSBC and the majority of Abbey's terms. A Barclays spokesman said they were "pleased" with the decision.

If apply to the courts with my claim then am I just going to waste a court fee for which I cannot afford to lose.

ratlover

I think this was just to see if the charges are penalties under common law, the UTCC point is still ongoing and if you have downloaded the POC from this website it should include both points in your argument.

We now know the judge doesn't consider the fees penalties under common law, but w may still be OK with the second argument, that is why the case between the banks and OFT is ongoing as well

Extremely unlikely :(

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

We all live in hope Rory :D then again it could go to the house of lords, mmm................... that will be interesting what with all the bail outs the banks are getting should it be there at all.

Whats more than likely is that were still in limbo come the new year.

Thanks for that RGS. I've just read through the item, and as far as I can tell from that, todays hearing is little more than a small step along the road that leads to a (probably very long) sequence of appeals, either by the banks or by the OFT, depending which way the decision on the application of the UTCCRs goes.

Still - heres hoping!

Adam.

I do my best to be helpful, but at the end of the day I'm not a professional - please seek further advice if you're not sure. On the other hand, if I have helped, please click my scales - thanks ;)

Current Claims (all for friends!) -

Abbey - over £4k - Court claim issued & AQ filed ('Tish vs Abbey'). Alloc'n Hearing 21 Sept - Claim stayed 29/8/07.

Cap One - just under £2k - WON (just over 2k!)('Tish vs Cap One')

Cap One - just under £1000 - WON (just over £1k) Nov 07 (JimmyBoy vs Cap One)

Lloyds TSB - £3.5k - Court claim issued, defence rec'd and AQ filed; Alloc'n hearing 7th Sept Claim stayed 29/8/07! (JimmyBoy vs Lloyds')

MBNA - over £1k for mis-sold PPI - WON - approx £1500(IpswichWitch vs MBNA . . .)

We all pay for banking in one form or another through pathetic interest rates on savings, extorionate interest rates on overdrafts, mortgages (banks not reducing rates in line with BOE rate cuts), loans etc.

I have no objection to paying them for a banking service which they provide, but they can start by giving me back the £0000's they owe me in unfair charges. After I've go those back, I'm going after them for the interest paid on the loan they made me take out to pay off the charges (at Base rate + 10%).

It's looking promising

Well, bang goes the illusion of free banking then, ladies and gentlemen, as stated by the bank's own lawyer... :rolleyes:

So what they are saying is that it's essential that customers default as without it they won't be able to offer 'free' banking ........... bit of a conflict there don't you think.

They design a system which makes it very easy for customers to default rather than a system that makes it unlikely........... go figure

Quite correct JonCris which means that people who are charged pay for the free banking of the more fortunate people in our society.

Its always the case that the most vulnerable people in society pay more for the same service. Pre-payment meters come to mind here along with the higher interest rates for anything take on HP.

"Laurence Rabinowitz QC, for RBS NatWest, said some of Mr Justice Smith's reasoning was "not justified" and "schizophrenic". "

Do they really think that by making such comments about fellow judges that they are going to win over and positively influence the presiding judges ?

.... I also think Mr Justice Smith now has a good case (on court record too) for bringing formal actions for libel !!

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !