E&L Pet Insurance - anyone else had problems?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3922 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks again for the input guys.

So, my dog got his health check and vaccination yesterday afternoon. I was able to explain the insurance situation with the vet who seemed to think they were just going through the motions. He said he cant see how they could not pay up. He did say it would probably drag on for a while but they should still pay in full.

I will update here when I have more information :)

It's unusual for a vet to not already know the really really bad reputation E&L have and know they will look to avoid paying claims as much as possible.

I strongly suspect they will initially decline the claim, you will then need a well worded (Polite and concise) "Official Complaint" which may make them relent, failing that the Ombudsman may make them pay but the Ombudsman works on similar speeds to continental drift.

You have a fighting chance by having the routine check done within the twelve months of them imposing this on your policy, I would recommend you obtain a letter from your Vet with regards to the frequency they recommend vaccinations/boosters which hopefully will reinforce you not having them every year.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the input guys.

The vet hospital and my local vet practice have both been very helpful and understanding in relation to payment.

I have explained I have a claim being processed with E&L. When the lady in the vet hospital heard I was insured with E&L her sarcastic response was "oh fabulous" so they understand they may have to wait a while for payment.

Both have offered to help in any way necessary with whatever hoops E&L make me jump through. My vet in my local practice did say he would write a letter for me to say he doesn't recommend annual boosters. He also said my dog has had a general health check each time he has been in for any reason so I should be covered.

Hi Ciara,

Great that you have them on-side and I hope it works out for you ............

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi yes we had real problems with the squirming rats...........KEEP WELL AWAY from them if you have to go all the way tio the Ombudsman ...thry'll then come home with tails between their legs explaining how we could have gone through their complanits procedure ....which we had already done over and over again........TERRIBLE COMPANY ...

regards Nigel 1804

HALIFAX CURRENT ACCOUNT SETTLED IN FULL 9/9/06.

N1 form completed 05-06-07,LBA sent 14-05-07,2nd go!Prelim sent 24/04/07

Halifax Visa 1.Paid in full

Halifax Classic.Paid in full.

LBA sent 14-05-07,GMAC prelim sent 24/04/07

Data Protection Act for halifax mortgage 16/09/06.

Just got an email from E&L. They are adding another exclusion to my next policy and can you guess what it is......

"Following the assessment of information recently submitted to our Claims Department, we will be

placing an exclusion on your policy:

With effect from 11/09/2013 cover for gastric torsion, dilation and bloat

This amendment to your cover is designed to exclude the re-occurrence of an illness or disease."

Is this normal behaviour from pet insurance companies? If you claim for a particular injury/illness they exclude it from your next policy so you cant claim again?

Oh and still no word on my initial claim...

Just got an email from E&L. They are adding another exclusion to my next policy and can you guess what it is......

"Following the assessment of information recently submitted to our Claims Department, we will be

placing an exclusion on your policy:

With effect from 11/09/2013 cover for gastric torsion, dilation and bloat

This amendment to your cover is designed to exclude the re-occurrence of an illness or disease."

Is this normal behaviour from pet insurance companies? If you claim for a particular injury/illness they exclude it from your next policy so you cant claim again?

Oh and still no word on my initial claim...

It's common with the majority of Insurers in this end of the market, if you had purchased a more expensive "for life" policy they would not exclude the condition and carry on paying claims all the time you continue renewing

Yes I think so . Can you imagine if your car insurance was the same. You've had your car stolen in the past so we are not paying out for that again. Thieving , B's. E&L TOLD US THAT OUR TACK HADN'T BEEN KEPT IN A SECURE PLACE BECAUSE THEY WANTED PROOF THAT IT HAD A 5 lever motise lock on the heavy tack room door that's after you got past the heavy metal door with two industrial padlocks the alarm system and the fact that it was an all solid stone building QUE!! [edited]. EVERYONE MOVE AWAY FROM E&L NOW!!!!!!

Edited by honeybee13
Personal abuse.

HALIFAX CURRENT ACCOUNT SETTLED IN FULL 9/9/06.

N1 form completed 05-06-07,LBA sent 14-05-07,2nd go!Prelim sent 24/04/07

Halifax Visa 1.Paid in full

Halifax Classic.Paid in full.

LBA sent 14-05-07,GMAC prelim sent 24/04/07

Data Protection Act for halifax mortgage 16/09/06.

Ok, so it looks like it's good news. Just got an email from E&L saying "with regards to your email, I can confirm that we have completed assessment of your claim. Please be advised that your claim has now been passed for payment and your payment shall be drawn up shortly." :-)

Hi Ciaranmon,

I'm delighted to hear that my pessimistic views were wrong and the claim will be settled with your vet.

Hope your dog's now fully recovered and that he suffers no similar probs in the future.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update anyone who has been following this and to be fair to E and L I just wanted to confirm they have paid up in full. It was actually all quite hassle free. Perhaps I jumped the gun in coming on here but I was fearful after the scare stories I had heard.

My dog continues to thrive and I just hope I don't have to make any more claims!

Thanks for all the advice and input

.............. and thanks to you for the update.

As long as it all turned out well in the end, it's all good.

The issue here is if your dog had a monthly check up, it still would not have prevent the issue from occurring! I am aware that vaccinations should be kept up to date, but I do not know that a pet has to have an annual check up. Our cat is with Petplan.