All my data wiped out by tech guys at Curry's

polly67
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4783 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Furthermore, if your case was in small claims, then it sets no precedent, so no, it can't be used as case law.

Someone could refer to it of they wanted to, but the judge wouldn't be bound to follow the decision by his colleague at all.

Well done all the same, glad you got the result you wanted. :-)

• 1 month later...

have settled with curry's now.

external hard drive and new copy of microsoft office.

have not and will not buy anything else from the store though.

polly67

might just be worth a point out, if it was sent in via a store they get you to sign a small white sheet that has the possibility of data loss in the small print.

if it was sent in under coverplan then that states your data under what isnt covered, (along with the battery so be warned)

if it was sent in from youself when its under a year old then its always worth an argue :)

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

• 7 months later...
Just to update anyone who is interested about what you can do to get compensation in this sort situation. I have been awarded £400 + costs in a case heard before the court on February 29th, 2008 for lost data. I had sent my computer back to Curry's for repair and they erased all my files and re-set the computer to its factory settings. The judge ruled in my favour because they had failed to inform me to back-up in writing BEFORE I SENT IN MY LAPTOP . They claim they had told me verbally but I wasn't. In any case the only problem was that I needed a new lead wire and the laptop was all ok! So, anyone should be able to use my case in a small claims court as case law (Colchester Court-KendallvsTechGuys) to recalim any lost data when you are not at fault. They are liable so forget what they tell you and just take them to court.

Hi all

I have just had the exact same thing happen to me i.e. lost all my data.

It all started when the screen on my laptop suddenly went all fuzzy. Tech Guys took it in for repair.

I called to chase after about a week and was told a new screen and hard disk was ordered. When hearing about the hard drive, I told the agent that I need my hard drive back and as the screen went without warning, I was not in a position to backup my data onto an external device before they came and took the laptop away. He said getting the drive sent back would not be a problem and he sent an email off requesting the old hard drive to be returned to the customer whilst I was on the phone with him.

Yesterday to my horror, I came back from work in the evening to see the laptop with a new screen and a new clean hard drive, but no old hard disk. I phoned straight away and was told that I had to call back and speak to customer services the next day. I spoke to customer services today and they said it had been sent off to another company to be disposed of and there was no way I can get it back.

I informed them that I spoke to someone who reassured me that I would get my hard drive back as he had sent an email to the engineers. They checked their records and acknowledged the conversation had took place and email sent but said they could only apologise. I told them that it wasnt acceptable as its caused me an awful lot of distress losing that data. I asked them to track it down but they said (probably just to get me off the phone) that they would double check by emailing the company but because they send this company thousands of hard disks a week, there is no way they would be able to track down my specific hard drive. I have not heard back since the call this morning.

Surely there needs to be some redress for this? What can I do? Can anyone please advise?

Unfortunately iddy, as stated above, if you sign a repair docket or take out an extended warantee policy they both specify that your data is not covered in the eventuality a repair is needed. And most documentation contained within laptops specifies that regular backups are needed to ensure no loss of data. I take it upon myself to ask customers if they have any valuable data on their laptop before I book things in for repair so they have the chance to backup before hand. But unfortunately as it's not a requirement to tell customers, it's often forgotten in amongst the standard "omg my laptop has to go in for repair why can't you just replace it" arguments.

May I just add.

As harsh as it might sound, people shouldn't need to be told to back data up. It should be done instinctively on a regular basis as part and parcel of storing important information on a volitile machine. The stories in here prove that waiting until your laptop goes and breaks before realising you haven't backed-up is just asking for data loss.

A 4gb pen drive costs less than a tenner now and can hold alot of valuable info. If your really scared of losing data a removable hard drive or a RAID setup is invaluable although alot more expensive but provide an automatic solution.

Renzokuken, thanks for your response.

The machine is only 5 or so months old. I feel I have a case as I specifically told the agent on the phone that I needed my hard disk back. He said it would be ok. If he said it was not possible for it to be sent back I probably would have stopped the repair, paid for courier for laptop to be sent to me and then pulled out harddrive, backed it up and paid for courier to send it back to the workshop. But he didnt, he reassured me and now my data has been lost forever. It was total negligence on their part.

just to clarify

ussually what happens

hard drive replaced under manufacturers warrenty - the old hard drive becomes property of the manufacturer as the repair means a swap of hard drives. the hard drive is sent back to the manufacturer it is sometimes possible to retreave it depending on if they test it before destroying but that depends on manufacturer and is quite rare

hard drive replaced under coverplan, the old hard drive is ussually sent back with the repaired laptop again if the old hard drive hasnt been sent back and can be traced its ussually sent back, not ussually a charge under coverplan.

if the laptops been written off, the hard drives are ussually stored for a few weeks (not sure how long sorry) these ussually have to be requested back but can be requested.

been a long time since i was at call center but thats how i remember it

please dont ask questions concerning the current running of the call center i have written reams about it on other forums and would rather not do it again

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

• 2 years later...

the tech guys no longer exist..... its called knowhow now

Please note: