Chip & PIN FRAUD - Check your statements

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6155 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Back to Check your Statements (& BIN your PIN - with your credit card).

Bury St Edmunds:

Hundreds of motorists using the garage have complained of credit card fraud in the last few weeks,

Cambridge again.

Mr Keen believes his details were stolen at a particular petrol station being investigated by Suffolk police after a spate of thefts.

Apart from PINs allowing access to your money at ATMs look closely at what the card industry say.

Apacs, the UK Payments Association, says that under the banking code customers who are the victim of card fraud must be reimbursed unless they have been negligent. (with their PIN).

"You can't be held responsible or ever be accused of being negligent with a PIN if you've not got one. Opt for Chip and Signature and continue to sign you know it makes sense.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a problem with asking anyone standing too close to 'please move back a little' or even cover the keypad with my other hand. I am open about it because IMHO people in the queue should have the decency to stand back or to look away - the shop assistant looks away so why shouldn't other shoppers? something we have to get used to. It would be so easy to put the machines in a box with a peep hole on the top (and a handspace of course) so only you can see the keys

maybe I could design one eh? I'll be rich lol

campodoro best practise and good idea, but crooks are reported to be using PIN capturing software;

Yet another garage:

GREAT YARMOUTH

The Texaco Petrol Station, in St Nicholas Road, remained closed today following the raid on Wednesday during which police removed equipment to be examined and arrested one man on suspicion of fraud.

Story click here.

Latest from PETERBOROUGH.

Our newsroom was inundated with calls from residents saying thousands of pounds have been taken out of their accounts.

Despite the new chip and pin security system set up by the banking industry to protect consumers, crooks are finding ways of getting people's personal numbers"

Story click here.

Don't let them use your PIN - Bin it!

Latest Garage - Welwyn Garden City.

A PETROL station is at the centre of an investigation into credit card fraud.

Calls have flooded into the WHT from concerned members of the public who believe their cards were used in Asia after using them at the Total garage in Stanborough Road, WGC.

The newspaper decided to hold back on releasing details as police fraud investigators carried out detailed work.

Story click here.

Check your statements and Bin your PIN.

You can add SW London to your list, happened to us last week.

We think that the card was cloned via ATM in our local shop as that's the only machine that was used to draw cash.(PM me if you need the address).

2 Days later, lo and behold, an large transaction came off the card via an Internet Gambling site. The card issuer was contacted directly, the card cancelled.

Struggling_Simon vs Cabot - WON

Struggling_Simon vs Abbey - WON

Struggling_Simon vs HBOS - Pending

--------------------------------------------

IF I HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Vigilantibus non dormientibus æquitas subvenit

Somper in excretia,som solem profundus variat.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Simon, Looks as if you card details have been used vice your card being cloned, and PIN used.

You can find some useful info on the following two links:

Bank Safe Online.

Get Safe Online.

Just like PINs there are so many different ways of capturing peoples card details that it's easy to understand why this type of fraud is so common.

If you get the chance, grab Computer Active Issue 237, 22 Mar to 4 Apr 2007 (On the shelves now). Page 6.

Banks to brand online fraud victims as 'negligent'

Sounds something like what they're doing with PINs.

Banks to brand online fraud victims as 'negligent'

Sounds something like what they're doing with PINs.

I have to laugh ...

I'M to be branded as negligent for drawing/spending MY money from the VERY EQUIPMENT they (i.e the banks) encourage/pratically force me to use?

I don't think thats a logical point.

---

I used to be employed in the financial (investment sector - not retail, don't worry) in Information Technology strategy, I feel that the retail banks just cannot make that argument stick. Somone will challenge them as to their duties.

---

My last firm would securely send £billions back and forward

(every day, in all currencies). We never lost a cent, lire or krone, allegedly. :-|

I let you draw your on conclusions from that ;-) , but do you think my former employer would ever dare to tell their investors it was 'their fault' that 'we allowed another party to spend your money by accident, sorry' ... and realistically expect to keep that customers' business?

Of course not, they'd lose £millions every time in FSA fines and punitive damages. Not to mention reputational damage.

--

It's our money and the retail banks have a duty of care to ensure that their transaction and clearance methods are as safe as they can be.

Their raison d'etre is to keep account of our money. That's why it's called an account, isn't it?

The technology is there to do it easily. I wonder how many CHAPS or BACS transfers are found to be fraudulent? Not many , I'd wager, because that's the banks' money.

No, No, my opinion is that the retail banks opted for the CHEAPEST POSSIBLE version in order to comply with the latest retail rules and regulations for free commerce. (Anti Money Laundering, Freedom of Trade etc etc etc).

The caveat to the above is that the safer, better technologies required are so hugely expensive to implement ... it seems HighStreetBank PLC is only interested in making profit and cares not a jot about their own reputation, as the marketplace is geared towards them anyway. (i.e captive).

The high street banks don't really need to care about the well-being of their loyal customers either , whilst their customers are still prepared to be shafted and kept in the dark.

This site and others like it, can and will change all that.

It's time to stand up and be counted. ( pardon the pun )

:)

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I do honestly think that the banks have been so huge and unchallenged for so long that they do literally see us customer-people-thingies as Other Beings. I can tell that because most of my dealings with banks have involved the bank's representative using exactly the same tone that I reserve for my aunt's ill-behaved labrador (stern and patronising); "oh, the Customers react to stimuli, they must feel something, but you can hardly equate these simple responses with the level of complexity and intellect that a Banker displays..."

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

I work in the heart of the city of London. I can tell you that to most of my people I interact with , ETHICS is the county where they live.

Latest garage [problem] - Bourne End, Bucks.

HORDES of drivers have had thousands of pounds taken from their bank accounts after credit and debit card details were cloned at a petrol station.

Story here.

Check your statements - Bin your PIN.

Not totally unrelated - I just returned from Spain and using my only Chip and PIN card to pay for accommodation, I was asked to enter my PIN into the standard-style terminal - Spain itself still seems to be issuing mag stripe cards as standard though for the locals. Anyway, after entering my PIN, out came the receipt and the clerks asked me TO SIGN. I declined, stating that as I had entered a PIN, I wasn't signing the slip as this may lead to an erroneous debit. Consternation ensued. It appears that there, the signature is ALWAYS obtained, irrespective of whether the terminal requests a PIN or not. I marked the paper copy that held my signature that this had been supplied in addition to the PIN. One to watch methinks.

AT last, the good citizens are benefiting from being well informed and their local rag taking action.

The Dorking and Leatherhead Advertiser launched its "Stop the Con, It Can't Go On!" campaign last week, calling for the garages concerned to stop using chip-and-pin facilities until they know it is safe for customers.

Story here.

Lest we forget -

What to do if someone else knows your PIN.

The Banking Code article 12.7.

It is essential that you tell us as soon as you can if you suspect or discover that someone else knows your PIN.

Shouldn't card issuers do likewise and reciprocate? Let you know YOUR PIN or PINs may have been compromised.

• 1 month later...

And another

This time at the Dunchurch Petrol Station, Coventry Road, Dunchurch, Nr. Rugby.

Garage Customers Fleeced in Card [problem].

FRAUDSTERS are thought to have taken thousands of pounds out of people's bank accounts in in a credit card [problem].

Used this garage - Check your statments, and Bin your PIN with your Credit Card.

• 2 weeks later...

The garage scams continue.

Last month in Hornchurch it was the BP garage, this month Esso.

So if you've used any card to make any sort of purchase at either of these 2 garages, check your statements.

Story here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Used your plastic at the Shell Garage, Drochester Road, Weymouth?

Then check your statements.

Story here.

Any thoughts on the possibility of YOUR PIN and Card Details being compromised and you not being told about it?