Selling second hand clothes to buy replacements whilst on benefits

mummytiger
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 377 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am single parent with a disabled child. I currently recieve UC (in LCWA group) and PIP.

We are living in very poor damp and mould conditions, that is contributing to my poor health and a risk to my child's health.

Many of our clothes have been ruined by damp/mould.... what i can salvage, is too small now, as children outgrow their clothes very quickly. 

I am too embarrassed to ask for help with a children's clothes bank etc but i just cant afford to buy replacement sizes all the time and as i have clothes to raise funds then i would rather leave the clothes bank to someone in more need,even it means me having to sell 5-10 items, in order for my child to get a second hand warm coat and warm boots.

Can i sell my child's used clothes on selling sites like ebay, in order to raise funds to buy my child replacement second-hand clothes in the next size up?

I understand ebay pays out monthly, so this could be percieved as 'regular' income as it could take months to sell.

I would be using the funds to buy replacement secondhand clothes for my child and the purchases would be seen as showing the next size up, would that be ok?

Ebay ask for a NI number,if it is ok to sell our used clothes (well, not so much mine, as i am housebound most of the time and live in house clothes),is there a limit of funds/amount per year and do i have to declare it? (as i do not want to be sanctioned) and children's clothing size change, seems like a never ending conveyor belt of needing to be replaced, so could be a long-term solution if allowed.

Sorry for the long post but i am desperate.....

• 3 months later...

Thank you. Is the selling limit £1000 per year before i have to inform HMRC? As it isnt profit, its second hand out grown childrens clothes, selling at a loss in order to buy other next size up clothing (as i am unable to afford new clothing), do i still have to declare it after £1000 in total sales per year? 

welcome back @tomtom256 nice to see you returning to the forum...

dx

• Like 1
  • I agree 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...