Claiming DLA for child whilst i receive UC & PIP

mummytiger
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 377 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am a single parent, i receive UC (LCWA) and PIP (enhanced both care & mobility).

Am i entitled to claim DLA for my disabled child (under 16)? 

I had been using my PIP money to pay for both our additional needs/care but our needs have increased and i am in financial hardship trying to cope financially with both our needs.

I didnt apply before for DLA, as i just struggled on with solely my PIP, as i assumed i couldnt claim DLA for my child, as i am registered disabled and having two disabled people in one household wouldnt qualify.

Would this affect my UC amount? Is there a benefit cap?

We have a very supportive family network but they too are feeling the strain.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yes you can claim DLA for your child under 16, which would be subject to the DLA assessment process.

If DLA is awarded for your child, you can then update your UC claim, reporting change under Children and other people who live with you, to confirm that your Child is in receipt of DLA.  You may then get an additional disabled child amount.

As you have LCWRA, you are exempt from the benefit cap.  And PIP and DLA payments are not included in any benefit cap anyway. 

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

No. has nothing to do with your LCWRA award.

When you were awarded LCWRA, a review period would have been set. But due to Covid related backlogs, any reassessment may be a long time in the future.  At the moment,  DWP are not referring people for reassessments and the LCWRA is continuing to be paid. 

• Thanks 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• dx100uk changed the title to Claiming DLA for child whilst i receive UC & PIP

I see, thank you for explaining.

I requested the DLA form in mid november, it arrived 4 days ago,18th Jan 2023 (I have no idea why it had taken so long-over 9 weeks) i have had missing/lost post since before christmas (mid December) and its trickling through now (with the dla form being the longest to take to arrive)

The stamp says i had until the end of December 2022 to return it but that has expired. 

What do i do now, do i ring them tomorrow and get them to send a new form with to new claim date?

As i doubt they will let the November claim date continue with an extended date given the major postage delay will they?

Just call DLA to explain about the postal delays. They should allow more time.

• Thanks 1

I rang them and they said they are unable to offer an extension but to put a covering letter with the form i recieved, explaining the postal delays and send it back asap. However, two months is a long time and they cant be sure it will accepted from November's date.

• 3 months later...

If you wanted to add disabled child element in respect of child that has a DLA claim, then you report a change of circumstances under the section Children and other people who live with you.  And the date you report on the change would be the date of the DLA claim.

Once you report this change, UC will then look to verify and include the additional amount.

No you can add Disabled child element and still have LCWRA for yourself.

I have the dla form still from November 2022 and havent completed it for various reasons, several family bereavements etc. Can i still send it or will they refuse it in its entirety? as the date has expired to return it or would they still accept it from the date i posted it or backdate it to a more reasonable date? Or is it a matter of requesting a new form and starting again?

Suggest that you call DLA on 0800 121 4600

It may need to be a new claim, unless you have documentary evidence to support reasons for delay in returning the form.  Which is why I suggest that you call them to find out about the process and if necessary to request a new claim and form to be sent to you.

• Thanks 1