Housing Association taking away internet access due to kiosk mode

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 591 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Interesting the yahoo thing as l have 2 yahoo email addys and never a problem like that and l have a ad bloxker and antivirus. 

I am not tech savvy but it might seem like kiosk mode has caused this problem. 

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can log into an email which is in a browser then its not on the local machine so its outside the PC anyway so Kiosk mode would make no difference as the data is in the cloud if you can log in on that machine to a cloud email server Kiosk mode of no consequence, in fact might be a hindrance as you can't have personal email client with spam and antivirus on any internal drive's individual user you area log into.  Kiosk mode makes that impossible.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

This does make it sound as if Platform Housing's claims about the security of tenants' data is a bit disingenuous. And they completely ignore the fact that we were using the PC without Kiosk Mode for ten years and never had any problems with viruses, personal details being hacked, etc. But it's like banging your head against a brick wall, trying to discuss anything with them.

The only option I have left is to make a formal complaint, and if this doesn't get me anywhere (which it probably won't), wait the obligatory eight weeks then take it to the Housing Ombudsman. But I don't hold out much hope of the HO doing anything to help, because they've got the worst possible reviews on Google and Trustpilot.

Hi Dave

You have nothing to be sorry for at all and I do understand that these sort of thing can wear you down all the fighting and seeming to get nowhere.

It is the Housing Association that are playing games here and one important thing I must point out is they actually work for you the Tenants not the other way around as it is all your Rents that pay for every single service the Housing Association provides right down to the employees wages.

As for the Yahoo even if you clicked this on kiosk mode and it was a virus the Housing Association installed anti virus software should pick it up as it is linked to there systems. Even if it was as it previously was before they change it to kiosk mode again the Housing Associations Anti Virus Software should pick it up as they will have some sort of virus protection on there system/servers.

So you example highlights what the Housing Association have so far failed to inform you is since it is link to there systems they will have anti virus software of some sort to protect there systems.

Them offering to gift the computer may seem a good idea as it is taken responsibility out of there hands but now my air of caution as it wont just be you using that computer you need to bear in mind the following:

1. Data Protection of those using the computer

2. Possible Repair Costs. (can you get insurance for the computer & printer and the costs)

3. Anti Virus Protection. (get a good anti virus protection that cover a few years so an initial layout cost).

4. Will you be charged electricity cost by the Housing Association for using the Computer? (you need to get this in writing from them and keep it safe)

5. Consider doing your own Disclaimer that anyone wishing to use the computer has to sign and keep it safe.

6. Paper and ink costs for the printer.

7. Add all the initial cost above together then break it down to those who want to use the computer to work out the individual share costs.

8. Internet access are the Housing Association still going to allow you to use there internet or will you have to get your own internet provider which will be an added cost. (you need to clarify this with the Housing Association)

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Good points from stu007  how old is the actual PC in situ now?  Off the wall thought, is it running Windows 10  If its on 8.1 that's end of support 10th Jan 2023 after which there will be no further Security updates so locking it down makes sort of sense sense if it can't be upgraded to Windows 10.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

• 3 weeks later...

@Dave2019 just thought I would pop in to see how this is going?

I know this can wear you down due to all the fighting with the Housing Association but IMO I would not let them get away with this as this is a typical tactic from any Housing Association and the big thing to remember they have breached there own Platform Housing Group Customer and Community Engagement Strategy 2021-2026.

That is what you continue to hit them with as so far they have even failed to acknowledged they have breached it and keep giving a different reason but not answering that specific question why they have breached that strategy.

I hope you are keeping well, take care of yourself

• Like 1

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• stu007 changed the title to Housing Association taking away internet access due to kiosk mode