Moving but it's complicated

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 541 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

we have lived in old house for 12 years, was with agency but they went bust and then with landlord, no new tenancy etc, had loads of issues with house no gas safety, no repairs done, we paid for some to be done.

We have given them 2 weeks notice as we have no agreement with them, he claims arrears, but yet we can prove otherwise, he increased the rent with no warning and decided to back date the increase. 

Recently increased it again but this time decided to add the selective licence fee on so we pay his fee, (no idea how they proved to council he got all ok to go ahead with it.) 

Today he sends am email saying  a month and wants arrears paid before we leave.  We have already left the house as we don't trust them

I will be giving new address over but I was thinking po box as I really don't trust them

Which part of the UK are you in - England?

Is the Landlord holding a deposit? Did you pay a deposit ever?

If someone claims you owe them money (for anything, not just rent) we always advise that you tell them your new address otherwise you risk a 'backdoor CCJ'.

Do you have the tenancy agreemnt document from 12 years back? Is it an Assured Shorthold Tenancy [AST]? What does it say is the notice period you have to give?

No deposit etc, just 8 weeks upfront and then rent every week.

Yeah I'll give it over but would a po box be enough or would court's not use this Incase he does try ccj I can see why the last tenant ran off now 

@stuggling Re PO Box.

The guidance on making claims doesn't specifically mention PO Box but does say that the claimant has to have the FULL address. That suggests to me that the landlord would not be able to issue an MCOL claim against you at a PO Box and therefore you would be at risk of a backdoor CCJ  if you didn't give the Landlord your full street address.

"c) Providing a valid address for each Defendant

You need to provide a full address within England and Wales for each defendant, including the post code. This is known as their service address. MCOL does not have jurisdiction outside England and Wales, claims issued to addresses outside England and Wales will be invalid.

• if the defendant is an individual the claim must be served to their usual or last known residential address"