Driving offences

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 539 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Change hours.

change jobs.

Get a lift / get a lift for the bits that aren’t covered by public transport.

pay for a mini-cab / pay for a Minicab for the bits not covered by public transport.

”Losing it not an option”? But what option now?

It makes little difference now if you were “just unlucky”, got a copper who recognised you and thought “isn’t he disqualified”, or someone dobbed you in it for driving while disqualified.

You’d be daft to consider driving (disqualified) to work now, as “you’ll have a target on your back”, so best come up with another plan.

Some people might consider “hey, I’ve got a job where it’ll be nigh on impossible to get to by public transport, and it’ll be a real bind were I to get disqualified”, and be sure not to get disqualified, or,  (if they then got disqualified) feel they were in a bind of their own making.

Some risk getting disqualified, and then, when they are, persuade themselves it’s OK to continue driving. The latter group should not expect much sympathy from the court when they get caught.

You had (& still have) options.

The alternative you seem to want is that the courts not be able to disqualify drivers (or the police enforce disqualification) if the offender says “but I’ll lose my job”.

While the courts have some latitude to consider special circumstances that doesn’t equate to a “get out of jail free card”, else there would be no disincentive to people driving as badly as they wish and then saying “but I can disregard as much driving legislation as I like, you can’t ban me ‘cos of my job’ “!

Yes they was chasing me at the time. I think there was another offence but I can’t remember what it was, possibly driving without care and attention.

You cannot be prosecuted for both dangerous driving and careless driving as they are statutory alternatives (that is, if you are guilty of one, you cannot be guilty of the other). For that reason the police will not charge you with both.

As far as the insurance matter goes, you (and your brother) have serious problems. You both need to think very carefully about what you tell the police if you are questioned about it (though they may already know what the true position is).

If you are charged with either dangerous driving or driving whilst disqualified, you will be eligible to see the duty solicitor on your first appearance only in court. He or she will be able to advise you on your pleas and probably help you with a Legal Aid application, but that's all. If, as you say, you have been earning good money, it is unlikely you will qualify for Legal Aid. However, cross those bridges when they come because for now it's important to wait until you know what you will be charged with.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Thomas66 said:

I don’t remember saying I was going to tell the courts that I would lose my job because that’s laughable. I guess I’ll quit my job and be a bum on the dole 

see above : you can highlight “special circumstances” in mitigation.

it isn’t “laughable” but nor is it a panacea.

I’ll quit my job and be a bum on the dole

I try not to be judgemental, but it is clear you need some assistance with your thinking.

Far better to be a "bum on the dole" than to drive whilst disqualified and uninsured and cause an accident where serious personal injury is involved. Fortunately it was only a set of railings this time. If you cannot do your job or get to it without driving then you must consider an alternative. Driving is simply not an option for you and it won't be for some time to come. After any further ban is ended the cost of insurance (if you can get cover at all) will be so prohibitive that you will probably find it cheaper to travel everywhere by taxi.

24 minutes ago, BazzaS said:

see above : you can highlight “special circumstances” in mitigation.

it isn’t “laughable” but nor is it a panacea.

Mind you, it is also a better option first time around……….

1 hour ago, Thomas66 said:

I don’t remember saying I was going to tell the courts that I would lose my job because that’s laughable. I guess I’ll quit my job and be a bum on the dole 

Can't you just travel by public transport once a week and stay in a hotel, Premier Inn, or Travel Lodge, or rent a flat, bed-sit, or other room during the week?  If it's the best job you've ever had, it might be better incurring that additional expense during a ban rather than losing your job.

Or couldn't a friend or relative drive you to work during your ban?  Or couldn't you pay somebody to drive you?  (A "chauffeur".  I'm serious - I'm not kidding!)

Yes I agree I’m definitely going to look into it. Can I just ask though if I tell the courts my brother had no idea I was driving the car will he be okay? The last thing I want is him getting into trouble for my stupidity