PRAC/BW letters re: old property BGAS bill after i moved out.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 742 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I'm new here, and looking for some advice!

beginning of March I received a  letter addressed to me personally (2 letters in the same envelope, 1 from BW legal, 1 from PRAC) stating that I owed £198 for a debt owed to British Gas for my previous property, the dates were from when I had already moved from the property to my current address.

In this letter they included a copy of the bill from British Gas which was addressed to the occupier of the property, I then checked the account number on the copy of the bill they had sent with the account number I had with British Gas at the property and they didn't match! Also when I moved to my current address I changed my address with British Gas so essentially just carried on with my account just at a different address. 

Next I sent a prove it letter to BW legal to see how they would respond, they responded after around 3 weeks. In the letter I received BW legal stated that they had my details from a soft credit check, stating i was the occupier at the time (nothing is showing on my credit reports including the accused debt) and that my debt to EON (yes different company) had been given to them (never had an EON account). They also said that they had included a copy of my bill which I have not received.

Now they are requesting that I send them proof that I was not the occupier of the address such as council tax bills, proof of purchase etc. I am not comfortable supplying these as I believe they are fishing for personal information,

now I am unsure of what I should do next, I have written a draft of a complaint letter stating that they have not responded correctly to my request to prove that I am responsible for the debt, but I don't really want to start a cat and mouse game,

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance    

Hi There

Thanks for coming over to CAG. BW Legal and PRAC are known to phish for perspective victims.

Can you supply proof that you werent there? EG Letter from the time? Council tax bill? Just in case you do need to prove it :) 

The fleecers do like to try it on - One of the other team members will be along shortly but I would worry so much.

FKO

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

pers i'd ignore them now until/unless you get a letter of claim.

if you do comeback here.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• dx100uk changed the title to PRAC/BW letters re: old property BGAS bill after i moved out.

Thank you both, should I send the complaint letter I have drafted?

At the moment I can't find a council tax bill but I have my completion letter on my current address and the email correspondence between myself and british gas changing my address, I will look for the council tax bill or see if I can contact my local council for a copy. 

Take this up with British Gas. When you left the property you should have given them meter readings, so they knew what energy you were responsible for, which you will have made arrangements to pay. When you moved address your account with BG most likely included any amount owed related to your previous address.

If you did this, then those chasing the debt have made a mistake and BG should ensure that you are not associated with any debt.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I can't seem to contact British Gas as I no longer have an account and they always ask for an account number before you can speak to a person! I have also emailed and they have said they are not responding to emails at this time. I will keep trying to contact them 

I'm having the exact same problem contacting British Gas too & for a random number bill.

I'd mentioned it on here some time ago & someone listed two people to email, but never mentioned their email addresses.

On 15/04/2022 at 10:59, dx100uk said:

pers i'd ignore them now until/unless you get a letter of claim.

if you do comeback here.

goes for both of you.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Managed to contact British Gas, I was right owe nothing, they have said they will send me a final bill to forward to PRAC should be matter over 🤞

If any wants to contact them I got through on 03332008899 option 3 then 4, then got transferred to energy was all sorted in 20 mins!

You can do one of two things, ignore them until/unless they issue a summons.

Or write to them telling them that you were no longer a resident at the address for the billing period, enclosing a copy of you CT bill.

Are you still with BG at your new address?

They're not he sharpest tool in the box so need it explaining in baby terms, did you take a final meter reading from this property?

Did you inform them of the final meter reading?

How old is this utility bill?

Prove it letters are pointless letter tennis, you want answers to specific questions, have you started their complaints procedure?

What evidence do you have that proves you weren't living at the property for the billing period?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thank you for the reply, I didn't realise this had even been posted!

I think I have sorted the issue now, managed to speak to someone at british gas who are going to forward me a final bill for me to send on.

Thank you for your advice though!

• dx100uk changed the title to PRAC/BW chasing BGAS or EON energy debt, with wrong information, fishing?

two threads merged.

a final bill from BGAS is a good tool to hold onto, don't fire your arrows yet.

PRAC have your correct address now as you sent the (pointless) prove it letter.

sit on your hands now, until/unless you ever get a letter of claim.

dx

and they