DWP asking my mam for bank statements - RE: deceased Dads old war pension - poss payment after death?

cossie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 825 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My Mam has received a letter stating that she will be receiving a phone call from DWP and is required to have bank statements to hand.

No idea why because she doesn't receive any benefits other than State Pension with Deferred Pension from my Dad's War Pension ( he passed away 24th April 2020 )

she doesn't receive any benefits other than State Pension with Deferred Pension

None of their business what savings Mum has. 

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

54 minutes ago, mantis shrimp said:

perhaps they wish to verify that, and levels of savings, if any. 

I get that, she was on HB about 3 years ago, ( parents didn't live together ) which was stopped after she went over the savings threshold. As far as I know my Dad wasn't receiving any benefits either, puzzling. ?

• I agree 1

I think you need to be careful to verify that it is DWP that is requesting this information and then ask why they are wanting this information.

This could relate to a period several years ago and DWP would only investigate where savings levels would have affected benefit entitlement. So not related to state pension.

• Like 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the info guys, I will be seeing my Mam today, so will gather more info from the letter. She phoned yesterday in a bit of a tizz because as far as she was aware, everything had been all above board and finalised after my Dad passed.

Hi

I have to agree you need to confirm this letter is actually from DWP.

What I find strange is why would DWP stating they will phone and that your mum must have Bank Statements to hand.

1. As your Mum claim NO Benefits.

2. If DWP required to see Bank Statements to confirm a claim they would ask for these to be sent to them NOT discussed over the phone

Are there any phone numbers on the Letter?

Just for Info for your Mum as Dad was a Veteran and she gets a Deferred War Pension she also has Veterans avenues to ask for assistance which may also be useful to yourself:

Veterans UK:

WWW.GOV.UK

We provide free support for veterans and their families, including a helpline, Veterans Welfare Service, Defence Transition Services and...

Veterans Gateway

WWW.VETERANSGATEWAY.ORG.UK

The Veterans' Gateway team is the first point of contact for the welfare needs of veterans and their families.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

DWP compliance do issue letters saying they will phone at x time and please have Bank Statements available.

Usually they ask for specific information e.g. what was your account balance during the period xx/xx/xx to xx/xx/xx.

I would suggest answering call, but advising that as an elderly person unable to have proof of the identity of the caller, that Bank Statements will be sent to a DWP address. E.g. nearest Job Centre. And the compliance officer can obtain them from the DWP office.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the info guys, I'm actually a veteran myself, but I never thought of utilising the contacts for my Mam.

Mam has phoned this number (0161 429 2177) as they have an old mobile number, but it was an automated call.

I have sent an email to DWP to confirm if it is a genuine letter.

Just a quick sit rep everyone.

Mam had the phone call today and it was to do with DWP Pension Credit.

We were none the wiser as to what this benefit was and it was explained that it was to do with the MOD and should have been declared separately from the 'Tell Us Once' & 'Death Notification Service' as it involves a private pension.

it will have to be paid back from 2020 when my Dad passed with a possible non declared fine. 😔🤯

• dx100uk changed the title to DWP asking my mam for bank statements - RE: deceased Dads old war pension - poss payment after death?
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi cossie

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

I would contact the Veterans Gateway link in post#10 and just explain that your Mum thought filling in the Tells Us Once Form would have notified the Forces Pension about his Death but have been informed by DWP that Forms does not do this as it has to be done directly with the Forces Pension Provider which you were unaware of until DWP notified you of this.

Notify the Forces Pension Service as soon as you can and just explain the above and they may ask for a copy of the Death Certificate.

Here are a couple of links for you:

Forces Pension Service

FORCESPENSIONSOCIETY.ORG

Whether you die with a pension in payment or with preserved or deferred benefits, your family have clear cut entitlements.

WWW.GOV.UK

Emotional and practical support for bereaved families and loved ones is available from government departments and approved charities.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks for that info Stu007, might come in handy if Mam has to appeal if a fine is imposed.

I had to contact Equiniti to get all the information that DWP are asking for.

My Mam is not refusing to pay the overpayment or the fine, but I think she should appeal against the fine ( if imposed ), as it was a genuine misunderstanding.