Sickness Following Heart Attack

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 869 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

April 2021 i had heart attack complete shock never had any signs it just happened, i sent 9 days in hospital and since been diagnosed with heart failure.

I have been in full time employment since March 2018 and always worked hard and never had any sickness. I had 3 months off work and my employer paid my wages and everything was fine,

i started back doing the same hours split working from home and in the office and since September full time in the office, i do take lots of medication and have been struggling with the work load ( 60 hours week including travelling ) and made some mistakes as well.

My director requested a meeting and pointed out that i was making errors and this was unaccepted, i explained due to the amount of medication 16 pills every day it makes me very tried thus struggling to cope at times, and her reply was well you had time off and should be able to complete my job. 

I did mentioned taking holidays as still have 21 days to take by the year end December and got the reply " Well you had time ofF paid " i explained this was not holiday it was sickness. F

Last week i felt very unwell and reported in sick as my GP advised i can self cert for the first 7 days and really should be off work. However during the week the director has sent emails requesting another meeting to discuss sickness and performance as well.   

I feel that they come across as nice but now looking to end my employment on performance issues, not sure where i stand with regard to my job and don`t want to call as this will only increase my stress levels.

Can they act in this way and do i have any rights to ask with change of role or reduced hours, but they will say no

Any feedback will be helpful

Edited by dx100uk
added A few blank lines only..dx

Tagging @Emmzziwho is very knowledgeable about employment matters.

Are you in a union? Have you consulted them?

So what's the current situation? Your employer has asked for a meeting? Have they told you formally what the purpose of the meeting is, and whether it is a formal meeting under their employment policies?

Normally if you go back to work after a major health issue requiring months off, the employer is expected to risk manage the return to work.  For example they may agree a plan with you, to work reduced hours to start of with and then you gradually increase your hours over a period.

From what you have said, you have been poorly treated.  If you are unwell, then obtain a Doctors fit note for a period they recommend and submit this to your employers.  Don't be pushed into taking part in any meeting regarding performance and sickness.   Your health comes first.

Your employment terms and conditions should state how long they will pay you on full pay while you are sick. 

Info from ACAS, see link

WWW.ACAS.ORG.UK

What employers and employees should do during absence, including when someone is bereaved or needs time off because of a mental health...

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi

I agree with the above your health is more important and the way your employer is treating you is shocking.

They really need to understand that you have had a Heart Attack and the recovery period can take months as well as your body having to adjust to all the new medication you are now having to taking due to this which will all have different side affects until you body adjust to these medications.

Your Employer should have carried out a Risk Assessment/Back to Work to discuss with you a planned phased return to work due to your medical condition. Did they actually carry this out?

IMO you need to speak with the Hospital Consultant/Cardiac Rehabilitation Team you are under at the Hospital and explain to them fully what is happening at your work and if they could do a letter to fully explain your medical condition and any adjustments need in your work.

Does your Employer have an Occupational Therapist in place?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Upon my return they did no return to work and the phased return was based on home and office but the same hours, speak to my consultant yesterday and he has stated every person has many different recovery rates, medication changes also take many months to get the fine balance. I explained the job and hours including travelling and has said that must change going forward my GP is calling today and according to the consultant will issue sick note for month or on going this will help my life adjustments. 

Going forward i do think job change is on the cards  but not at this time. I will send the sick note to the company and also request my holidays think its 21 days left but they have said all holidays must be taken by the end of December or they are lost but how can i take them if on the sick ?

If you are ill and cannot take holiday you can carry them over - statutory holidays that is, so 5.6 weeks per year, less whatever you have had to date.  Anything over that may be lost.

I think you need an occupational health referral. Is it a larger organisation with an HR department?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

• 1 month later...

Well my consultant and my GP confirmed its to soon to return to work due to my condition and on going treatment, my employer has sent a letter requesting a meeting on 6th January to discuss my personal performance ( Its heading Informal Performance Meeting ) but HR will be present to take notes. Within the letter she has listed some concerns such as Delivery loading errors, customer service errors, staff performance.

I have been signed off until 7th Jan which is only a review date and after speaking to the hospital today they confirmed this will be extended, therefore is there any point attending the meeting when clearly i will not be returning any time soon. I was going to ask to change to part time hours but they have already stated this won`t suit the business.

Any feedback will be greatful

My previous comment still applies - "I think you need an occupational health referral. Is it a larger organisation with an HR department?"

They are going down a performance route, I think they should be going down an ill health route - which includes as assessment of their legal requirement to provide reasonable adjustments (or not).

ASK for an occupational health referral. Don't wait to see if it happens or not.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Hi

I have to agree with Emmzzi

You need to immediately ask for an Occupation Health Referral and not wait for your employer to decide as their actions to date with not risk assessment/back to work plan after such a medical condition is shocking.

Is your Employer a large Organisation? i.e. how many employees within the Company

With this supposed Informal Meeting with HR present to take notes you makes sure that any letters sick notes (basically evidence of your health condition) you take with you.

What you also need to look at is the Companies Sickness Policy & Disciplinary & Grievance Policy if not available on there website to employees then you ask to be provided with copies of these in writing.

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Are you well enough to take part in this informal meeting ?

If you feel that taking part in the meeting at this time would be stressful, then I would suggest that you delay the meeting on the basis that you will need to obtain your Doctors advice.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Unfortunately at this time I have good days and bad days, its been hard trying to adjust. I take around 120 tablets every week and feeling breathless at times, just standing after sitting down is hard as I feel dizziness so not driving at the moment,I was diagnosed following the heart attack with Left ventricular Failure so not an easy fix. 

Sorry to ask but how do you get occupational health referral 

This is from ACAS on occupational health. When I was referred by my employer, it was an outside agency, but your people may have their own department.

WWW.ACAS.ORG.UK

When an employer might need to use occupational health to help an employee get back to work.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi

I have to agree do you feel well enough to attend that Informal Meeting due to your Medical Condition also taking that amount of tablet to try and control your condition and that your body is still at this time trying to adjust to all this medication and your mention of the further diagnosis would be be of sound mind to attend that meeting and understand what they are saying and answer question without this adding further stress/health issues?

If the answer is NO then you speak to your GP and explain what your employer is doing and this is adding further stress and affecting your mental health at this time and if it can be recorded in your medical notes and your GPs advice about attending this meeting and if they could either sign you off/do a letter explaining that you are not fit to attend this meeting due to your health condition. (note: if the GP does this they will require your consent due to DPA to mention your medical condition etc. to the employer)

You take care of yourself and remember your health is more important