Restrictive covenant

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 970 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm just about to buy a house that has an old covenant stating that I can't build or obstruct a boundary wall of more than 3ft high along the norther part of the site.

However, I'm planning on building an extension along this boundary - will this be allowed?

My solicitor has told me that if I breach the covenant, all I will have to do is pay an indemnity, but I've read elsewhere that I might need to pull the extension down.

Can anyone give any advice regarding this?

Thanks.

I haven't been through the planning process, I'm afraid. But I would start with looking at the website of the local authority to see what information is there.

ETA: Link

WWW.GOV.UK

When you need planning permission, where to apply, what counts as permitted development and how to appeal a...

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

How old is your house, when was the restrictive covenant imposed?

The practical issue with restrictive covenants is whether there is likely to be anyone around any longer who would want to enforce it. What is on the other side of the northern part of your property to which the covenant applies?

If you are not familiar with restrictive covenants have a look at this explanation (a search will bring up many similar explanations) --->  Five Things Everyone Should Know About Restrictive Covenants - Hart Reade

Restrictive covenants have nothing to do with planning permission so I'm afraid it's unlikely the local council will be able to help. You are already discussing it with your solicitior so they are best placed to answer the question you have asked here.