GP Negligence prescribed sleeping pills which caused urine retention and an indwelling catheter to be put in - Quality of life ruined by GP negligence!!

linzie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 538 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Is your relative OK now? That's the most important thing.

The health ombudsman suggests trying to discuss things with the surgery first, maybe some like the practice manager. What outcome are you looking for from the complaint please?

https://www.ombudsman.org.uk/sites/default/files/How_to_raise_concerns_about_a_general_practice_0.pdf

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Would the instructions be online?

As I said just now, it would be helpful to know what you're trying to achieve with your proposed complaint. What would you like the surgery to do please?

HB

There's no special way to write a complaint, it's not very different to posting here and you seem to be doing fine.

Set out the complaint and what you want them to do about it, post it up here and we'll help you to refine it, if it needs refining.

You won't consider speaking to the practice manager at the surgery?

Also, can you tell us the name of the sleeping pills?

HB

Well, I'd suggest writing to the practice manager and the pharmacy manager in the first instance.

I know I keep asking what outcome is being sought, but to my mind an important part of writing a complaint letter is saying what you want to happen.

HB

Has the GP seen the patient again since the problems started? I'm not clear how long this has been going on.

I had a quick look at the GPhC website and examples of why you would report a pharmacist. I think you mentioned Dispensing Error.

Dispensing errors

'A dispensing error could include being given out-of-date medication or medication that is incorrectly packaged or labelled. It could also include being given the wrong medication or prescription product, or the wrong dosage.'

Bazza knows a lot more about this kind of stuff than I do, but was the medication in the box what it said on the outside and was there a label saying how often to take the tablets?

I think I would have rung the pharmacy or gone in and asked for an information leaflet, although as I said they may well be online anyway.

HB

I think we've understood all that.

I'll ask again what you want to happen. With the pharmacy, do you want someone to be disciplined or lose their livelihood?

And the same with the GP.

HB

This is from NHS England on complaining about a GP.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/contact-us/complaint/#complain

And information on acessing medical records. Stu007 has a point, has your relative had a formal diagnosis of dementia and do they have capacity to sign a letter of authority for someone else to act for them?

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/about-the-nhs/how-to-access-your-health-records/

Just to mention that we had a previous thread here where the GP who was subject to the complaint arranged for the patient to see a different doctor in the practice, as they felt the relationship had broken down. I can find a link if you're interested.

HB

See whst others think, but I would put 'the record' instead of 'my', to avoid confusion.

As I understand it, you would still need a letter of authority from your relative asking the surgery to release the information, as I said. Did the hospital indicate if he has capacity to sign documents? My mother was diagnosed with dementia by a psychiatrist, is that what happened here?

HB

I mentioned this earlier in the thread and I think BazzaS did as well.

You can't just write to the surgery and ask for information on your brother. It would be like me writing to your GP and asking about your medical records.

HB

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Linzie.

When did you send the letter to the surgery please? I assume you sent a letter of authority from your brother with it, to authorise them to release information to you?

For your other post, while we're waiting for people like @BazzaSand @stu007to get back here, I think an early question is what you would like to happen following this chain of events. I can see you feel your brother could have been better treated but what do you want the surgery to do about it?

Also, does your brother want to stay with them or not?

HB

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to complain to the practice we can help you to refine it but we need you to do a draft letter first. Only you know what's happened so you need to start this off.

Also it might be worth considering the timing of the actions you want to take so that they aren't counterproductive. 

A question. Have you already complained to the practice with your brother's written authority and were they aware it was a complaint?

HB

• 2 weeks later...