JSA change of address, will it move us to universal credit

superg
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1793 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Everyone

I am currently on a joint claim for jobseekers allowance my and my partner are going to be moving only a few doors down the jobcentre coach says that we have to claim universal credit if we do move.

I don't trust them and think they are not telling the truth we would rather settle in first. can anyone tell me if they are telling the truth?

I found a document that's called (What-triggers-a-claim-for-Universal-Credit) and it looks like we don't but still unsure

Thank you for any advice

If there is any change to housing benefit claim, then yes a move to UC will be required.

if there is no housing benefits claim, then can stay on JSA.

Other triggers are contained in this link.

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/changes_that_trigger_Universal_Credit

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you for taking the time to reply. The only thing that would change is the house number. the postcode is the same its the same type of house in the same street 

Do you claim housing benefit ?

If so, the change is likely to trigger a need to move to UC.  But speak to the Councils housing benefit team about this.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Depends on a few factors but from UBs entitled to link 

already claim Housing Benefit and you move within the same local authority have a choice - remain on adjusted Housing Benefit or claim Universal Credit if you will be better off

So talk to your Local Authority. - generally as long as a claim exists a change of circumstances  should be fine and the existing claim continues. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies people I spoke to the council and they said we should not be put on universal credit but the job coach said we would be. the coach tends to not tell you the truth looks like I will have to find the dwp internal guidance and prove him wrong he will probably be trying to reach more targets 

Thanks again for replies people  

So just refer them to the website information linked to earlier in this thread and  tell them what the council have said. Any issues, ask to speak to the duty manager at the Job Centre.

i suspect Job Centre under pressure to remove people from JSA and get them claiming UC. 

On 18/05/2019 at 13:57, unclebulgaria67 said:

So just refer them to the website information linked to earlier in this thread and  tell them what the council have said. Any issues, ask to speak to the duty manager at the Job Centre.

i suspect Job Centre under pressure to remove people from JSA and get them claiming UC. 

The technical term is they haven't got a Scooby!

Although there's a bit of speculation that your final point might be very close to the truth! There has only been one rouge JCP area trying it on before being called out (top down management direction)...... but lack of staff training is rampant and far more likely rather than direct malice.

Glad things worked out for you superg 😀 

• Like 1

The other possibility is being part of this 10,000 pilot trial, but you should have had a letter about this, if this was the case.

• 5 weeks later...

HI, We are in  the same postion as you, we had a house fire and was  put in hotel for 2 days  and now council are saying they stopped our H B , even though we didn't know until  rent arrears had built up to £515 , and that was only because we had a phone call form our  H A , we never ever received the letter they sent out saying it had been cancelled we go back to our home 3/4 times a week for mail, 

So now we have been give Notice of Possession  and have appealed and been refused, the  H A  were the ones who cancelled our assured tenancy on the day of the fire, and now they have admitted fault and have changed the date so our temporary  address runs  straight on including the H B , I have sent them the information as  well for the group Entitled  to , which you have put on here, 

Our time is running out we now have 11 days to Appeal to the Independent Tribunal, we dont want to claim U C , as neither of us are very computer savvy , but mainly because this is NOT  our mistake, I have all the emails where the H A have admitted their errors and changed the dates , these have all been submitted  to the council who pays the H B , but they have still not given us another answer ,even with all the information  and emails from me and  our H  A , 

Please can anyone advice { did go to C A B } but with respect didn't help that much , 

The letter we recently had form the council keeps stating  they ended our H B   due to regulation 79 of the Housing Benefitd Regualtions 2006 ,BUT  it was our H A  that ended our  tenancy on our old property while we stayed in  temporary property in same area. 

We have lost our home in that fire and I think we are now going to lose this one, due to people  not doing their job properly. 

I am 63 and my husband nearly 60 , and we claim ESA , DLA AND CARERS ALLOWANCE  and have never been in debt , rent or otherwise, 

So any advice please x