Blue badge and PIP

Vixen7
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2293 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is just a tip for anyone who receives a blue badge because they get tbe Mobility component of PIP.

I was on DLA for years up until Nov 2016, when I was transferred to PIP.

In the 'old days' with DLA,

when you came to renewing your blue badge,

you simply completed the application form,

enclosed passport photo,

ticked the DLA section and sent a photocopy of your DLA award letter

(regardless of how old that letter was, as I assume the Blue badge team would check with DWP anyway).

I re-applied for my Blue badge to be renewed a few weeks ago.

I sent a photo -copy of the most recent document I have from DWP,

which is the letter I got in FEB last year informing me of the amount the PIP would increase by from April (annual increase).

The reason I did so is because the Blue badge info states that they will only accept proof of PIP from any letter during the LAST 12 months, hence my PIP award letter from NOV 2016 would not suffice.

The 'increase ' letter I sent clearly states that I'm on Mobility component and that I'm on it for the next several years and has an end date on it too.

To be on Mobility component you have to have scored 10 points in that section.

My local Blue badge team rang me to say that they can't accept this letter as 'proof' as it doesn't actually state that I received 10 points.

I pointed out that if I hadn't scored 10 points,

I wouldn't be receiving the Mobility component in the first place,

are they not aware of that fact as they are dealing with this in their job all the time ?.

She agreed that this is true but that the only proof they're allowed to accept is a letter dated in the last 12 mths which actually states HOW MANY POINTS I have been awarded and that I need to ring DWP and request that they send me such a letter !.

So more damned red tape.

I pointed out the fact that when one calls tbe DWP,

it can quite often take half an hour queuing simply to speak to them and that even then,

they may not actually send you the information for WEEKS which will then delay my Blue badge application and that my badge will probably have expired by then !.

This fell on deaf ears.

I was told that they (Blue badge teams) all over tbe Country are having to ask 100s of people to do this re the proof !!.

Absolute madness.

I rang the DWP PIP section and to my surprise,

got through within a minute.

Spoke to a very helpful man who said he can send me the letter showing my points but with this week's date on and that they are dealing with this request all the time now.

Yet MORE time taken up by DWP staff having to do what in my opinion,

are un-necessary and avoidable tasks when the previous system worked adequately re Blue badges.

Bureaucracy gone mad yet again.

WSe will ALL be having to do this every 3 years now when our badges expire.

Edited by dx100uk
paras

You could get 10 points for mental health problems on mobility which wouldn't give you a blue badge but would get you the mobility element. As such they need to see the actual initial award letter that has the points break down on it.

Tomtom356. It's my understanding that if one gets the Mobility component for Mental Health, they automatically qualify for a Blue badge simply by receiving the Mobility component.

The Blue badge guidelines/rules simply state that if you get the Mobility component of PIP (regardless of whether it's for Mental or Physical) you automatically qualify for a Blue badge.

Correction-just checked and you need 8 points in the Mental health side of PIP in order to get the Blue Badge.

Hi

Could you clarify that this is actually your Local Authority (Council) that is stating this to you?

The Local Authority (Council) which set the rules for your area in line with Blue Badge will have a Policy in place setting out the Procedure they have to follow.

What they will probably do is direct you to The specific Blue Badge Rules whether you are in England, Wales or Scotland. (that's all fine and well but does not tell you the Councils Actual Policy)

So write to the Council and ask them specifically for a Copy of the Councils own Blue Badge Policy. (not the Government links)

(remember to keep a copy and get free proof of posting from the post office, you need to keep a good paper trail)

once you get this just think of your experience and as you read it just think 'did they do that' and if not highlight it and when done keep a note of it as evidence to use against them.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Excuse the above, have just realised that people with mental health problems DON'T automatically qualify for the blue badge unless they score 8 points in the 'Travelling and planning a journey ' section, apologies.

Hi Vixen7

No apology is necessary

Is this exactly what you Local Authority (Councils) 'POLICY' states.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

..continued...but only in the Mobility section ' planning a journey and travelling '.

Yes Stu, it's my local Council.

Yes Stu,

I got the booklet setting out how one qualifies and what proof you need of your identity, proof of your home address and proof of the PIP you receive which shows proof of which sections you got PIP points for.

I've also looked at the Council's website re Blue badge criteria. They ARE correct.

My original post on this was really to let other people know that the rules are different re PIP and blue badge than when we had DLA and that I think that it's un-nessary red tape ;

the proof of PIP during last 12 mths part and having to ring PIP for an up to date letter.

This means that 100's if not 1,000's of people across the Country must be having to ring the PIP office as I've had to do.

PS. Very unfair discrimination against people with mental health problem re blue badge and obviously why the Government are now doing a u-turn on it.

What an absolute farce, the DWP now have to have to reassess all of these people and this will take how long?.

It should never have happened in the first place, obviously a cost-cutting exercise from the start !.