Child transferring from DLA to PIP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2927 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My grandchild will turn 16 next January and we assume he'll be transferred from DLA to PIP. I've read on various forums that the PIP forms are sent out a year in advance, but his mother hasn't received them yet. He's on indefinite DLA. Should his mother request the forms just now or just leave things as they are and wait and see whether the forms will get sent out. We live in Scotland.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Probably best to let sleeping dogs lie - DLA will continue to be paid until the assessment process for PIP is complete, so there's no advantage to filling in the forms early. Use the time to start collecting evidence and read up on how best to complete the forms.

• Confused 1

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Thank you both for your replies.

I actually made a mistake in my initial post. My grandson isn't on indefinite DLA, he's been on it since he was very young, he was awarded it until his 16th birthday. Will that make any difference or will I just tell his mum to do as you suggested? Again, thanks for any more info.

It won't make any difference. I've heard of cases (I'm not sure of the situation now) where some children have been kept on DLA for now because of the backlogs.

But yes, as RMW said, DLA will be paid until PIP process is complete.

Thank you for your reply. Just to clarify, should my daughter just wait until the PIP forms arrive? Won't my grandsons DLA stop on his 16th birthday though as that's when he was awarded it until? Sorry for all the questions, it's just that we don't want his money to stop on his birthday and his mum suddenly finding things extremely difficult moneywise. If that happens they could be without that money for goodness knows how long as we've read that PIP can take months, even a year before it's awarded, with assessments etc.

Your daughter should just wait for the forms.

DLA would only stop if the forms weren't returned on time (you have 4 weeks to return them) or in their opinion, he doesn't meet the criteria.

Whilst PIP does take months, his DLA won't be affected during that time as long as the forms have been returned and if he has, attended the assessment.

Just done a bit more research on this and apparently a claim for PIP CANNOT be made by someone under 16, so in this case it can't be made before the existing DLA award has expired and so the forms cannot be sent out much in advance. However, I would be suggesting that Mum contact DLA if she's not heard anything by about a month before the 16th birthday.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.