EON sent me an annual statement

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2946 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Talk about having it all ways round. The energy companies charge us a standing charge for the maintenance and checking of our meters and claim they're checked by the meter readers and then also insist on the guts of a hundred quid up front for a meter to be checked. Which is it? My meter is at least 25 years old and I've never had someone read my meter AND say they've checked it's working properly.

I think there's a bit of confusion here hightail. From what you've said, I suspect you're talking about two separate things. If I might explain.

Daily Standing Charges are about reading and maintaining meters, keeping properties connected to the networks, transporting energy from power stations/gas depots to individual homes etc. Whereas checking meters is a specific activity where a customer believes there might be a fault. In these cases, we fit a Check Meter to monitor usage. Initially, there's a charge for this but this is fully refundable if the meter turns out to be faulty.

Before going down the Check Meter route, we'll go through a customer's usage to see if there's anything to suggest a fault. Depending on the circumstances, we might ask customers to do certain checks themselves. We do this because when we arrange for meters to be tested, only around 1 in 200 come back as faulty and we don't want customers paying unnecessarily.

Hope this explains the difference between daily standing charges and check meters hightail.

Malc

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Daily Standing Charges are about reading and maintaining meters, keeping properties connected to the networks, transporting energy from power stations/gas depots to individual homes etc. Whereas checking meters is a specific activity where a customer believes there might be a fault. In these cases, we fit a Check Meter to monitor usage. Initially, there's a charge for this but this is fully refundable if the meter turns out to be faulty.

Well in over 70 years never had a meter checked for any faults just quick read and gone, no matter who Supplied energy. Just another Regulator not doing their job.

We can supply a service BUT! you pay for equipment for us to know what to charge you! Says it all.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

exactly the case always

I KNOW mine is faulty, too as it moves very slowly even when all the power has been isolated by throwing the switches… only very slowly, but still… over 15 years it could add up!

a person I use to know worked in a meter company and they stated wear and tear in a decade or less

My meter is like an old antique… it has Eastern Electricity on it… probably one of the oldest types...

Hahahahhahaa!!! I think mine may have been used in one of those Hammer Horror Frankenstein films...

more modern than the one I had then, mine had a starting handle, Noah said pull down to get into gear. lol

It really is a farce. The only time either of my meters has had any attention was when I employed a gas safe guy to remove a gas fire a couple of years ago. He discovered a gas leak at the meter and it was considered an emergency - never seen such a response. Shouldn't energy companies be required to check/maintain their equipment at reasonable intervals?

Well… I have signed up to EDF… probably swapped one rip off merchant for another… but we shall see… at least on the form I filled in, the quote for electricity (for a 2 bed bungalow with single occupant) was two thirds cheaper than it is at EON! TB

Well… I have signed up to EDF… probably swapped one rip off merchant for another… but we shall see… at least on the form I filled in, the quote for electricity (for a 2 bed bungalow with single occupant) was two thirds cheaper than it is at EON! TB

Just keep ahead of their forward plans as I found i.e. say November 2017 etc (i.e. price promise) at least you are not locked in and can leave anytime without penalty, your accommodation is the same as mine but two of us! they also do the warm front from September I believe discount application date!

Just make sure the unit rate is cheaper, not just what they are quoting as your direct debit amount

Just keep ahead of their forward plans as I found i.e. say November 2017 etc (i.e. price promise) at least you are not locked in and can leave anytime without penalty, your accommodation is the same as mine but two of us! they also do the warm front from September I believe discount application date!

Ha! The Warm Front should be automatic for me…I went for the cheapest option as there didn't seem to be much advantage going for the expensive one… all the standing charges were the same, just the kWh variation… Both the unit price and the standing charge is cheaper than EON, so a no brainer, really. TB