Flashed going though amber light. Have dashcam proof.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2782 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Playing devils advocate here

Green does not mean Go

It means Progress with caution.

There was a case in Southampton where a Cyclist went through a red light and was killed by a driver who went through a green light.

Part of the case centered around the driver going through the green light. It was not deemed a defence. The driver did themselves no justice however, they were sending a text at the time.

Morale of the story is that you drive according to the signs and the road conditions. Doing 50 through a junction like that could result in a careless cyclist or car or motorbike being hit. Driving through on green may not be accepted as a defence.

Another aisde. Some heavier vehicles have lower speed restrictions than those signposted. As such speed cameras on those roads are sometimes calibrated to account for those.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The offence would be to drive without due care and attention. If there had been a Police car behind you and they saw you driving near the speed limit through a light like that, they could give you a warning. You had no chance of stopping. BUT the limits on that road are at fault, as there should be a 30mph zone limit ahead of the lights. If they tried it in court, you could argue that whoever designed the safety of that road, had decided that there was no problem drivers doing up to 50mph towards the lights. That you were driving per the road signs and conditions at the time.

There are LOADS of roads with 50mph going up to junctions. This isn't a bad design of a road.

The lights stay amber for quite a while to enable you to slow down.

Playing devils advocate here

Green does not mean Go

It means Progress with caution.

Again, can you show proof of this?

Direct from the Gov website:

GREEN means

you may go on

if the way is

clear. Take

special care if

you intend to

turn left or right

and give way

to pedestrians

who are

crossing

"Proceed with caution" still doesn't mean slow down. Slowing down does not mean take your foot off of the accelerator since this may not slow you down. Are you suppose to apply brakes for green lights?!

Too many people assuming stuff that may have been true many years ago. The laws change all the time.

That is my source.

Progress if the way is clear, means that you should progress with caution. You need to do a mini risk assessment in your head to ensure the way is clear. Not making the assumption that a green light means GO :)

Going through a junction at 50 and being in a collision would imply one progressed past the green light when the way was not clear. Hence why you should slow down to make sure the way is clear before progressing :)

My point still stands, going through a junction @ 50mph as the light is green and colliding with someone or something that missed or failed to obey the red light the other way would still not afford you a defence.

Anyhow, unless you hear anything, it is nothing to worry about. No collision occurred and you were on an Amber and under the limit. so in theory, no laws broken. Unless of course, your speedo is wrong

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

'AMBER means STOP. You may go on only if the amber appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident'

highway code

seems you crossed the stop line after amber. seems then, you'll have to argue the latter point re 'so close...'

unless it was re speed, as some traffic light junctions may have a lower speed limit then the carriageway before.

(if though it was you flashed. time will tell :))

for info, re negligence cases, the '40m/dilemma zone/tipping point' is generally considered, depending on the partic circs, re crossing an amber.

IMO

:-):rant:

Yes, amber means stop. you failed to stop even though you had chance to. Poor driving if you ask me. I would imagine someone will sit with the photo now and try to determine if you had time to stop or not.

Traffic Light Colours

The most common traffic light which is used in the UK consists of three bulbs with a different coloured lense in each.

In the UK, the lights commonly use a sequence of four phases:

Red means, “Stop”.

When the colour red is shown on the traffic light set you must bring your vehicle to a complete halt

and wait behind the stop line on the carriageway.

It is compulsory to do so otherwise you are breaking the law and could face prosecution.

When the RED and AMBER lights are shown at the same time then you should bring your vehicle to a complete halt.

Make sure your vehicle is behind the stop line and wait for further instructions from the traffic light system.

Next is the turn of the GREEN light and

this means that you may proceed with your journey but only if the road ahead is clear.

But if you are turning on to another street,

whether that be right or left you should be wary that pedestrians may be crossing and that special care is needed.

When AMBER is lit up alone it also means, “Stop” at the stop line.

The AMBER light is next in the sequence and when it appears you should bring your vehicle to a complete halt at the stop line.

However if you break the stop line or cannot get stopped in time and in a safe manner then it is best to continue with your journey.

Finally, A GREEN ARROW may be provided in addition to the full green signal and notifies the drivers to move to the left or to the right.

If the way is clear then you may go but only in the direction shown by the arrow.

Wouldn't give it a second thought, wait and see if the money making machine sends you a begging letter, then decide.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Wouldn't give it a second thought, wait and see if the money making machine sends you a begging letter, then decide.

TS10 offence Failing to comply with traffic light signals Up to £1000 fine on the means test and 3 points. Wouldnt really call it a begging letter if it does appear on his doormat. More a drive safely in future letter and just to make sure that you have learned your lesson, we will doc you some driver points and take some credits. Seems fair to me. Dont drive like your staring in need for speed and all is fine. He was in the wrong, and i, as a motorist, would rather these individuals face a fine and points rather than the system become so lax that no one cares.

I was simply imparting advice to the OP, I'm not really interested in all the flannel, red light this, amber light that.

There is nothing to do unless he hears anything more.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I was simply imparting advice to the OP, I'm not really interested in all the flannel, red light this, amber light that.

There is nothing to do unless he hears anything more.

indeed, the op asked the q, and it was discussed/opined. nothing wrong with a discussion. :)

see whether it was him or not flashed and actioned. though, op was in contravention of the amber (subject to the 'so close'), according to his own video :)

IMO

Thanks Ford. Not sure how the heck Grumpy thinks I could have stopped within 10 meters from going just under the speed limit. That is not stopping safely. Even going 40mph, 10 meters including reaction time is almost impossible.

I hope he isn't on the roads.

Jump in your car, find an airstrip and test that. It BS. If your car takes 35 meters to stop at 50mph then I would take it out the back and shoot it.

Secondly, thinking distance doesn't come into this as you were approaching lights so you should have already be thinking about slowing down and not just concentrating on getting through.

What I am saying is that IF you have been caught, you might be a bit stick, but, we are discussing it here in order to get the best outcome for you.if you don't want my input you are free to tell me to stop posting. And I'm free to ignore you and post anyway. The the thing with an open forum such as this. You have not asked our professional independent impartial free legal advice, you have asked our OPINIONS.

Thinking time is the time it takes to see something and react. Thinking about stopping before hand doesnt change this. You honestly think you could go from 50mph to 0 within 10 meters including reaction time? Do you often drive on Sundays?

No, 15 metres is stopping.

The books REACTION time is based upon something sudden and unexpected happening and you having to go from blissfully unaware to applying the brakes.

In this instance, you saw they were approaching and could have slowed in anticipation that they may change.

The debate is that those green lights are "Stale" you should be expecting them to change and be anticipating them to change to amber. Hence you should be slowing down.

The debate is that those green lights are "Stale" you should be expecting them to change and be anticipating them to change to amber. Hence you should be slowing down.

Should I be applying the brakes in order to slow down? I took my foot of the accelerator as I always do, never knew there was a seperate speed limit for traffic lights. I even went as far as asking 2 family friends who are traffic police.

Traffic police wont be the ones prosecuting you so they wont have a clue about traffic light cameras. Pointless asking them.

No, we are not talking about the speed limits here. We are talking about the fact that you got flashed going through a traffic light camera.

Now this may have been camera having a hiccup and you will hear no more.

It could be that it took a pic as you were on the cusp of being over the amber/red limit and when the operator views the ticket, they will bin it.

It could be that as soon as the light was out of camera shot it turned red and that's why you were flashed going over the line.

What you should have been doing is taking the foot off the accelerator and down shifting in order to reduce speed slightly and improve the cars stability and braking efficiency should you have to apply the brakes.

joey

for yr ref, if needed, the Regulation 36 re the highway code re amber

'(e) the amber signal shall, when shown alone, convey the same prohibition as the red signal, except that, as respects any vehicle which is so close to the stop line that it cannot safely be stopped without proceeding beyond the stop line, it shall convey the same indication as the green signal or green arrow signal which was shown immediately before it'

The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions

also, looks like it is a speed cam also, markings on the road. are you sure the limit wasnt lowered prior to the junction.

anyway, time will tell :)

IMO

Oops no they're not traffic police. Grumpy, the dash cam video is already on the first page. You can clearly see the lights turning amber less than a fraction of a second before I crossed the line. The flash is while the lights are still amber.

Thanks Ford. Speed limit is 50mph, still is. I noticed it flashed someone else for the same thing a couple of days ago too.

I doubt anything will come of this. Thanks for your time.