Eon fined again for overcharging its customers

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3330 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I like the decision to give the fine to the CAB.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32157906

HB

E.On to pay £7.75m for overcharging its customers again

One of the UK's largest energy suppliers, E.On, has agreed to pay a further penalty of £7.75m for overcharging its customers.

The payment was ordered as a result of the company's "repeated failing" by the energy regulator, Ofgem.

Some customers paid too much in the process of switching. Others were wrongly charged exit fees.

E.on apologised to its customers, and admitted it was not the first time it had made the mistake.

In November 2012 the company paid a £1.7m penalty for the same thing, although the company said the underlying reason was different.

In the latest case, around 48,000 customers were potentially affected.

Many of those were in the process of switching to another supplier, after E.On announced price rises in January 2013 and January 2014.

Edited by citizenB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I like the decision to give the fine to the CAB.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32157906

HB

Do not be conned by this.

The fine for EON was £1.00 applied by Ofgem for EON a repeat offender and one of the worst for this type of problem. To EON its the cost of doing business.

Is not the CAB in a conflict of interest by accepting the money?

Will the CAB engage 10 barrister to help you or I? I think not.

Will the CAB engage more full time solicitors or para legal's. I think not.

The CAB act as arbitrator/ mediator between the parties and do not help, the needy in the UK to take on the big boys in the energy sector. Hence why I raise the question is this a conflict of interest?

Ofgem are not fit for purpose.

Yes, a similar thing happened with Npower in February 2014. Token penalty of £1, additional payment or "package" put together by energy company. I'd imagine these two instances are not uncommon. The whole system is a joke. To add insult to injury, the energy company then (usually) tries to put a spin on it, using it as a PR device ("Oh, look at how caring we are providing all this money!" etc.)

Personally I've found the CAB to be pretty useless with the advice it provides - which can end up being more harmful than providing none at all. On the subject of barristers, our local CAB were not even aware that the Bar Pro Bono Unit existed to help vulnerable people (you have to be referred to them by a solicitor, an MP or the CAB).

Oh great!! I've just switched to these lot......on a fixed term/payment for 12 months.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!