Hired surfing kit, not returned. Please help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3364 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

ScarletPimpernel: Yes I know. I want to fix all this and solve my doubts. The point is how.

Dont you think that airport passport control is for things more serious (like killers, drugs, rapers or things like that)? If that is possible, then I guess I should never return to UK.

1) Paying for the items (& lost rental fees) is the correct thing to do.

It also makes it less likely you'd be arrested for theft, but doesn't prevent it : paying afterwards for items doesn't prevent a conviction for theft if AT THAT TIME you hadn't paid for them you appropriated them with dishonest intent to permanently deprive the owner. Changing your mind later doesn't erase the previous offence.

2) Border control should be for preventing killers & rapists, but if you are suggesting they should turn a "blind eye" to thieves ; you must be joking. If part of their checks are "those for whom an arrest warrant is outstanding" : they can't pick and choose which warrants to enforce. If a court has issued a warrant and they are aware : they must enforce it.

Are you really suggesting that, or is it "just thieves like you" you feel they shouldn't be on the lookout for?

The border staff don't just look at criminal issues either.

If a foreign national owes a debt for treatment to an NHS Trust, the trust can register it with UKBA (currently, the debt must exceed £1000 before the trust can register it)

If the foreign national attempts to re-enter the UK, they can be delayed at the border until the debt is settled.

If they'll do this for a civil matter : they wouldn't think twice about calling the police for an outstanding arrest warrant.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cuco,

CAG is not meant to be judgemental. So, advanced apologies for my post.

You stole the surf kit intentionally, you said you had time to return it which you didn't.

You say that police could not find the surf kit. You then say that your acquaintance has the surf kit but is afraid to return it to police.

All you seem to be interested in is in information as to whether you will get into trouble for this when you return to UK.

All I can say is what other people have already said to you - that you should contact the shop you stole the surf kit from to agree a repayment plan for your theft. If you do not do this, then I hope that you will be prosecuted for your crime in the future since all you seem to care about is the fact of whether or not you will get into trouble for this. You need to resolve this yourself, - either return the stolen kit in which your acquaintance is afraid to give to the police, or arrange a repayment plan.

To give you information such as whether or not you will get into trouble for this criminal offence upon your return to UK is IMO just aiding you with your theft.

@bazzas I am not suggesting they should turn a "blind eye" to thieves. What I mean is that is not the same stealing a bank that stealing a surf kit. And I imagine that someone would not be in the "blacklist" of airport passport control for stealing anything, whatever it is. Maybe you are right and being a thieve, no matter what someone has stolen, it is enough reason to be in the "blacklist" of airport passport control.

Moreover, I have understood that it is necessary to instruct a lawyer to act on behalf of the company (and I believe that to be at passport control in England, it is demanded a warrant order issued by a court and being a costly procedure (more than the kit ) is not likely to do so).

Theft is theft in the UK. No matter how you justify it. Find out where the kit it, return it, offer your sincere apologies and be ready to pay any form of compensation if they try and go to court ( they probably wont)

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

cuco, again, you still seem intent on deciding whether or not you can get away with your theft.

theft is theft. it is criminal. you say that stealing from a bank is different from stealing a surf kit? Both are theft, both criminal.

As you seem intent on deciding if you can get away with your theft and not resolve this with the shop you stole from, I do not feel there is anything I, or anyone else can say to you.

Personally, I hope the shop throws the book and reclaims the cost of their surf kit you stole, in addition to the loss of their rental income as well as their legal costs from you as you are clearly avoiding the issue and are more interested in the probability of you not being prosecuted/ fined/ arrested etc.

Nothing more to say to you. I'm out of here.

@bazzas I am not suggesting they should turn a "blind eye" to thieves. What I mean is that is not the same stealing a bank that stealing a surf kit. And I imagine that someone would not be in the "blacklist" of airport passport control for stealing anything, whatever it is. Maybe you are right and being a thieve, no matter what someone has stolen, it is enough reason to be in the "blacklist" of airport passport control.

Moreover, I have understood that it is necessary to instruct a lawyer to act on behalf of the company (and I believe that to be at passport control in England, it is demanded a warrant order issued by a court and being a costly procedure (more than the kit ) is not likely to do so).

If you could find an email address for the Surf hire shop, you could send them a message, that you have had a nagging thought about the kit you hired, which you had to leave behind when making an urgent trip back to Spain. Say that it was left with friends at x address and you hope that the kit was returned ok.

Then see whether and how they reply. Perhaps the surf hire shop people went around to the address you had given them and they took the kit back.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

@cuco, so in your mind stealing from a bank is wrong but stealing from a small business is ok? Your actions could be and most likely are affecting the owner on a personal financial level. I have worked in a small family business before and know what impact theft can have.

You have stolen off the owner of a small business; you have stolen off a person trying to make a living. And yet you still do not want to do the honourable, right, correct, honest thing and pay them for the items YOU took, you really are the lowest of the low. I only hope that one day someone treats you in the same way as you are treating the owner of the surf shop.

I will not post any further on this thread as I now have no respect for the OP or for the pitiful excuses he gives.

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle

ssparks2003: I am not saying that stealing from a small business is good. Of course it is bad!! What I mean is that is not the same steal something which is valued at 1.000.000 pounds that steal something which is valued at 500 pounds. Simply that the value of what you steal is something to really do have in mind. Only that. Or it would be the same for you that somebody steal you a t-shirt or an expensive car? Not right? That's it.

It is not that I dont want to do the right, honest thing. It is just that I dont know if I could due to I dont know if i will have enough money. Besides, I dont know if to do the honest thing is good or bad for me. Maybe for doing the honest thing I provide them valuable information

Edited by cuco

No, the company would maybe instruct lawyers to sue you, and while costly, its not that costly and they would look to recoup costs from you anyway.

The police dont need to do that. They can just issue a warrant for your arrest on suspicion of theft. No costly lawyers. And WHEN they find out your in Spain, I HOPE they will pursue you there. I believe you said in your first post that you gave him copies of your passport etc so they know who you are.

And stealing from a small shop is probably WORSE than stealing from a bank. At least you would have to have big brass ones to rob a bank......

ssparks2003: I am not saying that stealing from a small business is good. Of course it is bad!! What I mean is that is not the same steal somthing which is valued at 1.000.000 pounds that steal something which is valued at 500 pounds. Simply that the value of what you steal is somthing to really do have in mind. Only that.

It is not that I dont want to do the right, honest thing. It is just that I dont know if I could due to I dont know if i will have enough money. Besides, I dont know if to do the honest thing is good or bad for me. Maybe for doing the honest thing I provide them valuable information

You dont know if the honest thing is good or bad for YOU. That says it all right there.

No, the company would maybe instruct lawyers to sue you, and while costly, its not that costly and they would look to recoup costs from you anyway.

The police dont need to do that. They can just issue a warrant for your arrest on suspicion of theft. No costly lawyers. And WHEN they find out your in Spain, I HOPE they will pursue you there. I believe you said in your first post that you gave him copies of your passport etc so they know who you are.

And stealing from a small shop is probably WORSE than stealing from a bank. At least you would have to have big brass ones to rob a bank......

I dont know why the most of you want me to be arrested. I dont provide them any copies of my passport and anything like that. I am sorry disappoint you, but being pursued in Spain requires something more serious. Interpool is not going to go to Spain to look for me for that.

The shop was not small. The opposite. There were hundreds of wetsuits, surf boards, gloves and slippers

Hello there. I wonder if you've had answers to the questions in your first post please?

1. What should I do after this?

2. Do I have to pay a fine (It seems it would be RLPlink3.gif - Retail Loss Preventionlink3.gif)?

3. Having my email address, Why have not police made contact with me?

4. What I did is reason to arrest me?

5. What would be the period of limitation?

6. I anticipate going to England in the future. Can police catch me in airportlink3.gif passport control?. I mean, What I did is a reason to be in the "blacklist" of passports?.

I know what I have done is bad and I will never do it again. I feel embarrased. Please, help me with my doubts, I am really worried with this situation.

I'm just wondering what you're looking to achieve at this stage?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello there. I wonder if you've had answers to the questions in your first post please?

1. What should I do after this?

2. Do I have to pay a fine (It seems it would be RLPlink3.gif - Retail Loss Preventionlink3.gif)?

3. Having my email address, Why have not police made contact with me?

4. What I did is reason to arrest me?

5. What would be the period of limitation?

6. I anticipate going to England in the future. Can police catch me in airportlink3.gif passport control?. I mean, What I did is a reason to be in the "blacklist" of passports?.

I know what I have done is bad and I will never do it again. I feel embarrased. Please, help me with my doubts, I am really worried with this situation.

I'm just wondering what you're looking to achieve at this stage?

HB

What I mean to achieve is answers to my questions. Someone who is a lawyer or knows about law and could answer my doubts. That's it. Could I not achieve it at this stage?

Thank you. :) And do you think any of your questions have been answered now?

HB

Maybe any of them. But I dont know if all of you know enough law to trust in your answers.

Maybe any of them. But I dont know if all of you know enough law to trust in your answers.

Well, you've come to a consumer forum where we are concerned volunteers and members of the public. Some people here know about shoplifting problems, but none of us are lawyers.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

What I mean to achieve is answers to my questions. Someone who is a lawyer or knows about law and could answer my doubts. That's it. Could I not achieve it at this stage?

If you want a lawyer, go and hire one. We are all here out of the goodness of our hearts to help people that need help. we are not here to help criminals escape justice.

1. What should I do after this? Maybe open a surf shop and give away stock for free?

2. Do I have to pay a fine (It seems it would be RLPlink3.gif - Retail Loss Preventionlink3.gif)? Unlikely, unfortunately.

3. Having my email address, Why have not police made contact with me? Because they dont have to.

4. What I did is reason to arrest me? Yes, Theft. Thieving. Stealing.

5. What would be the period of limitation? The rest of your life.

I know what I have done is bad and I will never do it again. I feel embarrased. Please, help me with my doubts, I am really worried with this situation. Yes, they can catch you at passport control.

Hope that all puts your mind at rest.

1. What should I do after this? Maybe open a surf shop and give away stock for free?

I did say I wouldn't reply to this thread again since IMO the OP just wants a 'get out of jail free' card, or to evade responsibility for its theft.

But had to reply... just to say hahahahaha lolololol to grumpy!

its beginning to sound like he didnt leave the gear at his old address.... But lets not go there.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

If you could find an email address for the Surf hire shop, you could send them a message, that you have had a nagging thought about the kit you hired, which you had to leave behind when making an urgent trip back to Spain. Say that it was left with friends at x address and you hope that the kit was returned ok.

Then see whether and how they reply. Perhaps the surf hire shop people went around to the address you had given them and they took the kit back.

what a great and perfect idea

there might not even be any issue since day one.

lots of ear bashing going on in this thread

cag is not here to judge people

if you cant help the OP

then I politely suggest you don't post

dx

siteteam

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

just saying,how did you pay for the hire of the equipment? do they have your bank details?,the place that you stayed at,did they have any of your details? theres probably a case against you right now,the police have probably more info on you than you think,if you ever came back to uk you may get stopped somewhere,you might try and hire a car in the future and find it goes bad for you,theres that many big data bases of information these days,if I was you I would take the advice you have received here

@citizenkain I paid it by cash.

No, they dont.

The people of the place where I stayed had not any details of me.

As I have known, hiring a lawyer and making a claim or case is more expensive than the kit, so it is not worth it.

Which advices you said I should take?

What do you mean with trying and hiring a car in the future?

@citizenkain I paid it by cash.

No, they dont.

The people of the place where I stayed had not any details of me.

As I have known, hiring a lawyer and making a claim or case is more expensive than the kit, so it is not worth it.

Which advices you said I should take?

What do you mean with trying and hiring a car in the future?

I would not bother continuing to debate this.

What evidence do you have that the Police actually went to the address ? Your friends could just be telling you that as a joke. The Surf hire shop staff are more likely to have gone to the address to retrieve their kit.

Up to you really. I doubt there is any arrest warrant in your name, as they have not got your full details. So visiting the UK should not be a problem.

If you want to deal with it, contact the Surf hire shop to see what happened, as I have suggested earlier.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

@unclebulgaria67

I dont think my friend told me any joke. It would be a cruel joke.

Police have my name as my friend told me. Although I didnt provide it, they could find it out through my email address or number phone. But I dont think they have my ID card. Anyway you think what I did is serious enough to put me in the "blacklist" of airport passport control?.

Maybe what you say could be a solution. I dont know.

What did you mean with trying and hiring a car in the future?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3364 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks