Unsure what to do!

Altairst8te74
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3513 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I apologise if this is the wrong part of the forum.. just unsure where to post this?

Short story:

My wife has been self-employed since 2007/8 whilst I was still on JSA. We declared everything to the DWP as I was the primary claiment. I would have to declare what was earned and our benefit was adjusted accordingly. In 2009 I decided to join my Wife fully and signed off completely.

We were informed by our local council that we could still be eligible for Housing Benefit under certain circumstances. We booked an interview and produced all of our records, accounts and tax book etc. For a period we would have to submit records etc which we did.

Then the government benefit caps came into force, our savings pushed us over the limit and thus could not get housing benefit anymore, I think this was around 2011 but need to check. Ever since that came into force we have claimed nothing regarding out of work benefits etc from the DWP, only Working Tax Credit. We do Self Assessment etc as required by the HMRC.

So fast forward to today! We get a letter in the door yesterday stating our data is being submitted to the National Fraud Initiative... I am now thinking what? Have we done something wrong?

Is this nothing and just data sharing? It seems as though they can do whatever they please.

:!:

They can forward it but what will that get them? Nothing. You dont say who is forwarding it either, your council, the DWP or HMRC.

If it is the DWP then it wouldnt surprise me as they are the most incompetent of the 3 and the hardest to talk to as you always speak to someone at the bottom of the pile who isnt allowed to see what their superiors have said or done making them look stupid when it is really the system that is on place that is stupid.

I wouldnt worry too much for the moment but come bck here if you get more correspondence.

Hello there.

I've moved your thread to the benefits forum and left a short term redirect for you to follow from the self-employment one. I think this is more of a benefits query than an employment one.

The guys should be along later if they can add to what ericsbrother has said. :)

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

They can forward it but what will that get them? Nothing. You dont say who is forwarding it either, your council, the DWP or HMRC.

If it is the DWP then it wouldnt surprise me as they are the most incompetent of the 3 and the hardest to talk to as you always speak to someone at the bottom of the pile who isnt allowed to see what their superiors have said or done making them look stupid when it is really the system that is on place that is stupid.

I wouldnt worry too much for the moment but come bck here if you get more correspondence.

These are the people: National Fraud Initiative - Audit comission

From a quick google, it appears they have been going around the country to each Borough/Council and then picking a percentage of people.

We have records dating right back to day one, we also insist everything is stamped/dated. All filed away just in case it is needed. Also the nature of our work means we have to keep records for 26years... so if they need stuff we have it here!

I will post here regarding any updates. Tbh im surprised I cannot find any more info of this kinda thing here? Unless is just normal procedures and I am fussing?

Hello there.

I've moved your thread to the benefits forum and left a short term redirect for you to follow from the self-employment one. I think this is more of a benefits query than an employment one.

The guys should be along later if they can add to what ericsbrother has said. :)

HB

Thank you :)

I was just totally unsure what, why etc... Never had this happen in the entire time we have been self employed.

So fast forward to today! We get a letter in the door yesterday stating our data is being submitted to the National Fraud Initiative... I am now thinking what? Have we done something wrong ?

Looking over the National Fraud Initiative, it is an auditing process that government departments (local, and national) along with a number of other bodies have to participate in. Your data will be just one record in a sample that will be matched with information held elsewhere. From the NFI Code of Practice:

2.2 What is data matching?

2.2.1 The Audit Commission Act 1998 defines data matching as the

comparison of sets of data to determine how far they match. The purpose

of data matching is to identify inconsistencies that may indicate fraud.

2.2.2 Where a match is found, it indicates that there may be an

inconsistency that requires further investigation. No assumption can be

made as to whether there is fraud, error or other explanation until an

investigation is carried out by the participant.

Note: "participant" will be the body involved in this exercise, not yourself.

I don't think this is anything to worry about - Who ever sent you the letter is just following "best practice" by advising you that data is being used for auditing purposes.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.